eating

spicyorange

Reaction score
I've been in a calorie controlled diet for a couple of years before ttc, I lost 3st then managed a stable weight for about 4-5 months before ttc. Now that I'm pg I'm finding it hard to find the line between need and greed... if I eat what I used to I feel sick and woozy, but I feel like I'm stuffing my face.I dont want to get fat and I know I shouldn't be eating for two but I can't seem to know how to judge what's ok and when to give in to temptation and when to resist. anyone with any advice or in the same position?

I didn't lose as much as you but lost just over 2 stones after DS. I've maintained for a few years and about half a stone has crept back on. With this pregnancy I always feel hungry!! I'm going with it and the weight can come off later x

Stick to healthy choices (fruit, veggies, yogurt) between meals, and make sure you're staying hydrated. If your extra calories are coming from nutritionally valuable sources, you won't gain nearly as much; it also won't have negative impacts on your insulin, etc. The rule of thumb is adding 300 calories per day to what you ate pre-pregnancy. H&H 9 months to you!!

I was told you don't need to eat more in your 1st trimester then you would normally. It's the 2nd trimester on when you should be eating 300 more calories then normal. I have the opposite problem as I cannot eat barely anything and not nearly as much as I did before pregnant. I've lost 10 lbs total since getting pregnant just by not being able to eat much at all. Hard to believe I've lost 10 lbs with as many sugary Popsicles I've been eating. I haven't even thrown up once. My doc said as long as your taking prenatals daily not to worry about how much I'm eating til 2nd trimester when it's important to eat enough!!

I second Tristansmom. I'm constantly eating, and I was sure I had to be gorging and overeating. BUT as soon as I got my BFP I switched over to all natural and all organic stuff from Trader Joe's. One day, I ate soo much! So I downloaded a calorie app and typed everything in thinking I had to be over 2300. WRONG! Despite everything I ate, I was only around 1900!

So my advice is to keep it healthy. I eat a lot of apples, bananas, walnuts, non fat yogurt, pb sandwiches on whole grain bread. Dinners I just keep lean meats around, open the fridge, and make something with whatever green stuff and some meat. Like tonight I had sautéed angus beef cutlets with broccoli wrapped in a whole grain tortilla with shredded pasteurized sharp cheese and washed it down with two cups of milk. Not gonna lie. It was kind of amazing.

Wait a few weeks and if MS kicks in you won't want to open your fridge or cook anything until it's gone. I'm a big cook and love to cook but I haven't in over a month. Last night was dying for spaghetti but the thought of cooking it and the smells seemed awful so I had to buy some from a local pizza place.

With DD I just ate and ate and ate. I gained 53 pounds.

I agree with the others about the healthy choices. What I've found useful now is that I eat a little slower. It gives my body a chance to keep up with hunger ques. I've always been a fast eater, so this is new to me lol But what I also started doing is if I still feel hungry after I've eaten, I give it about half an hour to see if I'm still hungry.

More often than not, I feel satisfied/full, so I'm guessing my hunger ques just haven't caught up with my pace, even during the times I try to eat slower.

7weeks and no m&s so I'm hoping it's not coming, I used to love apple but I literally can't face them so healthy is a real struggle, I'm craving hot food, especially bad things like burger and chips, I hadn't been eating that but it's so hard to eat healthy when fruit turns your stomach. I've been eating dry fruit as thats ok but I want carb.

Most carbs (buns, breads, rolls etc) contain enriched white flour, which has lots of iron - maybe what you're really wanting is the extra iron? Can you manage spinach, kale, or other greens? Or almonds/other nuts? That might help the cravings...!

I think eating protein-rich foods, as opposed to carbs or sweets, will help with baby's growth and help you keep off extra pounds. That way you can still choose hot foods, but maybe have them grilled instead of fried, without a ton of fattening condiments (mayo, cream sauces, etc). Lean protein is healthier for you than a bunch of fruit, IMO. Fruit is good in moderation but it also has a lot of sugar (natural sugar, but still affects your insulin levels). So I wouldn't stress if you don't want fruit. Maybe add some steamed veggies to your hot meals, and of course take a quality prenatal.

I've been giving into my cravings, but if it's something unhealthy I do it in small doses. Like if I want a butterfinger bar, I have a bag of the butterfinger bites and I will have 2 - 3 to make myself happy.

7weeks and no m&s so I'm hoping it's not coming, I used to love apple but I literally can't face them so healthy is a real struggle, I'm craving hot food, especially bad things like burger and chips, I hadn't been eating that but it's so hard to eat healthy when fruit turns your stomach. I've been eating dry fruit as thats ok but I want carb.

I hear you! I am typically a VERY HEALTHY eater but for weeks 6-8, I couldn't really down any veggies because they did not appeal to me AT ALL. I did like fruit, however. My husband and I like doing green smoothies in the AM because it helps to get your veggies in quickly and you can mask the flavor with a banana and some yogurt lol!

I second PP. Yogurt is kind of amazing just check it is nonfat and made from pasteurized milk. I don't know who you stomach a green smoothie! Those made me sick pre-pregnancy haha ;)

I am normally a very healthy eater and definitely watch my carb intake. As soon as ms kicked in though, I have had a really difficult time eating vegetables and find myself craving starchier carbs like potatoes and breads, and foods that are salty, which I don't normally eat. I've also been finding it extremely difficult to get enough water in these days as well, so I'm pretty bloated and dehydrated.

Its starting to get me down, but the exact same thing happened with my first pregnancy. I told myself I wasn't going to gain as much weight in the first trimester as I did last time, but I'm not sure I can make that happen.
I'm exercising a ton more than I did during my first pregnancy though, so hoping that will make a difference.

With ds I gained 40 lbs and that was at 37 weeks when I was induced, who knows what I would have gotten up to had I gone past my due date. What I'm hanging onto though, is that I ended up losing all the weight by 6 weeks post pardom, doing nothing but breastfeeeding. Here's to hoping that history will repeat itself in that sense too

My doc told me to eat little portions all day (it helps ease my nausea). I basically don't stop eating from sun up to sun down, but it's little things. Right now, I'm on a chocolate covered almond & pistachio kick. So, I pop one in my mouth every couple minutes to keep myself full :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->