Early scans UK?

MummyMana

Reaction score
I know some people have scans earlier than the standard 12 week scan, and I've always wondered how? Anyone here had an early scan and how did you get referred for it?

I had an early scan at 9 weeks, only because i was suffering from bad HG and their is twins in my family so they wondered if this was the cause.

I am having a scan at 7 weeks due to a missed miscarriage in the summer. I have also booked a private scan at 10 weeks as I'd like the reassurance before Christmas - I'll be 12 weeks on the 3rd Jan so not sure when I'll get my NT scan on nhs. The private scan is £99 through Babybond X

I got a 6 week scan from ny fertility doctor, but paid for a private scan at 8w5d at Edinburgh clinic (which are highly recommended) for £95 and then il have our standard one at 12.5 week's xx

I think most early scans are referals for issues past or present or privately booked scans . We are having a scan at 9 weeks private, just a little reassurance before Christmas :)

I know I'm in New Zealand and not the UK, but we have a very similar national health system. I always had an early scan but that was because of long cycles and it was to date the pregnancy. Otherwise here we only have a 12 and a 20 week scan.

I had bleeding at what I thought was 6 weeks but I was infact 4, then another at 5 then at 7... basically until they could establish whether I was pregnant or not basically. You can book privately for an early/reassurance scan though.

Like the pp said, you only really get early scans if there is a medical concern - cramps, bleeding, previous history of miscarriage or you book it privately, I might be having one today at 8 weeks through my fertility clinic but it's definitely not as standard.

If you have had previous issues and you want reassurance they can send you for one, i asked my doctor and she referred me for one at 7 weeks

Just as everyone has said, you only get an early scan if there are any issues. If you want just reassurance you have to go private, there are lots of places doing early pregnancy scans and they seem to cost around £100.

I'm considering booking one for when I'm around 9 weeks, just being put off by the cost. Some places charge up to £150 for evening and weekend scans which I'd have to go for.

I have had early scans with all my babies x
My daughter was because we thought i was further along. With my son it was due to spotting. and then a follow up scan before my main 12week scan x
This time round the midwife thought i was further along :)

you can pay to have them privately x
I wont lie im grateful for my earlier scans as i have suffered many miscarriages

If you don't have an urgent medical need, you have to pay privately. I had one at 10 weeks because of heavy bleeding. All was fine (my daughter is 2.5 now), but it was good to be reassured and to know that the bleeding wasn't a cause for concern. I think if you don't need one, count yourself lucky!

Usually, early scans are for those with risks or those who have had a previous loss. However, my hospital has a drop in system... If you want reassurance or have had spotting or something, you can drop in, take a ticket and wait. Maybe enquire at your doctor's surgery about it? Or call the hospital?

We are getting an early scan privately. It costs £110. It's because we wanted to know all was okay before Christmas so we could tell family.
There are lots of scanning centres that offer early scans (Babybond is a well known one) but as the lady above me said, they do cost.

In my last pregnancy I had a scan at 7 weeks as they thought it was ectopic (it wasn't, phew!!).
With this one I am paying £50 to have a private scan at 9 weeks, just as I am nervous due to having a miscarriage earlier this year. Eep! I just googled private scan and where I live :)

xx

I've now booked a private scan for when I'm 9 weeks. It costs £99, I found this reputable place on Harley street (Central London) that does them on Saturdays as well so I don't have to take time off work.

I have either paid for them at private ultrasound places or had one due to cramping/bleeding at the hospital.

I've got one booked for Monday so I will be about 6 and a half weeks. I am having mine through a company called the baby centre UK.

I'm going for an early scan on Monday (I'll be 6 weeks) because during my last pregnancy I experienced bleeding and then they didn't find a heartbeat. I can't wait 12 weeks and have that happen again. Also I'very had an ectopic pregnancy in the past so they want to check it's growing in the correct place xx

I had a private one done at 7+4, costing £60. The place won't do it any earlier than 7 weeks because it's unlikely the heart would be beating and therefore the chance of loss higher

I was also referred at 10 weeks due to bleeding but it literally lasted a minute

I had a private one done at 7+4, costing £60. The place won't do it any earlier than 7 weeks because it's unlikely the heart would be beating and therefore the chance of loss higher

I was also referred at 10 weeks due to bleediyng but it literally lasted a minute

Sorry, forgive me if I have misunderstood but are you saying that you have been told that having a scan before 7 weeks could cause a higher chance of miscarriage? If that's the case, I think you are misinformed!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->