elevated insulin level... now what?

bulldogmom09

Reaction score
I tried searching the forums but my phone won't let me for whatever reasonso forgive me if this has already been discussed... I went for my ovarian ultrasound today, and when i was checking out, the nurse told me my insulin level was 30.9 (normal range is 5-25) and my vitamin d was low. I go back for my formal results meeting with my Dr on may 28. So what should i expect? Is there anything i should bring up? I've always been healthy so i guess im just overwhelmed with thoughts and everything is jumbled up.
I would love to hear your about your experiences. Thanks ladies!

Vit D is so essential to hormones and metabolism, I went 7 months without af, and once I had my vit d corrected af came back. I come from somewhere that has decent sun maybe 2 months of the year, and I would often skip cycles and they would magically come back once summer came.

I also had problems with insulin resistance.

My experience is these things are completely reversible with diet changes and fixing your d problems. And I do believe you will find an improvement with insulin once the d is corrected.

I personally eat an organic diet which keeps me good, but if you follow any diabetic diet or ir diet you should notice changes quite quickly.

Of course- this was only my experience, and is only my opinion :)

I was given vit d in high doses once a month then supplemented after that until my levels were optimum, I now use a sunbed twice a week instead of sups and it works a charm.

As for insulin I turned down meds and just made diet changes. If I eat no sugars and nothing refined I ovulate perfectly and on time, if I eat badly it 100% delays ovulation.

They will typically give you metformin https://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-medication/metformin-side-effects.html

The south beach diet is great, there are a few others that will actually correct the problem over time and stop the development of diabetes in most cases.
I find this site mynetdiary.com great because it calculates your carb protein fat intake so you can know exactly where your at.

Unfortunately I feel like a lot of us are biologically more sensitive to foods, and develop problems a lot easier. I was not unhealthy prior, but it turns out that I just have to eat a perfect diet to function properly :(

Here is a link to a forum discussing met

https://www.healthboards.com/boards/weight-loss/546783-insulin-resistance-metformin.html

Your doctor, if they recommend it, will tell you are you really need it or if diet alone will work :)

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with me. I was actually quite relieved when they told me i had an elevated insulin level... I was so worried that i wasn't gonna get any answers as to why i couldn't get pregnant. And i know that it may not be the only reason but it feels good to know i am on the path to getting more answers.

Most people are deficient in vitamin d, or at least they are for optimum health. Treat yourself to a d3 supplement from Aliment Nutrition (they sell online, and are very good) and take a couple a day. If you are a little overweight then you will need more vitamin d than someone who isn't overweight. Also make sure you get in the sun without sun cream on for about 20 mins a day (if you're in the uk at the minute, if you're somewhere the sun is stronger or you burn easily, cut the time down) and don't have a shower for half an hour or so after so you don't wash it off.

Good levels of vit d will increase your insulin sensitivity and bring your levels down. Apart from sugar (remember low fat products have loads of sugar in as well as the things you expect to be sugary, so eat natural - food with minimum processing) stress will have a big impact on your insulin levels too, and this might not be just 'argh I have too much to do' stress, but lack of sleep, lack of water, not enough me-time etc etc... So it's worth taking a look at those things too.

Have a read of the Insulin Factor by (I think) Anthony Haynes. Great book, well written and clear.

Do you take a good fish oil supplement too? That is great for insulin sensitivity. Aliment do the best quality and best value one around. I'm currently drinking a homemade juice with 3 teaspoons in, and I honestly can't taste it.

All this stuff is very much my 'thing' so shout if you need any more info, I'm very happy to help :) x

Thanks! My Dr recommended that i take 2000 iu vitamin d daily... And i also take a prenatal vitamin daily that has 400 iu. I have a period every month and I've only missed maybe 4periods since i started my cycles when i was 13... I am 25 now. I am really hoping that once my levels are corrected, I will be able to lose some weight and conceive.

I tend to recommend 25iu vitamin d per lb of body weight.

Good luck, hope it all works out for you x

Great that the D is being sorted. I have read sooo many stories about unexplained infertility being due to vit d. Crazy. Good luck!!

Thanks ladies! I get my US results next Tuesday so i will keep everyone posted. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->