Eating food with alcohol in?

MrsHedgehog

Reaction score
Last night I was at my boss' house for dinner and he'd made coq au vin. He said there was almost a whole bottle of red wine in the dish. He doesn't know yet that I'm pregnant. I couldn't think of a decent excuse to not eat the meal so I had to have some. I didn't eat a lot and afterwards I felt really sick and had pains in my stomach.

Today I have some more brown spotting (had this on and off for the past week). I'm so worried that I might have done something harmful for the baby.

if he cooked it properly then the alcohol in the wine should have cooked off, if he hadnt reduced the wine before serving the sauce then the sauce would have had a bit more of a bitter taste to it there is nothing wrong with eating food with a wine cooked in it or ale etc because the alcohol should be cooked off, especially with restaurant and shop bought items - perhaps the only thing to be avoided is cold non cooked desserts, although saying that i ate a bit of tiramisu with my ds completely forgetting it had masala wine in it and he was fine, at the end of the day women are told they can have a whole small glass of wine which is prob the amount of wine in the whole ruddy thing lol

hi, i think that when it is cooked, most if not all the alcohol burns out so there would be little no effect, please dont worry yourself, i am sure it has done you no harm at all, especially if you didnt have much and even if there was some alcohol left, it would only be a small percentage of what the original wine was - however, i am not a doctor or anything, just an opinion.

i found this online.............

Depending on how long the coq au vin is cooked, there can be amounts of alcohol still left in the sauce. Different recipes vary. For instance if you cook the wine mixture 30 minutes, there can be up to 40% of the alcohol from the wine still present. If you cook it slowly in the oven for 2 to 2 1/2 hours there can be 10 to 20% of the alcohol still present.

Don't worry about this, as the others have said the booze would've cooked off. My own doc told me last time I was expecting that it's ok to have a few drinks! I didn't touch a drop the whole time though. I don't think brown spotting is anything to worry about, more so if it was bright red, heavy bleeding.

Thanks for reassuring me. I wish I could stop worrying about every little thing!

as above, i really wouldnt worry yourself over a bit of wine in food x

Hey mrs hedgehog!
Hope your ok xx ps I've spotted and bled and everything worked out ok try an rest lost and relax your mind about it xxx

i doubt the spotting was anything to do with the meal... i wouldn't worry too much.
last night i tried a sip of my friend's drink and it splashed all in my face. karma lol!!

Nah, I wouldn't worry. They do say you can safely drink a little bit and I'm sure, as others have said, the alcohol is mostly burnt off during cooking. I made a quorn chicken and mushroom pie last night and chucked a bit of brandy in as it was bubbling away.

Good luck and congrats!

Don't worry, the majority of women don't even know they are pregnant this early and so still drink alcohol, so it's okay if it's just in food!

nah, i wouldn't worry. They do say you can safely drink a little bit and i'm sure, as others have said, the alcohol is mostly burnt off during cooking. I made a quorn chicken and mushroom pie last night and chucked a bit of brandy in as it was bubbling away.

Good luck and congrats!

yum i want ur pie

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"