• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Eating jelly beans?

Calcifer

Reaction score
Hi all - quick question for anyone who has a sweet tooth. I restrain myself most of the time but I lost the plot tonight and ate a handful of jelly beans and a couple of caramels.

I wonder if anyone knows the effect of sudden consumption of sugar for the baby? I'm a bit worried I may have done something stupid... Can the body regulate itself without affecting the baby?

Good God. Just eat the jelly beans. Sudden consumption of sugar? As opposed to pre planned consumption? It's just some jelly beans, that is nowhere near enough to make a body have any kind of after effects, let alone any to the foetus. Your body doesn't have to "regulate" itself after a handful of sweets, baby or no baby.

Mmm now I want some jelly beans.

You're probably fine. I wouldn't worry too much. Lots of ladies have sugary cravings while pregnant. Most of them give in from time to time. <3

Cool good to know that it's not that bad. I'm just super conscious of it because my doctor said I *could* potentially maybe perhaps be a candidate for gestational diabetes and I've been quite good at avoiding sugary things overall... I just love a good jelly bean from time to time :thumb up:

By regulate I meant the insulin rush which has to happen to handle a sudden intake of sugar... By sudden, I mean a huge intake in a short amount of time compared to normal.

It does sound like you're being careful. I would say as long as you don't do it all the time, you should be ok. I hope you don't have gestational diabetes, but even if you do, I would imagine that a little bit here and there won't hurt. If you aren't sure though, maybe see if your doctor can do a blood sugar test?

We all worry like crazy. You are totally entitled to being a crazy worried pregnant woman. I know I am. :wacko:

It does sound like you're being careful. I would say as long as you don't do it all the time, you should be ok. I hope you don't have gestational diabetes, but even if you do, I would imagine that a little bit here and there won't hurt. If you aren't sure though, maybe see if your doctor can do a blood sugar test?

We all worry like crazy. You are totally entitled to being a crazy worried pregnant woman. I know I am. :wacko:

Haha I am the classic definition of crazy worrier... yeah it's unlikely I have diabetes but I started this pregnancy slightly over my ideal weight so the doctor just said to be careful... I guess they'll do all those tests at the 12 week scan.

So long as it doesn't hurt the baby I don't care too much right now about any effect to me right now. Yeah this is not regular it's once in a very rare while.

Um, you don't want to know how much candy I've binged on when I have a craving. As long as I don't do it every day and remember to eat plenty of actual food, not replace food with sweets...

I have been eating candy non stop for weeks now and baby is just fine. Give into the jelly beans! I ate an entire bag of Hershey kisses the day before my "20" week scan -- I was 18 weeks at the time-- baby was awesome! Though a bit stubborn in its lying on its side, smacking itself in the face, laying on its other arm and it took her forever to get a good shot of the feet bc baby kept kicking. Lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"