Episiotomies

themaybaby

Reaction score
I'm freaking out here! Just wanted to know how many of you repeat mommies had one for the birth of your first child. How was the experience, and should I be completely terrified as I am... My sister had one for my nephew and said it was a piece of cake!:shrug: I don't know if I want to take her on that.. She's the same person that told me natural birth and contractions don't hurt! Lol.. She has a high tolerance for pain... So please... Help me out ladies

This is my first so no previous experience but there are certain strategies to help avoid or reduce risk of needing an episiotomy, such as perineal massage. I'd read up more on that!

Also I might do some hospital research, call around and ask about what percentage of their births end up with episiotomies, and perhaps choose accordingly. Choosing a place such as a birthing center is also likely to greatly lessen the chance you'll have one because they can't usually perform them at those types of places.

It will be done whilst you are in the throws of pushing, if you have no pain medication you will be so intense on pushing and already in pain you will not feel it, I promise. If you have an epidural, you will not feel it. :) Trust me, with everything else that is going on that is going to be the last of your worries!! :thumbup:

I had one as my daughter was a forceps delivery. I'd already had an epidural so I didn't feel a thing. It was either that or tear badly, I suppose :shrug: I healed up just fine and I'm not worried if I have to have another this time round.

This is my first so no previous experience but there are certain strategies to help avoid or reduce risk of needing an episiotomy, such as perineal massage. I'd read up more on that!

Also I might do some hospital research, call around and ask about what percentage of their births end up with episiotomies, and perhaps choose accordingly. Choosing a place such as a birthing center is also likely to greatly lessen the chance you'll have one because they can't usually perform them at those types of places.

Ive been doing some reading on perineal massage, and I will definitely be practicing that the last 8 weeks of pregnancy... Let me know if you find any other good stuff :thumbup:

I'm freaking out here! Just wanted to know how many of you repeat mommies had one for the birth of your first child. How was the experience, and should I be completely terrified as I am... My sister had one for my nephew and said it was a piece of cake!:shrug: I don't know if I want to take her on that.. She's the same person that told me natural birth and contractions don't hurt! Lol.. She has a high tolerance for pain... So please... Help me out ladies

my pain tolerances is 0 ... i feel everything really bad...
i had an induced labor at 40w1d and got an episiotomy. got my epidural at 2.5 cm ... and that made me feel nothing. i didnt know about episiotomies until the doc walked in and uncovered all the knives and i had a panic attack :D but at the end i updated my facebook status before i delivered the placenta

oh and by the way, i was tighter after my daughter then before...didnt have sex for 3 months ... and he did a great job stitching me up. i just cant understand that how everything goes back without stitches

I had an episiotomy with my daughter. Not trying to scare you, just tell you my experience. It was agony (sorry!) The midwife injected me with a numbing agent, prior to doing it and before she'd finished the injection I had a contraction, so she cut me there and then. I felt the whole thing with basically no pain relief (because it had no chance to work) and felt I was being repeatedly stabbed. I know I'll need another one, because they stitched me up very tight and I have to be honest that I'm very worried about it. Sorry to be the one who isn't reassuring. Prior to my DDs birth, I used a perineal gel, I'm not sure it was helpful, but it's worth trying in case it helps. x x x

I had one when I gave birth to my son...honestly it wasn't a big deal. It sounds scarier than it is!!! My son was delivered with the assistance of forceps...and that was more painful than the episiotomy! (The epidural had worn off so that's why)...I wouldn't worry about it yet...everybody's birth stories are so diffferent! And to be quitw honest when you are pushing for a couple hours...the LAST thing you are thinking of is a little cut down there! Hugs! Don't worry!!!

It terrifies me that the pain of labour is that bad that having an episiotomy is supposedly the last thing your worried about! I'm more scared of an episiotomy than I am of anything else. I suppose i'm in for a big surprise :s
I don't want an epidural but i'm considering it just because I don't want to feel an episiotomy!

I guess everyones experiences are different, but contractions were just bad period pains to me, that I could deal with. The episiotomy is to date the most horrible thing I've experienced, so I'm definetly opting for an epidural this time, to give me some peace of mind. x x

I didn't have one and my baby was 10 pounds 1 ounce with a head in the 99th percentile. I had a small tear that was no big deal to stitch up and no lasting pain down there at all. I went to a birthing center with midwives and they have a very low rate of episotomies. When you're in labor and minutes from seeing your baby, it really won't matter to you anymore. To increase your chances of having an easier labor, you might want to read about fetal positioning once your in 3rd tri. If the baby is ideally positioned they fly out faster :haha:

Read Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth and/or Spiritual Midwifery - both by Ina May Gaskin. She is an amazing midwife with amazing information on how to make birth a very positive experience with little risk of tearing, and medical intervention. :) my favourite birth books for sure!

