Early Scan....

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by babybeemac, Dec 15, 2009.

1. babybeemac

babybeemac Well-Known Member

So, have been having a bit of a day and have worked myself up into a right state! Apologies therefore for the rambling that follows.....

Early last week I had a bit of brown/very light pink spotting which really wasn't heavy. It followed on from a weekend of strong cramps - I am fairly sure it was the weekend the wee bean implanted.

Saw the doc last Friday and she said if I did get any more spotting to let them know immediately. I had a little bit on Sunday but it was litterally one wee pink dot when I wiped. Had a bit y'day - more brownish - and today it was like (sorry...tmi but here we go...) normal clear discharge but with pink tinges. Only one wipe actually showed it...the rest I found following 'explorations' shall we say. I've been cramping quite a bit the past few days and all of that combined has got me in a panic. This is our first baby and I don't know the drill! :wacko:

Called the doc earlier but couldn't get an appointment. They did however phone me back, talked through what was going on and - to cut a long story short - I have somehow managed to get myself an early scan on Thursday afternoon!

Delighted as I hope it will set my mind at rest but also really worried in case something is wrong. I'm also well aware of the fact that (at 6wks on Thurs) I'm still really newly pregnant so very little might show up.

I was wanting to ask your advice ladies please. How does all that sound in your experience? What happens at an early scan?

xxx

2. justmarried24

justmarried24 Cautiously pregnant

I had an early scan due to some cramping and spotting at 6 weeks. They found baby by doing an internal scan and we got to see a little bean shaped baby, and also see a HB on the screen. They took measurements and things and recorded them. Not much to see, but they will want to check the baby is in the right place and that all is well. You may not hear a heartbeat, but don't worry, many people say 5/6 weeks is still too early to get one. The sonographer will give you more info. Good luck hun!
    xxxx

3. xMissxZoiex

xMissxZoiex Leo, Wyatt, Owen & Milo

Im in the same boat as you hunni i have my scan tomorrow morning i will be 7weeks thursday i know it is so scary. Just got to stay positive hope all goes well for you huni good luck! xxxx

4. wannabemamma

wannabemamma Well-Known Member

I just had an early scan at 6+6, and she warned me that she might not be able to see anything with the normal 'external' scan and might need to do an internal. As it turned out, because I had drunk so much water my bladder was HUGE (as in, you could see how huge it was) and there was a really clear pic of the bean with a little heartbeat. Very cool.

But she did warn that very often you can't see a heartbeat at this stage so don't be disheartened.

Good luck!

5. babybeemac

Well, had my scan today and the results were inconclusive! :shrug:

I had the external scan which didn't show much detail so they changed to internal. They did spot a sac which seemed to measure out at 5 + 6 which is pretty much bang on but they couldn't see much else and couldn't be 100% (I guess to cover themselves legally) that it wasn't a pool of blood and that the pregnancy isn't ectopic. They didn't see anything in either tube though when they had a nosey but they just didn't want to rule it out just now.

They took bloods to check my hcg levels and said they'd call me back today if anything worrying showed up. They haven't called so I guess that's good news for now! Have to go back in for more bloods on Saturday so they can check it's all increasing as it should and have another scan booked for Christmas Eve. Fingers, toes and everything crossed it's all good news that day and we get a nice early Christmas present!

Is it fairly common to not see much so early then? I had really hoped for a heartbeat to put my mind at rest - I know some ladies on here have been lucky in that respect - but I guess we're all different and our pregnancy is just too early in the game.

They did say it could just be a matter of a day or two out plus apparently their early scan equipment isn't as clear as the one used elsewhere in the Unit for the later stages of pregnancy.

I'm keeping positive. Will NOT turn into a neurotic mess.....hubby is 100% certain all is fine and so is managing to keep my spirits up, mostly!

xxx

6. auzelia

auzelia Well-Known Member

good luck with your follow up scans and hope all goes well

7. The Catster

The Catster Mummy of 2 girls!!!!!!!!!

I had a scan at 5 weeks, and all they could see is the egg sac and a lil dot inside, like you they said it was in the right place etc... I have my next scan on Monday.
    They couldn't see HB, but at 5/6 weeks they said it is v v unusual and that usually your hcg level needs to be at least 5000 for them to see a HB, so I suppose it all depends on how fast ur hcg levels are rising (mine were 4700), everyones different.
    Also, the sonographer said that I could have implanted later and I could be a few days out for that reason too....
    Now I am 7 weeks, I am relying a little more on symptoms like, my boob soreness is very intense now and my bowells are acting strange, and have bad bouts of nausea now.

So Christmas Eve you should be 7 weeks??? So they may find the HB for ya then!? Which, yes, would be the best Christmas present EVER!!!!

Hope this help a little!

xxx:hugs::hugs::hugs:

8. babybeemac

Big help indeed, thanks so much! I'll find out what my first HCG reading was (from today's bloods) when I go back in on Saturday. The staff have been so lovely and they're moving everything along so quickly.

