Episiotomy healing time?

Sarah+

Reaction score
I had a quick labour and super fast delivery (and a big baby with a huge head :cry: ) and tore then had an episiotomy (side, not centre). After 2 weeks it felt a lot better, but in the last week or so it's quite sore again, and tight. Is this a normal part of the healing process? (I got a mirror out and can't see any redness etc.). How long should it take to heal? Thanks :)

Well can I just say SNAP same for me, and my baby was also 9lb 3oz!! I would say (its been 3 months now and I feel normal) give it a few more weeks and you will feel so much better, I tried to have sex at 6 weeks which was still too painful for me, but a couple of weeks later I felt much much better hun x

I was much better by 2-3 weeks but still a little sore and still a little sore at 5-6 weeks. It was only around 6-8 that things were ok again and now at 10 weeks things are fine.

Mine is still sore, but I just went to the DR and he said that the DR's that delivered screwed up my episiotomy and I have to get it redone! I'm sure you're getting it checked out, but if you don't have an appt, I'd get one, just to double check!

Id say 6-8 weeks for me. I found lying on my front helped. I still get a bit of discomfort if I've been on my feet all day x

In total im sure it was about 2 months for my bits to feel normal as such after my stitches etc. But after a couple of weeks the swelling went down and didnt hurt to sit, just ached a lot like it was bruised.

keely.

mine was still sore for about 4 weeks, it just felt sensitive rather then swollen like it first felt.

give urself 6 weeks and u shud be feeling "normalish" lol

my episiotmy was the side aswel, i think all are done that way x

I had to be cut because they needed to get Emma out quickly as her heartbeat was dropping with every push. I was in real pain for 4 days after, agony on the 5th day, then gradually I felt better. 3 weeks after I'd had Emma we :sex: again LOL :shy: & it didn't hurt so guess I was healed by then lol :shy:

I asked my HV why mine did this and she said the stitches get tighter where the swelling goes down around week 3 and 4 and by week 5 / 6 all pain should be gone. Mine's a side not centre one as well so guess we must b experincing the sameish? :hugs2: hope it heals quickly for you!

I asked my HV why mine did this and she said the stitches get tighter where the swelling goes down around week 3 and 4 and by week 5 / 6 all pain should be gone. Mine's a side not centre one as well so guess we must b experincing the sameish? :hugs2: hope it heals quickly for you!

Ah, thanks :) I wondered if that could be it.

I healed quite quickly and didn't have any problems, I had a third degree tear but I felt ok a few weeks later. We have only just bedded 5 months after giving birth due to me having problems with the pill and it was actually quite sore and tender.

its been nearly 4 weeks since i had the stitches, and has been the worst 4 weeks ever:( would rather give birth again than have they stitches. ended up going back to the docs today as i am in so much pain with them. and it ends up that theyr infected:( maybe having to get them redone again as there quite bad.
so if any of you have just got them i would get them checked reguarly so you know if they end up infected as its horrible. xx

Thanks for the replies everyone :)

Just to update, after feeling worse around week 4, they started feeling 100 times better just overnight around week 5. Still a little sore at week 6, but on the mend I think.

I gave birth 5 days ago and had an episotomy. I find I can't sit down etc and the pain is awful. Any tips on how to reduce the pain - I have painkillers and an anticeptic gel which I apply.

Also my stiches will dissolve apparently, got checked by MW today and she said part if the tear is opening up - ahhhh

Sorry to hear you're in pain. My advice is take as many painkillers as you're allowed and ask for more if necessary. Also, shower twice a day to keep everything really clean, esp after bowl movement (and eat lots of fiber to make that easier). Some people use those little bath things that you sit in, but I didn't.

The pain went after about 2.5months with me, and I felt completely back to normal down there at about 4/5months... Took awhile!

yeah as others have said I second that, also a bath every night was amazing for me with a couple of drops of lavender oil and few drops of tea tree oil to help with healing helped too. I found trying not to sit on the stitches, I couldn't anyway it was too painful, I would just lie on my side on the sofa, or on a few cushions on the floor, having my weight off the area helped aid healing, also after my bath I would lay on the bed and let everything air, I was still bleeding for a while so just lay on an old towel, and having regular checks with a mirror down there myself to see if it was healing well and not infected. I had a big knot in one area which gave me so much pain but eventually they just dissolved hope you girls feel better soon x

i had 2 baths a day after i had zane and in each bath i used tea tree oil which is used as a anti septic it helps healing and keeps its all clean.

also gettin air to there also helps with healing, when bleeding thats not easy so i sat on the loo while running my bath or when zane was with his dad.

i never tried but wish i did those packs u can get from mothercare that go in the fridge and u can put them on ur stitches, it helps with swelling.

EDIT: also sitting down is painfull i used 4 mat pads at a time for padding so it was easier to sit down. im crossing my legs thinkin about this lol

not sure hun - mine done 4 weeks ago and someone messed mine up!!! Its all open and rekon gunna need to be fixed up :( :( im so upset by it all. hope yours heals.its put me off birth - it hurts sooo much.jus keep checking regularly.it upsets me too much si i got mum to help me. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->