Eczema question.

Discussion in 'Toddler & Pre-School' started by Mrs-N, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Mrs-N

Mrs-N Mummy to Joshua James

joshua has had dry skin on his arms and legs for a while now and the HV told me that it was just dry skin and to just use Aqueous cream.

hes always had it but it isnt going away with the Aqueous cream.

ive called doctors to book him in to get seen but hes got to wait 3 weeks to see the doctor.

ive noticed this morning that at the back of his knees are dry and look like they are gonna crack.

is there any cream i can use thats stronger and i can get it without seeing the doctor?

2. Wellington

Wellington Mum of 3!

When you say aqueous cream, do you mean E45 like stuff?
    That might do the trick. Just make sure you get the one suitable for babies too (I nearly bought a 'extra itchy' one that wasn't suitable for babies - in reeeally small writing!)

3. Whisper

Whisper Mummy to DD & DS

How frequently are you applying the cream?

Eczema is caused by dry skin, so i would try and moisturise at least twice maybe 3 or 4 times a day(or each time you change his nappy?). In the winter it always get worse because of the central heating, so you could try and bathe him every other day and/or use oilatum in the bath.

4. Mrs-N

yep aqueous cream is like E45 cream.

ive used oilatum but hasnt done anything.

i put it on really thick about 3 times a day.

5. mommyof3co

mommyof3co Mommy of 4 amazing boys!

I'm not sure what the stuff is you're using since we have different things, but here a good OTC thing to try if regular creams aren't working is hydrocortisone 1% cream...do yall have that? I would try that on the bad spots and cover it with regular cream and see if that helps.

6. mamato2more

mamato2more Number 9 on the way

I have gotten my children allergy tested for things like this..One would always get little pimple like things on his face around birthdays...Turns out, he's allergic to egg whites..Duh..eggs in the cake...I just had the doc order a blood test..It's much easier than the pricking on the back tests..

7. stellybobs

stellybobs One baby and one doggy!

My Lo has quite bad eczema at the mo (he's six months) we started on aqeous cream but with not much relief. Now we wash him with aqueous no soap, oilatum in bath. He has doublebase and epaderm now (both of which are super greasy:sad2:) which seem to be working! Any way we have tried a few, we tried diprobase after aqueous which might help if t's not to bad at the moment, and you can defo buy over the counter. Why not see if you hv will prescribe him something, that is who we see about his creams and she prescribes it all. I really hope this helps it's rotten for them to be so itchy and dry isn't it, (oh and maybe watch for anything perfumed next to lo skin it might aggrevate it).
    V x x x.

8. Mrs-N

ive been into the chemist today to get some different cream for him and the woman said that its the aqueous cream thats making it bad.
    its not eczema as such but hes got it because im using the aqueous cream.

shes given me E45 cream and has told me to stop using the aqueous cream.

im so annoyed as both the HV and doctor had told me just to use the aqueous cream.
    and like they said ive been putting it on about 4 times a day. and its been making it worse.

i feel such a bad mummy.

9. Whisper

Whisper Mummy to DD & DS

Dn't feel bad, aqueous cream is usually recommended because its pure and doesn't have a load of junk in it, i use on my skin and it never irritates my eczema.

Personally i am not convinced that the pharmacist can decide that the aqueous cream is making it worse.

10. Mrs-N

i was told it isnt eczema and its a rash from the aqueous cream.

11. irenepc

irenepc Active Member

I agree, don't feel bad. It's all trial and error to find the best cream for eczema as what works for one person will not work for another :)
    My LO has eczema and at first, she was prescribed aqueous cream - I think it is just the routine thing to do. It made her worse too - more dry skin and some of it was weeping so I went back to the dr. He then gave me doublebase but this is quite light but very oily. But that didn't work either! She's now on Epaderm which is really good. You have to moisterise all the time - basically if you have eczema, you have to keep the skin supple with emoillient as if it gets dry, any bacteria will get in the cracks and it could get infected. I try to do it at every nappy change.
    Oilatum in the bath is good too as I think it is antiseptic so will clean effectively. We also got told to bath her at least once a day. When she was really bad, I was bathing her once in the morning and once in the evening. It gets rid of any dry skin and any bacteria and puts some moisture into the skin which you can then also help lock in by applying some emoillient.
    If Joshua's legs get worse and they don't seem to be getting better, ask to be referred to a dermatologist and also ask about wet wraps. They will offer some protection from scratching and also helps the emoillient work better. Try not to let Joshua get too hot as eczema always itches more when it's hot.
    Hope this helps!

12. irenepc

irenepc Active Member

PS if you want to see the dr quicker, maybe go for an emergency appt and say it's affecting his sleep and your sleep...
    Good luck!

13. oxfairycakexo

oxfairycakexo Well-Known Member

Hi, I have a 12 month old son and he has eczema. The doctor gave me Emulsifying Ointment to use on it, her words were 'Grease him up like a chip!!' It is really greasy but seems to be doing the trick.

I also bought infaCare baby bath ultra mild from ASDA as Johnsons wasn't helping his eczema at all! It was under £5 so not overly-expensive and I've only used it three times. The outcome is amazing! His eczema has actually completely cleared up within a week!

You can also get infaCare shampoo, which I haven't needed to buy as the bath foam & cream off doc has done wonders all ready!

I also have a little bit of dry skin/eczema on my back and used the infaCare in my bath the other day... it's cleared mine up, too. Unbelievable! I'm not sure if you can get it on perscription off the GP but I think the £4-odd is definitely worth it.

Definitely worth a try :) xx

14. oxfairycakexo

oxfairycakexo Well-Known Member

Oh, I forgot to add - I also use Johnsons extra protection skincare wipes (help protect from redness and irritation). My LO had a big patch of eczema at the bottom of his back and the normal wetwipes were making it worse. I find these wipes are a lot better for his skin.

Good Luck. x

15. Petitguili23

Petitguili23 Well-Known Member