effect of penicillin on newborn?

cutie4evr01

Reaction score
I just got the call from my OB that I've tested positive for group B strep, so I'll be given penicillin through an IV as soon as I get to the hospital. I know the effects of GBS on a newborn are pretty severe, but does anyone know if there are any effects on the baby from taking penicillin? Thanks!

sorry didnt want to read and run but i dont know - i had it with jack but wasnt diagnosed until he was 10 days and he never had penecillin

At the previous hospital I worked at, we gave Amoxicillin and Gentamicin; whereas where I work now we give Benzylpenicillin (Penicillin G) and Gentamicin - (the BenPen/Amox are very effective against strep while the Gent is a good broad-spectrum antibiotic) just the doctors' preference really. Anyway, those (the BenPen and Amox) are penicillins. As they are given IV, they do not need to be given for very long (a few days). However, at both hospitals, we would test the Gentamicin (which is an aminoglycoside) levels, as it can build to toxicity if left unchecked (deafness is a side effect of the toxicity, if I remember correctly). I'm sure your hospital will have it's own protocol for keeping an eye on the levels to ensure this doesn't happen. I've never known a baby to have problems with it, as it is standard procedure to monitor the Gentamicin levels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->