Epidural/Spinal?? So scared!!

Eve

Reaction score
I am having my c-section December 30th and have never had an epidural or spinal before and I am terrified!! My first was a natural delivery with just the gas, and my second was an emergency c-section and I was put to sleep for it... I am seriously scared to death of the thought of having a needle in my spine and being awake, lying there and hearing everything... knowing what they are doing to me! Anyone have any advice for me, and what should I expect? I don't want to go in there not knowing what could happen etc... Please ease my mind ladies, I am going crazy!! lol

I really can't help as this is my first, but I'm also terrified of this.

I cant help with the c-section... but just was induced last week & was wanting the epidural. The epidural was quite simple & wasnt painful to me. The dr that did it was very calm and was explaining as he did things - felt a needle (nothing like how putting my iv in felt- which was horrible) then he said is it in the middle - which i would never have understood what that meant except in that moment I knew what he meant. It felt left... left of what i dont know :shrug: Then felt like an electric shock zap through my left leg - he said he hit a nerve for a sec. & then that was it... Took minutes and my contractions felt less each time. Since I wasnt having a c-section I could still feel my legs -they give you way more for c-section.

You'll do great - just think ... all worth it to bring your beautiful baby into the world :hug:

Thanks DaisyBee :) I am so scared... lol I don't mind needles usually but the thought scares the crap out of me. I am so glad you had a good experience with the epidural though, helped me ease up some ;)

I have had 1 of each (natural, epidural & emergency then spinal) the epidural did not work for me under the circumstances so had to have emergency, but for my last baby and this one I chose spinal. As it is booked and you should not be in labour at the time (unless you go early) it is so much less stressful. They numb the site with a local and then they insert what they need to. If you have to many concers ask the anesthesiest (sorry for spelling). They will be more than happy to explain them both to you and answer any questions you may have.
Honestly I was nervous, but it is a relaxed environment and they are all there to help you, so don't be afraid!!

I had an emergency section but I had already had an epidural while in labour, Im terrified of needles but the pain was pretty bad, if Im honest I didnt feel it I felt a pinch like a jab when they did anaesthetic, I felt alittle bit of sharpness when they when they put the epidural in but it wasnt as bad as I thought

Good luck :flower:

I have never had a csection but have had 2 epidurals. They didn't hurt even a tiny bit. They numb the area completely before inserting the little tube in your spine. They don't leave a needle in place, it's a tube like you have with an IV. Then they tape it down REALLY well so that it can't budge if you move. There is zero pain putting it in or taking it out. The only painful part is when they remove the tape after taking the tube out. That part is like removing a very large band-aid!

I was afraid before the 1st one I had too but once I found out that it didn't hurt at all I wasn't worried at all the second time! I promise it's nothing to be afraid of! You won't even be able to tell they are doing it or when they are done until they tell you.

I have never had a csection but have had 2 epidurals. They didn't hurt even a tiny bit. They numb the area completely before inserting the little tube in your spine. They don't leave a needle in place, it's a tube like you have with an IV. Then they tape it down REALLY well so that it can't budge if you move. There is zero pain putting it in or taking it out. The only painful part is when they remove the tape after taking the tube out. That part is like removing a very large band-aid!

I was afraid before the 1st one I had too but once I found out that it didn't hurt at all I wasn't worried at all the second time! I promise it's nothing to be afraid of! You won't even be able to tell they are doing it or when they are done until they tell you.

I had a planned C-section with my daughter and had an epidural. In my opinion, it was a cinch and I wouldn't have had it any other way. My daughter was estimated to be too large for a natural delivery, so we planned the csection. For the epidural, they first have you sit on the side of the bed with a pillow propped under your chest and they numb you with a shot in the middle of your back. This numbing shot was what I thought the worst part. It feels like a bee sting on your back and stings a little when going in, but nothing that you can't handle. Then he told me he was placing the epidural in and before I knew it, he was done. FYI--you will not have a needle in your back the whole time, once they do the shot, the insert a tube running into your back where the needle was. I didn't feel it at all during the csection and I didn't feel them (or remember) having it taken out.

It really sounds worse then it is to be honest. I remember being so worried about it and once the shot was over, I was so relieved. I tell everyone that my IV running in my hand hurt worst of everything. I wouldn't worry too much, you'll be just fine!!:)

Thanks so much ladies... I am starting to feel better about the whole thing :) I am wondering how being in the OR is going to be as well... and what I will feel then. Some people say nothing, and some say lots of pressure and tugging etc... I just wish I could blink and Kayleigh be here hehe

hey huni, i had a planned c-section 3 weeks ago as my baby was breech and i can honestly say u have nothing to worry about! the thing that hurt me the most was having the canular put in the back of my hand! they spray ur back with a super cold spray to clean it, then i had to cuddle a pillow to arch my back, they then numbed the site in my lower back by using a normal needle, all you feel is a lil scratch and then they put the spinal in, i couldnt feel it at all, all i felt was my bum going hot and legs feeling heavy! i am the biggest wuss ever huni and if i can go thru it u can! theres nothing to be scared of i promise you xxxx

oh, as for the operating room, its a really relaxed atmosphere, they have the radio one and chat away to you the whole time!! i almost forgot i was having a major operation!! as for the sensation, you can feel pulling and tugging but it doesnt hurt, its just a really weird feeling! too hard to explain! but just want to reasure u that u have nothing to worry about :) good luck huni xxx