Yes, should be 7 weeks on Christmas Eve so there should definitely be more to see by then! Fingers crossed!

Wishing you all the best for your scan on Monday. :hugs: xxx

9. nineena

nineena mummy to a gorgeous girl

Aww i really hope your scan and xmas eve goes well it will be the most amazing christmas present. Its good that they saw a sac and measured you at 5+6 coz i do think tht is a little early to see h/b but the fact they saw anything is really good news :) Good luck hunny xxx

10. moonlady12

moonlady12 mum to 5 wonderful kids

hiya i too am having an early scan as not sure if iam due the same day as you ie now 6 weeks 1 day or iam infact 10 wks 1 day,am having my scan wed afternoon and will post results when get bk praying to see heart beat and that all is ok very nervous gonna be a long 5 dats wait.

11. Bex1p

Bex1p Mummy of 3 little beauts!

Hiya!

I had an early scan thursday too and the sac measured 5w 6d but thats all they could see, I refused the internal so im booked in for another scan new years eve. Ive read up about it and its pretty common when scanning this early to see nothing but the sac.

12. Bec L

Bec L Proud mum to 2 girls/1boy

Fingers crossed for you hun xx

13. Bex1p

14. rosie383

rosie383 Mum of 2

I am in the same situation too. I had a bleed on Wed, at 7+1. Had a scan at hospital and the doc told me the sac was in the right place and she thought she saw a heartbeat. I returned for a more detailed scan next morning in the EPU and was really shocked when the sister told me the scan was inconclusive! My bleeding had all but stopped, and I thought I was going to be told that all was well. I only had a bleed for about 10 hours like a period, definitely not a miscarriage. I was told that there is a 50-50 chance that there is a viable pregnancy and that it was possibly just too early to see. I have all but convinced myself that it is a blighted ovum, but dh telling me to be positive. I think I just am mentally preparing myself for the worst.
    Just reading these posts, I'm starting to think that maybe the scan was the problem. The first scan that I had, they made me drink a litre of water and I was literally bursting for a pee when she scanned me. The next day in the EPU, I had to give a urine sample, then had to go to drink water and wait for the scan. I was waiting for no more than 10 minutes and definitely didn't feel as if I had a full bladder when I was scanned. I was surprised too, that it was an abdominal scan rather than a trans vaginal scan. Does anyone think that could be why they only saw a sac but nothing else?

15. rosie383

rosie383 Mum of 2

BTW, booked for another scan on 31st Dec so it will be a long couple of weeks.

16. babybeemac

Thanks for all your replies! :hugs:

Rosie, I'm probably not the best one to help out here given my own confusion but I wish you all the best. :kiss:

I had my second set of bloods taken today and took the opportunity to ask what my HCG levels were in Thursday's sample. I wasn't told the exact figure but apparently they were quite high. Which led the sister to ask the registrar to come speak to me and check over again was I experiencing any ectopic symptoms (which I'm not, thankfully). It looks like I'm just very early pregnant (with crazy hormone levels!) and they're fairly sure the scan on Thursday will show all is progressing well. Now keeping my fingers crossed that my HCG levels will have doubled - get that call on Monday - which will put me on the right track for Thursday.

I'm blaming my husband - the amount of stress this baby is causing me already....100% taking that from his/her father! :haha:

xxx

17. babybeemac

18. Bex1p

I know!

The change in just a week is amazing...no wonder pregnancy really takes it out of us!

19. rosie383

rosie383 Mum of 2

OK. Deep breath, counted to 10 etc.
    I called the EPU and got nowhere. The lady on the phone was quite sympathetic but said there was a reason why I had to wait for a scan 2 weeks later. She said she couldn't comment on the discrepancy between the 2 scans as she hadn't been present when the first one was done. She also said that an empty bladder wouldn't make a difference. Fair enough. They will not scan me until 31st. They also will not do hcg levels. She said they wouldn't do hcg levels ' for an empty sac'. Lovely.
    She said I just have to be patient and wait. So that's what I have to do.
    Just now wondering if I can persuade dh to pay out for a private scan. Found a company in Watford that does early scans for £75. What do you guys think? Is it worth it? Or will I just be throwing my money away.
    The other consideration is....... I may as well have another week of thinking I may have a viable pregnancy, rather than finding out for definite.

20. The Catster

The Catster Mummy of 2 girls!!!!!!!!!

It really depends on whay YOU can live through this next week...
    If you want to know, then yes, pay for the scan.
    If you don't and want to knowingly and willingly believe your sack is not empty over the Christmas time, then don't have the scan.

You could always go direct to your Docs and demand a HCG test (I did), say that its making you not sleep etc etc....water works if poss....and then you could get test tomoz, and then results the next day?? And then maybe another test on Thur to see if they have doubled etc?

Not an easy decision to make really!!! Talk to DH!!!!

xxx:hugs::hugs::hugs: