Eilidh

VALiz

Reaction score
Hi! I’m due with a girl at the end of Dec. I have an almost 4 year old little boy named Grant. I’m in love with the name Eilidh. I would like to use the spelling too as that’s the true name. This would be an unfamiliar name for many people over here (US) and I would have to explain how to pronounce it (Aylee.) However, I love it. Am I crazy? My husband likes the name too.

Thanks for your input!

You're not crazy, I love it as well.
Also from the US
If you love it, use it <3

People will call her A-leed and Eye-lid a lot, I think. And she'll have to spell her name all of the time.

It is pretty though.

It's one of my favourites. ♡ I live in Scotland though where almost everyone knows how to pronounce it!

I love it but I’m from the US and pronounced it eyelid #-oI think you are going to find a lot of mispronunciations, spelling corrections and frustrations over the years, but it is really beautiful!!! So tricky

I'm from Scotland where it's really popular so have never had a problem pronouncing it but I know that people even in England struggle with it (I have a friend who has been called Eyelid plenty of times). I think that it's one of those names that people will struggle to pronounce and spell if they are unfamiliar with it. That said so long as you don't mind having to correct people (and for her to have to do the same in the future) I say go for it. I actually really liked the variant Eilish (Ay-lish) if one of our boys had been a girl.

I love it, but yes, you'll have a lot of people not know how to pronounce it. I"m in the US. My daughter's name is Aliyah and I constantly have people pronounce it wrong. They pronounce the 'liy' as lie instead of lee. Sometimes I wish I had spelled it more phonetically, but it's not a huge deal. Once she or I correct someone, they usually get it afterwards. So you may have to correct people a few times, and every year in school, but if you love it, then I'd use it. I work in the school system, and we are used to asking kiddos how to pronounce their names.

I have an Eily (pronounced eye-lee like Eileen)

I love Eilidh and I’m in Ireland and know a few Eilidhs

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->