Easy to fit, light carseat

Kess

Reaction score
I currently can't drive, and DH works, so while I'm home during the day if something were to happen I'd be stuck. One of my dogs needed the vet the other day but I couldn't get a taxi as it isn't safe for LO, couldn't get the bus as the dog can't walk that far, and don't know anyone locally. Luckily the dog's problem wasn't immediately urgent, so we waited until DH got home, but what if it had been an emergency?

Our carseat is a big ERF one with ISOfix, which makes it impractical to use in taxis as I'd have to carry the base as well as the seat.

Does anyone know of a carseat to fit a 15lb baby up to as high as possible RF (so group 0 I guess?) that is small and light, is easily and quickly fitted so I can use it in a taxi, and doesn't have a seperate base that I'd have to lug into the vets/wherever with me?

Or have any other ideas?

Most infant carriers, if not all, will fix into a car with a seatbelt, even if they are also base compatible. Weight wise they are reasonably similar but none of them are especially light with a baby in them.

Having said that I had no problem carry Amy the short distance to and from the car in her M&P Viaggio seat last time. We have the M&P Cybex Aton this time (we are not getting a base) and although we haven't used it yet, from the fitting they did it looks even easier than the Viaggio to fit as you just run the seatbelt through the colour coded points. I think the seat itself is a little lighter and is also 0+, so hopefully will last longer than the Viaggio which was group 0 and Amy outgrew it at 6 months. I have a suspicion that 15lbs is the top end of the 0+ though.

See, my ERF seat can be fitted with a belt, but I think the belt goes through the base, which itself is kinda big and bulky, KWIM? So I guess not needing the base to fit with a seatbelt is the important thing, and being easy and quick to fit.

Just looked at the price of the Cybex anton, and think I should add "cheap" to my list of requirements! I've already shelled out for the ERF, you see, this is just a back-up that may not even be used.

Most infant carriers, if not all, will fix into a car with a seatbelt, even if they are also base compatible. Weight wise they are reasonably similar but none of them are especially light with a baby in them.

Having said that I had no problem carry Amy the short distance to and from the car in her M&P Viaggio seat last time. We have the M&P Cybex Aton this time (we are not getting a base) and although we haven't used it yet, from the fitting they did it looks even easier than the Viaggio to fit as you just run the seatbelt through the colour coded points. I think the seat itself is a little lighter and is also 0+, so hopefully will last longer than the Viaggio which was group 0 and Amy outgrew it at 6 months. I have a suspicion that 15lbs is the top end of the 0+ though.

The mamas and papas both ones you mentioned actually go upto 13kg which is around 28lbs, this is the same for most of the infant carriers but do check because some are only up to 9kg.

If it's unlikely to be used much, if at all, then I would be inclined to manage with the seat you have, as you LO will likely be far too big for a 0/0+ seat by the time it is needed.

See, my ERF seat can be fitted with a belt, but I think the belt goes through the base, which itself is kinda big and bulky, KWIM? So I guess not needing the base to fit with a seatbelt is the important thing, and being easy and quick to fit.

Just looked at the price of the Cybex anton, and think I should add "cheap" to my list of requirements! I've already shelled out for the ERF, you see, this is just a back-up that may not even be used.

Just looked on kiddicare and they have infant carriers suitable to 13kgs for just under £30, if you just want cheap and for emergencies it should be fine i would think.

The mamas and papas both ones you mentioned actually go upto 13kg which is around 28lbs, this is the same for most of the infant carriers but do check because some are only up to 9kg.

I did say suspicion :D. I'm crap with memorising measurements and weights.

It depends on how tall they are too though, as I said DD outgrew hers at 6 months, her head was level with the top of the seat.

Yeah thats true my LO is a shorty so dont have to worry about it! I dont use the infant carrier anymore but he would still fit in it if i wanted to go in someone elses car.

My son is very tall and he is still fine in his hauck infant carrier, his head is still an inch or two from the top of the seat, it works for up to 13kg as well and he is currently about 9kg, in all the cars we have tried it in, it fits very securely with the adult seat belt alone. Unfortunately it is quite an expensive seat when purchased alone; between £85 and £99 but we got it as part of a huge travel system package which was only £215 for car seat, carrycot, pushchair, two cosytoes, raincover and change bag. I am sure you can probably get something similar for cheaper though-the Fisher Price infant carrier looks decent as do Mothercares own brand xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->