Encopresis

blake12336

Reaction score
Do any of your children suffer? My five year old constantly soils his pants, and doesn't seem to know he's doing it. After observing and keeping a diary for a while, he only has a "proper poo" about once a week. When he soils his pants it's very loose and only a little.

Does this sound like encopresis to you? I'm thinking of calling the doctor in the morning but wanted to know if anyone else has any experience?

I have no experience but I would definitely act on concerns and speak to the doctor.

<3

To me, this sounds like chronic constipation. If there is a hard faecal blockage somewhere, softer liquid poop can leak out around it and the child can't always control what happens next. If he is only going properly once a week, too, again that screams constipation to me.

I'd speak to the doctor about this and work on getting any blockage cleared, then perhaps make dietary changes and up fluid uptake to keep things regular and comfortable. If that doesn't help, a stool softener can be prescribed to make sure things keep moving as they should.

To me, this sounds like chronic constipation. If there is a hard faecal blockage somewhere, softer liquid poop can leak out around it and the child can't always control what happens next. If he is only going properly once a week, too, again that screams constipation to me.

I'd speak to the doctor about this and work on getting any blockage cleared, then perhaps make dietary changes and up fluid uptake to keep things regular and comfortable. If that doesn't help, a stool softener can be prescribed to make sure things keep moving as they should.

The earliest appointment I could get is Monday, so seeing the doctor then but I think you're probably right! It's clear in his face that he doesn't know until he's soiled and then he gets upset. I just want to get it sorted early on as I don't want him being uncomfortable and also getting picked on at school.

Absolutely. I hope it goes well with the doctor and you can quickly get him some relief!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->