Epidural- is it important to you?

I didn't want to get a. epidural because it increases your need for an episiotomy and tearing and possibly a csection. So it wasn't because I wanted to be tough, I wanted to keep labor as simple as possible (despite the pitocin and manually breaking the waters). I had it almost completely without pain killers and it was manageable. Tough but manageable. I don't think my pushing stage would have been so short if I had had an epi

My waters broke but I wasn't progressing so doctor put me on pitocin which intensified things I think. I was offered an epidural when I got to 5cm and wanted to hug the anesthesiologist! LOL It was wonderful. It helped me relax too so my labor sped up (my OB said that happens to some women while other's say it slows it down). It took me 12 hours to get to 5cm and then got the epi and an hour later I was 10cm and ready to push. Pushed for less than 20 minutes. Mine didn't numb me completely as I could still feel the urge to push, but it took the intense pain away. I'd definitely have another.

I didn't want to get a. epidural because it increases your need for an episiotomy and tearing and possibly a csection. So it wasn't because I wanted to be tough, I wanted to keep labor as simple as possible (despite the pitocin and manually breaking the waters). I had it almost completely without pain killers and it was manageable. Tough but manageable. I don't think my pushing stage would have been so short if I had had an epi

I can assure you and anyone else, having an epidural doesn't make you less "tough" than someone who doesn't.

I had no intention of having an epidural, but was willing be to open minded about it. As it turned out I was induced and had a drug (possibly pitocin) to help speed up contractions, which has a side effect of making contractions more painful. I lasted for a good few hours on gas and air before it was no longer effective and went ahead with the epidural. It wasn't done super strong (so I could still feel contractions) and I had control of when to up the dose for when it got too much again. I ended up having a EMCS but it purely down to DS being oblique and it not being noticed until I'd been actively pushing for over 2 hours. Don't think I would have coped without it.

I'm just pregnant with my first and I plan to have an epidural. I have a low threshold for pain (particularly for stuff down there). No one has hidden how much it hurts to give birth so I am planning for it. I also know that my plan may not go to what I want so I am going to prepare myself with some natural techniques.

I can assure you and anyone else, having an epidural doesn't make you less "tough" than someone who doesn't.

I'm sorry if I offended you I meant it in the complete opposite of how you took it! I was trying to say that I didn't want to have an epidural because of any war hero complex (as I've heard some women think) but because I was really afraid of tearing.

Whatever gets the baby out happy and healthy!

I'm sorry if I offended you I meant it in the complete opposite of how you took it! I was trying to say that I didn't want to have an epidural because of any war hero complex (as I've heard some women think) but because I was really afraid of tearing.

Whatever gets the baby out happy and healthy!

No I didn't mean it in a bad way either. You didn't offend me at all, I just wouldn't want anyone to feel bad about how they did during labour, epidural or no epidural.

I've had 2 drug free water births. Hopefully I'll manage doing it a 3rd and final time. :)

I did get one last time, which was my first time. I didn't want to. But due to some complications and panic, I ended up giving in. I will not be doing it this time.

I had one with DD after the Cervidil started intense contractions. It was amazing, and I could still feel/move my lower body, just didn't feel the pain. It allowed me to have a peaceful and positive birth experience, and I got another night's sleep in.

Next time I'm walking into the hospital backwards so they can just hook me up right away. :haha:

I feel like I had a primo epidural experience and loved it. They did it just right for me- they turned it off at some point so I could feel enough to feel the pressure to push. I could feel the pressure, I could feel to push, I could even feel a bit of pain during birth (but a tamer version than without pain meds- and I am a pain wimp). I thought it was perfect, and no side effects. Also, I had pre-eclampsia, so with worries of my blood pressure, they recommended an epidural to help keep my blood pressure from going even higher. And not to mention my induction for pre-eclampsia took forever, so I was exhausted and the epidural truly helped me have a safer birth, I feel.

However, not everyone has that experience. I'm more nervous for next time, bc I know it doesn't always go that way. I want the same thing I had with him (ok, minus the induction and the pre-eclampsia), but no 2 experiences are the same! Good luck, and there are merits to going with or without!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->