• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Eating too many sweets!

BellaBlu

Lovin' my boys :)
Reaction score
I'm starting to feel guilty about my eating habits =\ I can't seem to get enough sugar! Cake, cookies.. candy..chocolate etc. I know they say everything is fine in moderation but I'm afraid maybe I've been overdoing it. I can sit down and eat a half a box of cookies at one time! :nope:

What effects does this have on LO? I feel horrible and I'm afraid that I'll make him hyperactive or colic or something because of my eating habits. I'm right on track for weight gain (gained 24-25 pounds so far, was underweight previously) .. but I am really starting to feel guilty about it. I'm having a harder time staying away from sweets than I had quitting smoking when I found out I was pregnant! That can't be good :shrug: ..

I have been tested for GD and was fine, no sign of it.. but my question is.. is this harming LO in any way? Any tips for getting past the cravings?

Not got advice on how it affects LO but am feeling the same way as you .. cant stop with the junk food & the chocolate atm, its just easier to eat when im hungry & cba to cook something healthy :( am worried LO isnt getting enough vitamins etc ..

I've been having the same problem...all I want is sweet stuff and water...I'm trying to resist as I don't want to cross over into GD...i only passed by 3 points...lol I really don't know the affects on the baby, but I'm sure its not good for us to eat sweets all the time, especially large quantities at one time...but easier said than done :blush:

Oh hunni, I've went crazy on sugary stuff throughout this pregnancy...cookies, cake, brownies, chocolate, you name it! You should be fine, you're within "normal" weight gain, no GD, I'm sure your LO is just perfect! If you still crave the sweets, I've found eating fruit with cool whip is a healthy way to curb the craving and it's still healthy, but try not to fret babes, if you're worried, you can always talk to your Dr. for reassurance. xx

Thanks ladies! Just feel awful that I don't even have enough self control to eat healthy all the time, seems like a simple task.. but I'm amazed at how difficult it is!

:hugs:

If you're all worried, why don't you just take some good pregnancy vitamins & a bit more water... atleast then you know even if u get fat ur baby will take what they need 1st and be healthy :]

xx

When i first got pregnant, everyone said, "just eat what you like and then worry about the weight & diet etc afterwards" so obv at the time i just thought i'd put weight on, so i was eating loads of chocolate, biscuits, ice cream etc but at my 28 week appointment i got told she was measuring a week bigger, which isn't a problem but i then got told that the baby can get used to having loads of sugar and then when they're born they can have low blood sugar, so since then i've cut down sugar alot.

Im the same with junk food, im terrible! As long as your eating other things apart from junk food then the baby will take what he needs from the rest of your diet :)

I spent 8 months of my last pregnancy eating crisps and chips. That was when I managed to eat anything... Byron is perfectly healthy. This pregnancy has been similar but i've been better able to stomach real food so have a little better. The baby takes what it needs. You might feel more rubbish for eating crap but I think you'd have to eat really astonishingly badly for it to affect the baby. Obviously if someone already had GD then there are different considerations.

And if it's your weight after that you're worried about, there's no diet like the bf diet. I was never so thin and healthy as when I was bf my son.

Every pregnancy I get this. Seriously, before I get PG I eat very healthy and don't drink pop. I don't have cravings and can't handle sweets all that much.

Then I get PG and everything is out the window. I crave baked goods like cakes, cinnamon buns, brownies,... I want pop and even though before pregnancy coke tastes like acid to me I will even pour myself a tall glass of cold coke and guzzle it down.

I know the effects it has on me. I still get plenty of healthy food too and take my vitamins. However because I am consuming a lot of empty calories I gain weight. Tons of it. This PG I started at 115 lbs and now I am at 157 lbs and no signs of slowing. With my other two PG I only gained about 30-35 lbs, but I started heavier and had water retention so I looked like I was 250 lbs when I finished. I was massive and to me I resembled the State puff Marshmallow man. I was huge. This time I see tons of weight on my legs and on the under part of my belly... so my belly is going to be saggy and I will have to work hard to get rid of a ponch later.

