Early scan (uk)

mrs_major

Reaction score
Hi, just curious if anyone has had an early reassurance scan on the nhs? I'm only 5 weeks and seeing the GP on friday. But after 5 miscarriages I am petrified of things going wrong again. I know I can get one privately just wondered if I could persuade my GP!

Hi, just curious if anyone has had an early reassurance scan on the nhs? I'm only 5 weeks and seeing the GP on friday. But after 5 miscarriages I am petrified of things going wrong again. I know I can get one privately just wondered if I could persuade my GP!

I went privately at 6&5 and was told to come back in 2 weeks as baby measuring 5-6 weeks. Went again privately 2 days later and was the same - come back in 2 weeks. I think if you go at 6-7 weeks and not measuring on dates you will be told to come back and if you are measuring right, then there is still quite a long wait til 12 weeks. So anyway, in my experience the reassurance has turned into the opposite and won't be any the wiser for at least 1-2 weeks :(

I think by 7 weeks they can see a heartbeat if things going well (not in my case alas). But still they can't confirm whether I am miscarrying or not for another 2 weeks.

I've had 3 misscarriages and for that reason I've been booked in for a scan at 7 weeks on the NHS. I'm hoping it goes well, the midwife said they should see a heartbeat by then so fingers crossed.

Best of luck. I wouldn't go private before 7 weeks, I know it's hard to wait but sometimes they can't see a heartbeat etc and it ends up more upsetting when all you needed was another weeks growth. X

I wasn't expecting my GP to be interested as EPU had already made it clear during my losses I wouldn't be entitled to any reassurance scans and would have to go private. I mentioned the situation when I was there for my smear test though, and the GP was very sympathetic and said to let her know as soon as I got another BFP and she would refer me to EPU for monitoring and an early scan (I've had two early mc and one mmc). I'm due there tomorrow for my scan when I'll be 6+2, but really nervous it's too early to see anything and I'll be told to come back in two weeks like I was with one of my losses, even though just one week would make a big difference. Also nervous that even if things go ok tomorrow I'll then just have to wait for the normal 12 week scan knowing I had my mmc around 9 weeks with no sign anything was wrong.

I'm not sure it's anything ur go will do, more ur mw. i hope u manage to get one sorted and things go ok for u xx

I wasn't expecting my GP to be interested as EPU had already made it clear during my losses I wouldn't be entitled to any reassurance scans and would have to go private. I mentioned the situation when I was there for my smear test though, and the GP was very sympathetic and said to let her know as soon as I got another BFP and she would refer me to EPU for monitoring and an early scan (I've had two early mc and one mmc). I'm due there tomorrow for my scan when I'll be 6+2, but really nervous it's too early to see anything and I'll be told to come back in two weeks like I was with one of my losses, even though just one week would make a big difference. Also nervous that even if things go ok tomorrow I'll then just have to wait for the normal 12 week scan knowing I had my mmc around 9 weeks with no sign anything was wrong.

Good luck for tomorrow. Some people see everything by week 6.. everyone I'd different. I had a mmc too at around 8 weeks, I don't think any amount of scans is going to make you less worried about it. Just think the more time that goes by the less likely it is to happen xxx

Can you keep us updated with your scan? X

I had early scsn with both my boys as i've had 4 miscarriages & i got them no problem. I rung up the midwives today to say i'm pregnant agsin & she said ring back at 7 weeks & couldnt care less that id had multiple losses & one high risk pregnancy :( i might go and see my gp next week now xx

My midwife as refered me for s early scan but they won't do it before 8wks it feels like a lifetime to wait good luck xx

I had an early scan yesterday on NHS due to constant pain. My LMP puts me at 9 weeks today and doctor felt my uterus and said he thought i was only 6 weeks.... my scan yesterday showed me at approx 8 and a half weeks and we could see arms and legs waving around and a strong heartbeat. Doctor had said not to be disheartened if we didn't see anything at 8 weeks though and that they would keep an eye on bloods and keep repeating them.

I have had two miscarriages and an ectopic pregnancy. After my first miscarriage I was offered a reassurance scan at 7 weeks (they gave me one at 6 due to pain)- after my second loss they again offered me scans from 7 weeks then fortnightly after that, however I had an emergency scan at 5+2 due to severe pain, it was an ectopic. When I fell pregnant again I was scanned weekly from 6 weeks. I don't know what will happen next time around, but I presume a scan at 6 weeks plus fortnightly scans as a minimum.

All of this is on the NHS through my local early pregnancy unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->