Epidural - stress v pain relief

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by Kirstin, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Kirstin

Kirstin Well-Known Member

I have a huge phobia of injections, blood tests etc. and after reading about an epidural I really dont think I am going to be able to cope with having one put in, especially as it takes 20 minutes and I'm going to end up really stressed, will faint and be sick as I usually do with blood tests however I have a really low pain threshold so will want some pain relief, what would you do?

2. Snoopy

Snoopy Well-Known Member

Hmmm, it's definitely a tricky one. I know many women swear by epidurals, and if I have to be induced or something I'll be having an epidural myself, but I admit the idea of it is quite scary to me too....and I don't really have a fear of needles! (Just dental injections I hate) They do numb the skin before the put it in and the majority of women don't feel anything though.

There are many other types of pain relief you could try without going straight to the epidural - have you researched different types yet?

3. What country are you in? Most countries offer some pain relief other than nothing or an epidural. Examples, TENS machine, gas and air, pethidine, diamorphine.

4. new mummy h

new mummy h First little princess!!!!

hey chick xx im the same, i hate needles, although i dont faint or be sick i get very stressed if its not done quickly - so 20 minutes to me is absolutely awful! im goin for gas and air, maybe tens or birth pool if its free - unless i realllllly need one i wont be asking for pethadine or epidural - but u just dont know how your gonna feel on the day - i mite be begging for one! even tho i cant see it xxxxxxxxxxxx

5. Kirstin

I am in England, I have researched the different types, TENS and gas and air seem to be too hit and miss, although gas and air seems to be my best option at the minute. Pethidine and Diamorphine seem to have a lot of disadvantages and could interfere with breastfeeding so I dont know what to do :(

6. lorna84

lorna84 mummy to Emilie :))

The gas & air is very good but only worked for so long with me, I did have a shot of pethidine but it made me really sick

I have a Huge Needle phobia I faint at most bloodtest :blush: I read alot about epidurals beforehand & thought the very same as you However I opted for the epidural If Im honest It was nothing like I thought it would be & once done it was magic

Good luck :flower::flower:

7. well TENS and gas and air are common start points, I dont like TENS machines but many women swear by them and say they couldnt have managed labour without. Same with G&A, I used this for a short while and found it useful and many other people do (it helps if you hang fire with pain relief during the early hours as things like TENS/G&A become less effective if you are using them for hours and hours and hours) as for the injectables, there are "SOME" risks and sideeffects however no more so than with an epidural! An Epidural is a medical procedure, its not something to undertake lightly or "instead" of the injections.

8. Dream.A.Dream

Dream.A.Dream Mum to 6yo and WTT #2!

My MW said to me the other day that if you need an epidural you'll be in so much pain you won't care about the needle. Because I told her I have a needle phobia and that was her reply. xx

9. Kirstin

All my mw has said is that shes worried I'm not going to be able to cope with labour, reassuring :rofl:

10. Snoopy

Snoopy Well-Known Member

In addition to all the excellent replies above, there's also meptid (like pethidine but supposed to have less of a depressive effect on the baby) and the 'alternative' pain relief options of hypnobirthing, water (my primary pain relief), acupuncture, reflexology and so on.

If you go the TENS route, remember to shove the thing on at the very earliest opportunity. It works by encouraging a greater amount of endorphins (which are similar to morphine) and these take time to build up, so if you put it on too late you'll find it doesn't do anything or just irritates you.

Also remember that there's no guarantee with any type of pain relief. Don't discount those you feel might be hit and miss because not all epidurals do the job - yes, it's a very effective form of pain relief and, yes, it works in the majority of cases, but not in all.

11. Snoopy

Snoopy Well-Known Member

Crikey, only just seen this as I was typing my other reply. JMO, but I feel that's actually a highly irresponsible thing for your MW to say. Unless you've got some physical complication they have to work around and plan for, they should encourage you that you can do it, that women have been doing this successfully for almost 200,000 years, that relaxation is the key.....not that you might not cope!! Maybe she's trying to be realistic or something, but I can't think of a better way to put you on edge and make you nervous before you're in labour :growlmad:

12. Kirstin

I was actually fine before she said that, was in the mindset that its natural, most women do it, if it was that hard no one would have more than one baby but now shes made out as if I am some kind of crazy person that will faint and stress over everything I dont think I am going to be able to cope with it, the pain or any form of pain relief bar gas and air :(

13. mrskx0x0

mrskx0x0 Scarlett's Mummy

I feel the same and got freaked out by watching someone have one done on tv the other day! I also don't want to get stuck in hospital having to worry about mrsa and swine flu or someone stealing my baby or getting her mixed up etc while I recover. My Mum is a big baby like me and she had an epidural and says she didn't feel anything at all. I think that if the pain relief they give us isn't working then we shouldn't discount the epidural and don't they numb the area before they put the thingy in?

I think we will surprise ourselves and have a lot more determination and stamina than we can imagine. All those billions of ladies that have babies, surely we can't be the most cowardly :rofl:

14. jmac

jmac Well-Known Member

Hmmmm...that was helpful of her! Has she said why or referred you for pre-labour counselling?

15. suzanne108

suzanne108 Well-Known Member

I asked a similar question to mums on my FB status lol!

Most said not to plan ahead but to just decide on the day...as long as you have looked into the pros and cons and are not going in blind. You might decide now that you want an epidural then realise that you can cope without when you are actually in labour, or you might decide you are dead set against epidural but change your mind in labour.

I say be open-minded about it. If the pains of labour are so bad that you want an epi I reckon you'll be able to cope with the needle.

16. AP

AP Well-Known Member

same here - epidural for me was nothing like i expected, i couldnt see what was going on and ooh lordy.....

...it was the best!

17. Snoopy

Snoopy Well-Known Member

That is such a shame hun. I'm not sure if you'll have time, but maybe get a positive childbirth book to get you back in the right frame of mind? I've got quite a few, but the one I'm reading atm is called "Effective Birth Preparation" by Maggie Howell and I'd highly recommend it. I'd also recommend books by Ina May Gaskin, "Childbirth Without Fear" by Grantly Dick-Read, and "The Gentle Birth Method" by Dr. Gowri Motha. I'd also recommend you look into Natal Hypnotherapy, even if you've not got that long left :)

18. Kirstin

Thanks but I think I;m in early labour now :rofl:

19. Snoopy

Snoopy Well-Known Member

Hehe, well then....best you can do is find some good websites to read through. You might be having a hospital birth, but the home birth website has some very positive birth stories showing how well women can cope without masses of pain relief.....might help your mindset even if you do choose an epidural at some point :hugs:

20. Mervs Mum

Mervs Mum Doula & Mum of 3!

I've had every type of pain relief and they all have their advantages and disadvantages. I dont remember the epi taking 20 mins to get in. Mine worked well although it made for a long labour which ended with forceps. I didnt have one last time for that reason. Pethadine is ok although I wont be bothering with that again this time because I hate the weird trippy effect it has on me. It definitely didnt interfere with BFing either time - I BF for a year. Gas and air is magic. Once you work out when to breath it I think it's invaluable. I used a TENS machine for the first 6 hours and that was really effective in the early stages and I will again.

This time I intend to use TENS, hypnobirthing (self hypnosis/deep relaxation techniques) and G&A if required.

Go in with an open mind hun and see what happens would be my advice :)