Empty sac please help

loveylove

Reaction score
Hello

I was wondering if anyone can help. I had a scan at 5 weeks and all that was visible was an empty sac, I then had one yesterday (6 weeks) and it was still empty but had grown and was measuring correctly for 6 weeks. The early pregnancy unit said if I don't bleed this week then I need to be booked in for surgical removal on Tuesday. Is it not too early? Or am I being unrealistically hopeful? I'm so confused and feel powerless.

So sorry you're going through this. I have no advice, I'm not sure what you would see on a scan at such an early stage.

Do you have the option to wait a few more weeks and have another scan to see if things have progressed? X

I don't know really. I guess if I insisted they can't force me to have it removed. I just don't want to be totally unrealistic.

I've been googling (I know you I shouldnt) and have found people saying their sac was empty until week 10! I wish I had never had an early scan x

I think having an empty sac at 6 weeks can be quite normal. I personally would feel uncomfortable about anything until I was completely sure. If it was the same at 7 weeks I would be sure. Have they been taking bloods too?

When I had an empty sac (blighted ovum) I was offered a D&C. I refused and I did start bleeding so they monitored my hcg levels until it was over. What I am trying to say is there is no harm in waiting to make sure. You don't have to have any surgical procedure either - there are other ways.

Thanks for your reply. Can I just ask, how far gone were you when they discovered you had a blighted ovum?

Thanks for your reply. Can I just ask, how far gone were you when they discovered you had a blighted ovum?
nearly 7 weeks, but my hcg levels were very low too so scans and bloods coincided with each other. The sac was also not big enough.

I would wait it out.
With one of my other babies I had a scan at 5+5 and it was an empty sac. At 7+5 a feral pole with heartbeat and yolk sac.
I think at 6 weeks it's too early for them to say the pregnancy isn't progressing especially if you're a day or 2 out.

According to my dates I won't be 5 weeks until Saturday. My lmp started 27th June and bfp on 12 July. I keep trying to explain this to them but they said they go by measurements not lmp

Also I asked for beta hgc blood test but my gp said they only do it at the hospital and the early pregnancy unit just said (in a nice way) that it's pretty pointless

Stick to your guns everything sounds perfectly on track in that case.

Yeah I agree - stick with it!

Sorry you are going through this :hugs: Wow I find it quite scary that the professionals seem so quick to dismiss your pregnancy! I would wait on it too, from what I have seen about blighted ovum is that for most people by 8 weeks nature has already started to take her course. I hope there is a baby there, but if not then waiting a bit longer until you can be sure should not cause any harm. Fingers crossed for you xx

I think you are too early to be given these options!! I have had 2 blighted ovum (nothing in the sac) sac was getting bigger but nothing growing inside, hcg levels rising but not doubling. I waited till almost 12 weeks to make sure with both! 6 weeks is way to early!! Did they do an abdominal us or vaginal? For them to even assume this pregnancy is not going to work your sac has to be over a certain size...25 mm? I'm not sure the measurement. Did your sac measure up to your dates?

I had a scan last week and the sac was 12mm and this week it was 19mm.... empty both times. Going by dates I think I'm going to be 5 weeks this sat. Going by their measurements I'm 6 weeks now.

Way to early love!! If they try to have you end it find a new doctor! When is your next scan?

Yup! Totally agree with winterbabies - it's super early! Give it a few weeks and hopefully all will be fine xx

I wish you the best of luck and it sounds like you are getting great advice here.

With my MMC I had just a yolk at 8 weeks but it wasn't until my doctor confirmed with blood draws that my beta hcg was going down that he recommended a d&c or waiting to miscarry naturally.

Now I am 6w4d and I had a scan yesterday where we saw two yolks but no fetal poles or heart beats. My doctor immediately sent me to radiology to confirm, which they did, then had my blood drawn. My beta HCG is rising well for a singleton (33,000) but is a little low for twins. I will have another scan done on Monday to see if there is any growth. Again, if my doctor can't see anything he will send me to radiology in the hospital before any decisions are made. Even then, he will give me a choice to have a d&c or wait it out.

He is helping me hold onto hope even though the chances of a successful outcome are low. Find a doctor who supports you - it makes all the difference. (My doctor with my first MC was terrible. I switched to who I see now and know that I am getting the best care.)

I would wait till nothing shows by at least 7 weeks! My friend had this happen at 5 weeks then went again at 6+3 and they still couldn't see fetal pole the doc told her they should definitely see it by then and to prepare for the worst basically she was in a right state, she even bled a few days later and assumed it was all over but went for another scan and HB seen everything fine was a bleed in the womb but wasn't baby!!
Hope everything works out for you!!!

Thank you all so much, I feel much better about this now . I would always think 'what if' if I gave up on my baby in the 5th week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->