Both times I have eaten whatever I have felt like no worries how much sugar / fat etc. This pregnancy I have tried much harder at trying to take my iron and vitamin supplements because low haemoglobin can be one of teh reasons they refuse you a home birth, which I really want.

However, that said, something that really caught me out in my first pregnancy was that at 40weeks +8/+9/+10 I was having glucose (sugar) in my urine, which is a sign that your kidneys aren't processing as efficiently as normal. It was the reason in the end that they took me in for an induction, even though I really wanted to wait and have a home birth.

Gwen was born totally healthy at 40 +15, and the midwives said that judging by the look of her they had got my EDD wrong and she wasn't late at all.

My point is that if I had been a bit healthier with my eating habits at the end of teh pregnancy (the night before one urine test I had a whole tub of Ben and Jerry's for example) then maybe my urine wouldn't have had glucose in it and I could have stuck with my instincts and refused the induction for longer.

Hope this makes sense and is useful for someone.

i always had a small sweet tooth but pregnancy makes it worse. I always used to have 3 sugars in my tea. Once pregnant with leo i went up to 4sugars. Went back down to 3 and now i'm pregnant again i'm back up to 4sugars in each cup. At the moment my weakness is foxes party ring biscuits i'll easily eat at least 6 or 7 right after one another. And dr pepper is a must! Now easter is approaching i'm begining to get the urge for cream eggs too which could be bad- as a kid i could eat 6 of those a day x x

I've had the sugar cravings, too! One thing I do is help them is to eat cereal. If I eat something like Honey Nut Cheerios, then I'm getting the sweet, plus some whole grains and nutrients, plus the milk. So I feel much less guilty! I certainly eat my share of muffins, cookies, and ice cream, but I figure if I replace one of those with cereal, that's helping a bit! Also granola bars.

UGH! Bella- I ATE 8 COOKIES LAST NIGHT! I couldn't help it! I need a salad today! And soem veggies with dinner. Seriously. Lots of sugar can make the baby grow bigger is what I was told but besides that doesn't seem like much. I splurged- I need to take it easy though.

Cake with cream, coffee with cream, dried/stewed fruit with cream - if it's not creamy then I'm not interested!! Even added mascarpone and cream to pasta sauce!!
I'm not usually bothered about sweets and puddings but right now can't get enough! And I'm diabetic!! Odd thing is my blood sugars haven't gone up at all and not needed to change my medication and though he is big for dates babies growth has been consistent and not any faster since the sugar cravings started.

i have found that the later iv got in pregnancy my need for sweet things has got worse, im the same at the moment cant seem to get enougth suger,and im ever so thirsty

I am the same, I've never been a huge chocolate person but I could happily eat a big bar of choc a night, same with doughnuts, ice cream, cookies etc :blush:

I am trying to balance it out by eating well through out the day, drinking as much water as possible, getting my 5 a day and then in the evening I will allow myself the sweet things I want.

It seems to be working well for me, baby is measuring spot on, I'm not gaining a stupid amount of weight like I did with our daughter (when all I wanted to eat was chips and cheese! :dohh: )

xXx

i always had a small sweet tooth but pregnancy makes it worse. I always used to have 3 sugars in my tea. Once pregnant with leo i went up to 4sugars. Went back down to 3 and now i'm pregnant again i'm back up to 4sugars in each cup. At the moment my weakness is foxes party ring biscuits i'll easily eat at least 6 or 7 right after one another. And dr pepper is a must! Now easter is approaching i'm begining to get the urge for cream eggs too which could be bad- as a kid i could eat 6 of those a day x x

Only 6 or 7 ? I can eat the whole packet :lol:

IN both mypregnancies I have actually gone off chocolate totally in the first tri - but oh boy have I made up for it since! I've always had a sweet tooth but it seems like pregnancy makes me lose my willpower. I just find it SOOOO hard to resisit chocolate and cakes! So far my weight gain has been OK but I know it is going to speed up in third tri if I'm not careful. I had my GTT on Thursday as my dad has type 2 diabetes and I am really worried I'm going to fail it :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"