Ectopic or miscarriage??????

Amberg1

Mother of 2 boys
Reaction score
I had a BFP 2 weeks ago on thursday. Last week had a bit of spotting which eventually turned into full on bleeding on friday. I had an emergency scan at hospital and there wasn't anything in my uterus....not even a sac. My HCG levels were 742 which is a positive level. I went back for blood test yesterday and was told my HCG levels have only decreased by 100. The midwife has asked me to go back tomorrow for more blood test and if my HCG levels ahven't decreased more rapidly then I may need an injection called Methotrexate which is used for ectopic pregnancies although the hospital haven't confirmed this is an extopic pregnancy. Don't know what to think now. I've read that once you have this medication you cannot start trying again for 3 months and I really wanted to start trying straight away. Another thing that hasn't made this any easier is that my best friend found out she was pregnant around the same time so we were so excited about going through this together. She was actually in the waiting roomat the hospital waiting for an emergency scan herself when I found out I had lost mine which was awful.
Sorry for long post but am really confused and although my tests are tomorrow I'm worried that something may happen before ie my tube getting blocked and having to have surgery. I keep thinking I can feel pains down below but am I actually feeling them because I know that this may be ectopic.
Has anybody else been in this situation????

I had a blood test when I was 7 weeks as I was bleeding and they couldn't see anything convincing on the scan. The hcg results were through the roof (greater than 10,000) I was told that this was probably an eptopic but come back in 1 week for repeat u/s. The scan then showed a sac measuring 5 weeks ish but no yolk sac or fetal pole and then tried telling my I had my dates wrong. I knew I wasn't wrong but went back in 1 week and still only sac and no baby so had a blighted ovum diagnosed not an eptopic.

I know what you mean about taking Methotrexate I did a lot of reading about this and wasn't keen on taking it as it would have ment we couldnt TTC for 3 months but i feel it is a small price to pay for keeping your fallopian tube.

Sorry if this has been no help!!! Thinking of you xxx

It sounds to me like a pregnancy of undiagnosed location this means they cannot rule out an ectopic.
As for the pain where are you feeling it?
I have had 3 ectopics and have lost my only remaining tube (dec this year).
If your levels are dropping slowly then it does ring alarm bells for the doctor's, the Methotrexate is a hell of alot easier to deal with than major surgery believe me.

Thanks for your reply,

Did you end up taking the Methotrexate?
I jst hope my HCG levels have decreased loads but I'm not holding out much hope as my boobs are still tender and have been for the last 5 weeks!!
I am planning to get married next year and was going to do it in June but am thinking to now do it later in the year to give me a chance to pregnant beforehand and then loose the weight. It doesn't help that my best friend is preggers aswell. I'm so confused as I don't know if I want to try again so soon because of my friend. Hopeflly I will have some more answers tomorrow.

xxx

It sounds to me like a pregnancy of undiagnosed location this means they cannot rule out an ectopic.
As for the pain where are you feeling it?
I have had 3 ectopics and have lost my only remaining tube (dec this year).
If your levels are dropping slowly then it does ring alarm bells for the doctor's, the Methotrexate is a hell of alot easier to deal with than major surgery believe me.

Hi Donna,

The pain just feels like period pains but nothing too excrutiating. I have been told that if it is eptopic then when you press on your stomach then it would be very very painful and it's not.
I would have only been 5 weeks and started spotting at about 4+5, but all the the ectopic posts I have read have all happened at 7-8 weeks so can mine be serious?

I had the injection but my levels still remained above 500 so ended up having emergency surgery to have the tube removed.
I have stopped bleeding now 6 weeks after and all symptoms have gone, it's not unusal to have sore boobs etc for a couple of weeks after something like this.
This is going to be a highly emotional time for you so I wouldn't plan anything drastic just yet, you will need time to recover mentally aswell as physically.
Don't rush into trying again too soon honey your body will only take so much xx

Amberg, don't know if you have yet or not, but have a look at the Miscarriage Support (I'm a link, click me!) section of BnB. I had something similar to yourself (pregnancy of unknown location) and I found a lot of answers there. :)

Hi Amber.
So sorry you are going through this.
I was in a similar situation last June. I was 7 weeks pregnant at the time, and started spotting, then bleeding heavily. They scanned me and found nothing in my uterus. My HCG levels continued to rise slowly, and I was still having pregnancy symptoms. They decided it must be an ectopic, and offered me the Methotrexate injection or to remove my tube.
I chose the methotrexate. They advised me to wait 6 months before TTC, as the drug can linger in your system for that long, and cause serious deformities to any babies conceived within that time. But I think the 6 month wait was a small price to pay for saving my tube. At least I still have both my tubes, and therefore a greater chance of conceiving now.
If I were you, (depending on todays HCG results) I would have the methotrexate injection. If you decide to wait it out, your tube could rupture which is potentially fatal. Sorry if thats TMI, I just want you to be aware.
Good luck Hun, and if you need to talk, you know where I am
xx

Hi Amber

I had an ectopic in Jan 2010 and I had started bleeding so they did my bloods and they were only going down a little bit. I did get told it was more likely a miscarriage but later the same day I was in absolute agony as my tube had started to rupture and I had to have it removed. the pregnancy I had after that one they suspected ectopic again but I didn't think it was, they offered me the injection but I didn't have it which was lucky as it was a miscarriage.
Did they give you any information about it because it is better to wait 6months before trying again Xx

I had a 4th lot of bloods in a week taken today. They have gone from 619 on wednesday to 491 today so really good news :thumbup:. Before I got the results the midwife did warn me I may need to go in for a laporoscopy but because of HCG results and progesterone levels they don't think it's eptopic and just a failed pregnancy so I don't need to have that done now. I just really want to get to 0 so I can start trying again. I think they'll just get me in for bloods once a week now.

Thanks for all your replies :hugs:

yeah they have done that with me b4 cos sumtimes the hcg can take a while 2 go down. Glad its not looking like ectopic x

Hey Amber.
Glad its not an ectopic. But so sorry that it is a miscarriage Hun.
I am thinking of you and your angel
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"