Eating - Help!

Rhiannon

SAHM to Rhys
Reaction score
hi ladies.

rhys was traditionally weaned and ever since we started giving him finger foods he has become more and more fussy for things that come on a spoon, to the point where he refuses something on the spoon, wont even try it and spits it out if i can manage to get it in his mouth.

we are also getting to the point where if he doesnt like the look of whats in front of him finger food wise he will also refuse that without even trying it.

im getting to the point where im considering offering him exactly what we eat, or give him whatever i prepare for him and if he doesnt eat it then tough.

i do this with most things but im getting concerned that he is eating them same things over and over again.

im guessing its easier to stop them being fussy when they are younger than when they are older.

offered him an egg sandwich for lunch today and as soon as he saw the egg he started to scream and scrape the food out of his mouth.

what do you ladies do!!?

xx

I think it's quite common at that age. I'd definitely just offer him what you're eating and try not to watch what's going in too much. Giving him the control will probably make him more adventurous about what he'll try, especially if you're eating it too, so he knows it's safe!

Sini has been like that for a while already. We have been doing baby-led weaning, so she is still being breastfed too. She is used to share meals with us, and sometimes she doesn't bother to even look at what she has in front of her, we let her be, and sometimes she eats something. I tried not to concern myself so much, but my husband does.

For the past two or three weeks, Sini has been using her soft toys as if they were her, transference process probably. And, although we have never encourage toys at the table, she now 'invites' them over and they eat with her. That sometimes eases her interest into food. Bear in mind, that now her toys do many things with her... but that is lovely fun. I don't know if this can help your boy.

Good luck, and don't despair. It is said that they will not let themselves starve!

I think they all go through fussy periods. He eats what we eat at mealtimes (BLW), so I just make sure that there's a healthy variety for him to pick from for himself. There's always fruit and/or yogurt afterward too. The rest of the day he likes to graze so I just put out a variety of healthy snacks and bits and pieces for him to pick on while he's playing and puttering about.

im guessing its easier to stop them being fussy when they are younger than when they are older.

You can't stop them being fussy ever! Also, I don't know about others, but Ruby only started to be fussy at about 18 months. Definitely to do with them asserting their independence. Also it's easy to forget they have very small stomachs still, and sometimes they're just not hungry.

^^ definitely! Charlie's never been that fussy, but the past few weeks he's been doing the 'yukky' thing with certain foods he used to like - cheese and yogurts being the main ones. Just set the plate down and let him get on with it. I know Charlie's asserting his independence at the moment by telling me 'no want **, I want **' but I just leave whatever I've given and he usually eats it and he'll never let himself go hungry. :flower:

As mentioned by Mum2b_Claire, that they have small stomachs. Indeed! That is one of my points of view as well. Even if sometimes they eat a lot, their stomachs are small and they do not require that much food at once.

Gabriel will refuse anything if he doesn't recognize it. I have to shove a little in his mouth, so he can taste it. He'll either decide he does like it after all, or refuse it again at which point I let it go.

Megan doesnt let me put food in her mouth. Sometimes I've tried to get her just to try something but she just screams at me and refuses to open her mouth so I dont want to make it a battle or then it will get worse. So I've found its better just to let her figure it out herself. She doesnt like cantaloupe & I had been buying some now they are more in season. Well cut up cantaloupe looks like peaches to her - so all of a sudden she refused to touch any peaches! Same with chicken which she loves - well once I buy turkey which she hated - and looks exactly the same as the chicken - so now wont touch her chicken. :dohh:

If Megan takes it out of the fridge or cupboard herself she tends to eat it. But she has picky days - those are usually the days she has more tantrums and acting tired. She used to love mac & cheese. Well no more!

A couple months back her favorite word was "blech!" :rofl: I just keep offering & not push & she has eventually come around on some things.

With daycare kids it was easier when they were older. You could reason with them. They had to try 1 bite of things on there plate (unless it was something I knew that they hated then I didnt make them) Like one girl HATED bananas. Well I had to serve them to her if I served to other kids - I didnt make her take a bite though. If kids wanted more portions of something then they had to eat the other food. So if they wanted more noodles they had to eat the peas. If they were hungry or liked the noodles enough they would eat the peas. They eventually learned the rule - so if they didnt like something they could decide not to eat it - but if they wanted more then they ate without me having to even remind them. They were also more willing to try new foods as you could make a game out of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"