It terrifies me that the pain of labour is that bad that having an episiotomy is supposedly the last thing your worried about! I'm more scared of an episiotomy than I am of anything else. I suppose i'm in for a big surprise :s
I don't want an epidural but i'm considering it just because I don't want to feel an episiotomy![/QUlOTE]
Labour isn't like the movies where BAM it hits you! It"s a slow porgression and there are different stages. Active labour(just before you have baby) is the most painful. I won't lie...its hard work...but honestly...its really not that bad in the grand scheme of things. I never had a birth plan...I went into it, knowing that this was a new experience and I had to be open to whatever my body would do. At the end of the day you have to do what's best for you and your baby. I didn't want an epidural...but with my induction due to preeclampsia I needed one..- have absolutly no guilt over it. Do what is best for you and your baby....you will be ok...women have been doing this for centuries. Big hugs..the unknown is scary...but your body will know what to do!

I don't want an epidural but i'm considering it just because I don't want to feel an episiotomy![/QUlOTE]
Labour isn't like the movies where BAM it hits you! It"s a slow porgression and there are different stages. Active labour(just before you have baby) is the most painful. I won't lie...its hard work...but honestly...its really not that bad in the grand scheme of things. I never had a birth plan...I went into it, knowing that this was a new experience and I had to be open to whatever my body would do. At the end of the day you have to do what's best for you and your baby. I didn't want an epidural...but with my induction due to preeclampsia I needed one..- have absolutly no guilt over it. Do what is best for you and your baby....you will be ok...women have been doing this for centuries. Big hugs..the unknown is scary...but your body will know what to do!

Actually for me it's not 'the unknown' that is scary, because I am a midwife lol.. Knowing more and having actually witnessed episiotomy's scares me. I wish I didn't know!
Thanks though I think i'll go in with an open mind and probably won't have an epidural but if I need one then it's not out of the question either :)

I guess everyones experiences are different, but contractions were just bad period pains to me, that I could deal with. The episiotomy is to date the most horrible thing I've experienced, so I'm definetly opting for an epidural this time, to give me some peace of mind. x x

Unfortunately I was the same :( but its does seem we are the minority. I asked around alot of my sons birth and no one else had felt it. From what i'm aware my midwife 'thought' I was at the height of a contraction, when she done it I automatically kicked both of the midwifes in the chest :dohh: But i'll say again, it seems the majority of people really don't feel it, and I would try not dwell on it too much as you might not need one x

I had one after 3 hours or do of pushing with no movement ( silly baby was back to back). I got taken to theatre for a forceps delivery where on top of my epi I was given a spinal block. Obviously I didn't feel a thing at the time, but I had a horrendous recovery, not helped by the hospital failing to recognise my severe anaemia. Also the wound got infected despite me keeping it clean, was awful. Chances are that won't happen to you, my labour and delivery was nothing like I wanted it to b, but my LO was/is perfect.

I also had one with number 1 with a forceps delivery. I'd had an epidural so didn't feel a thing and it healed really quickly. I've had other friends who have either had them without epidural and torn and none felt all that much. You'll be fine :)

With my first, the hospital I went to refused to do episiotomies (useless at spelling today) so I ended up having a small tear. I didn't feel anything and the only pain relief I had was gas and air. When they stitched me, it was only a couple of stitches and again, I felt absolutely nothing. I think I was more happy to have DS born so wasn't thinking what was happening down there

I think it's different for everyone xx

I don't think these are still done as standard, although I guess it depends which country you're in (am on my phone so can't see that info). I know in the UK only about 15% of women have episiotomies, and it's usually for a reason such as forceps delivery.

But yes the thought of it terrifies me too! I just hope I don't need one.

I had an episiotomy with my daughter. Not trying to scare you, just tell you my experience. It was agony (sorry!) The midwife injected me with a numbing agent, prior to doing it and before she'd finished the injection I had a contraction, so she cut me there and then. I felt the whole thing with basically no pain relief (because it had no chance to work) and felt I was being repeatedly stabbed. I know I'll need another one, because they stitched me up very tight and I have to be honest that I'm very worried about it. Sorry to be the one who isn't reassuring. Prior to my DDs birth, I used a perineal gel, I'm not sure it was helpful, but it's worth trying in case it helps. x x x

Hey! I'm looking for the truth here and you definitely gave it! I'm not looking for anything candy coated AT ALL! Lol, thank you for sharing your experience with me!:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"