Thank you so much and congratulations on your little one! I am starting to feel so much better about the situation :D Sounds like you had a nice experience through it all :) How has your recovery been? My last c-section it was terrible as heck but it was rough, brutal and quick. I suffered a complete placental abruption and hemorrhaged , needed transfusions etc... I was 37 weeks when it happened and my son didn't make it past 8 hours after the delivery :( I couldn't do anything for weeks!! The pain was unreal! The doctor said I won't go through that pain again and I should feel pretty good by the time I leave the hospital but I am still nervous. How did you feel afterwards? Did you breast feed? Did that hurt? How long were you in there? I am bombarding you with questions here lol... sorry about that. Congrats again though!! Gorgeous little man you have there :D

Thank you so much and congratulations on your little one! I am starting to feel so much better about the situation :D Sounds like you had a nice experience through it all :) How has your recovery been? My last c-section it was terrible as heck but it was rough, brutal and quick. I suffered a complete placental abruption and hemorrhaged , needed transfusions etc... I was 37 weeks when it happened and my son didn't make it past 8 hours after the delivery :( I couldn't do anything for weeks!! The pain was unreal! The doctor said I won't go through that pain again and I should feel pretty good by the time I leave the hospital but I am still nervous. How did you feel afterwards? Did you breast feed? Did that hurt? How long were you in there? I am bombarding you with questions here lol... sorry about that. Congrats again though!! Gorgeous little man you have there :D

i just found out im having a c-section too so if anyone can say anything about the recovery and breastfeeding i'd appreciate it. xx

Hey iv no experience but my sister had an epidual with both her boys and apparently its nothing compared to the pain she was in and when the epidural kicked in it was blisS!!

XXX

awww hunni you will be fine, they numb the site and you don't feel a thing :) i have had 2 emergancy sections, as for what you feel, i felt some tugging but not bad, it only takes a short while til lo is born and then you really don't care what happens after that lol
good luck with it all hunni xxx

i just found out im having a c-section too so if anyone can say anything about the recovery and breastfeeding i'd appreciate it. xx

hiya hun, i was up and about 12 hours after and 2 days after did a "big shop" round tescos :rofl: on my way home from hospital :) my advice is when they take your drip out and your spinal has worn off get up and have a shower have a lil walk up the ward to stretch your legs, it really helps quick recovery :) i BF my first after a section and was fine they will pass lo to you until you can get up and about :) xxxx

thank you hun! it was a nice experience, there was nothing bad about it. my recovery has been super quick! the day after was the worst as all the spinal block had warn off and i was on morphine! they made me get out of bed and have a shower and omg i felt like i had been hit by a bus! i felt like i would never walk again cus it hurt so much but that only lasted that day the day after i was walking up and down the corridor at the hospital, i was only in 2 days and came home and 3 days after that i went into town shopping! its been 3 and a half weeks now and im completely healed and can do everything! i stopped taking the pain relief after 3 days! im still on iron tablets cus i lost quite abit of blood :-( other than that i cant fault it at all. id def have a c-section again!!

so sorry to hear of ur loss and the trauma of ur previous section! this one will def be a positive and happy experience for you! i can feel it in my bones!! lol!!

i was gonna breastfeed but decided it was too much for me with having the c-section so he's bottle fed.

dont worry bout asking questions hun, if you dont ask u will never know! PM if you ever need to talk :)

let me know how u get on with ur c-section xxxx

thank you hun! it was a nice experience, there was nothing bad about it. my recovery has been super quick! the day after was the worst as all the spinal block had warn off and i was on morphine! they made me get out of bed and have a shower and omg i felt like i had been hit by a bus! i felt like i would never walk again cus it hurt so much but that only lasted that day the day after i was walking up and down the corridor at the hospital, i was only in 2 days and came home and 3 days after that i went into town shopping! its been 3 and a half weeks now and im completely healed and can do everything! i stopped taking the pain relief after 3 days! im still on iron tablets cus i lost quite abit of blood :-( other than that i cant fault it at all. id def have a c-section again!!

so sorry to hear of ur loss and the trauma of ur previous section! this one will def be a positive and happy experience for you! i can feel it in my bones!! lol!!

i was gonna breastfeed but decided it was too much for me with having the c-section so he's bottle fed.

dont worry bout asking questions hun, if you dont ask u will never know! PM if you ever need to talk :)

let me know how u get on with ur c-section xxxx

Wow, seems like you did very well! I was only in two days as well, but I wanted to leave the maternity ward as I just didn't feel right there anymore. The first night home I wanted to go back though, it was so rough! I couldn't move without feeling like I was being torn in half and that lasted for weeks. My incision is still sore to touch and when I get my weekly ultrasounds and they get down low it near brings me off the table... I sure hope this time it turns out like yours :) I had staples as well and ick! They didn't hurt coming out or anything but I really didn't like the thought of staples in my tummy at all.

You really made me feel so much better about things for sure :) Thanks so much and best of luck to you :) I am sure I will have more questions leading up to the section lol... :blush:

I hope the last posts help some hun :) I know it helped me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->