ebm, mixing milk from different expressing sessions.

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by Bug11, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Bug11

Bug11 Well-Known Member

I've recently started expressing and lo typically takes 3oz at a time. If I express in the eve I typically only get 1-2oz bit in the mornings I can express 4-5 oz. For storage purposes both in the fridge and freezer Am I ok to mix milk from different pumping sessions as long as they are both within the same couple of days?

2. kermie219

kermie219 Well-Known Member

I sometimes do if I only manage a few ounces? I'll save it and pump again in the morning and put them together? And sometimes if what I pump is mostly foremilk I mix it with another as well...sure hope it's not a bad thing I never even thought?

3. evasmum

evasmum Precious Eva & due 05 Nov

I've just been reading the guidelines on Kellymom website, really helpful thing I've just printed for the fridge door:

https://www.kellymom.com/store/freehandouts/milkstorage01.pdf

This bit answers youe questions:

"Milk from different pumping sessions/days may be combined in one container – use the date of the first milk expressed"

4. ashley2pink

ashley2pink Mom to 4 girls

I do this. I dont want to use up so many bm bags so I fill them up to about 6 oz and that means a couple pumping sessions since I only pump couple times a day with a manual when I'm a little too full. I'm sure its fine. I actually just pump right into previously expressed milk thats been in the fridge