Early signs of Autism in my 16 mth. Any insight woud be appreciated!

Totmom1982

Reaction score
Hello,

Im new to this so please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong spot or use improper etiquette.
I am a stay at home housewife of 4 kids 16, 13, 10 and 16 mths.
My concern is over my 16 mth old. I'm not even sure how to explain him. He is quirky. You know how as a parent you can sense when something is off? Call it a mothers intuition. Or, i'm just going crazy but please hear me out. He has a dr. Appointment soon but for now I need someone. And my husband thinks I'm evil to even bring the topic up.
My son Tucker was born June 4th, 2017. He was a healthy babe. He was content and thiving from the get go. But again quirky.
At 3 months old Tucker would love! I mean loove the ceiling fan. He would stare and giggle at it and coo. He would also be transfixed at the credits of movies- as early as six months. He would stop whatever he was doing crawl up to the t.v. and zombie stare at them.
Other than that he was very typical and met all of his milestone timely and some early.
The concern become greater now at 16 months. He doesn't have as strong as love as he once had for closing credits but he still has these "obsessions" over things:
*Opening and shutting doors
* putting toys in drawers and containers
* his latest is his clapping his hands (yay or Patty cake) and ours. He gets so happy and excited which is great. But he could do it for an hour and if we stop he is displeased.
* he is completely fixated with two movies ( however he loves nursery ryhmes and will contently watch any)
Some of my other concerns are the following:
* doesn't make a ton of eye contact and takes three or four times when calling his name
* Does not point at objects. However will say "more" when wanting more food or more of something
* makes noices to get my attention..grunting
* on occasion he will turn my head to the direction of something he wants instead of communicating
* He can understand happiness and smiles at a smile but has yet to show empathy or am understanding of sadness
* The only milestone he hasn't 100% conqured is walking completely. He has greatly improved over the past week walking about 5-10ft before dropping down several times a day. Won't do it in public. Walks flat footed ( no tip toes)
* speach only says the following words or sounds
Momma
Dadda
Sissy
More
Apple
Baba :/
Pappa
Uh oh ( new fav)
Doo da doo of the baby shark song
Night night
Hi
Meow
* has tons of energy and goes from one task to another. I struggle taking him to sporting events and so forth as he will not sit still he wants to climb up and down the bleachers. Sees other kids and gets happy and excited and tells at them..tries to get to them.
* punishment does not phase him. He will look right at me smile and do it again. Which is saddening because my grandparents and mom never want him around because he gets into things. "Your other kids were not like that" and " you should never have to put things up for a baby" so I stay home for the most part.
* he never slept the first year. However is much better now.
* digestive issuea and has been hospitalized 2 times for severe constipation.
*struggling getting him to eat much
Things he does that makes me second guess and rationalize:
* a big cuddler wants held and snuggled.
* loves other kids and is very social with them
*He'll wave bye bye when leaving and blow kisses
* does use imaginative play with toy cell phone and pretends he is driving.
* Deep attatchmemt to all household members. Crawls to them to be held or comforted.
* loves to roll the ball back and forth. Kick the ball w his older siblings. He laugh and laugh. He is soooo happy all the time. Huge smile!

Somedays he so intentive and alert that I completely dismiss the behaviour. Then another day he'll be distant and hard to get his attention not as expressive. Im stuck between he is just a more roughty high strung boy. All my other kids were very shy and never tested too many waters. Or there is something more going on? Any advice or words of wisdom would be appreciated. Thanks! Sorry for any typos I'm on my cellphone. (Fat fingers :) )

Last edited:
I didn't want to read and run.

I know exactly what you mean by knowing something is off. I have gone through similar with my 16yo since very very early in her life (she is my #4).

My advice, YOU know something isn't right, so keep hunting for a professional that will listen and help you. I wasn't able to get help due to geographic isolation and really regret not being able to help my DD earlier in life to make her life in the now easier. She is on the spectrum somewhere, high functioning, there is no doubt.

I'm not saying your LO is on the spectrum, but if something is off to you, then something is off. Knowledge is power to be able to help him.

I didn't want to read and run.

I know exactly what you mean by knowing something is off. I have gone through similar with my 16yo since very very early in her life (she is my #4).

My advice, YOU know something isn't right, so keep hunting for a professional that will listen and help you. I wasn't able to get help due to geographic isolation and really regret not being able to help my DD earlier in life to make her life in the now easier. She is on the spectrum somewhere, high functioning, there is no doubt.

I'm not saying your LO is on the spectrum, but if something is off to you, then something is off. Knowledge is power to be able to help him.

Thank You. I often wonder if he on a more higher functioning side of the spectrum as well. That could possibly be part of my confusion. He is in a grey area. I have a friend with a three year old non verbal autistic child and at 16 months he was exhibiting much more profound behaviours. Then again I have no clue :)

Thanks so much. And on the spectrum or just my quirky happy boy we'll have a good life and be proactive.

A lot of what you've described is exactly like my daughter, a few of those things I would say are quite normal for 16 months. It may just be that his personality is very different. Are any of your older children also boys? My aunt has 3 girls 13,10+6 and a boy who's just turned 2, she noticed a lot of differences in him that she put down to being a boy (mostly being boisterous and throwing things everywhere!)
as a pp said you know your baby best, we all have tired/off days from time to time but if you're seeing something more it's best to get help sooner if you need it than struggle on

Sounds totally normal to me but you could always talk to a doctor if you are worried

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->