Episiotomy Questions!

Eternal

Three boys!
Reaction score
I am sure they have all been asked before, but i was wondering how long it takes to heal from expereince?

Plus, anyone else stitches tore? I also got an infection.

I was wondering what this means for the future? will it ever be normal again? and will it affect future births?

MW and Doctor were both concerned by how much it had torn, but neither have said what this may mean in the future. Will it fix itself?

Thanks ladies x x x

I had an episiotomy and tore aswell right the way through (TMI sorry). It took about 8 weeks to fully heal (about 5 before I stopped feeling any pain though).
I just have a scar there now but it looks pretty much the same as before!

Hey Eternal,

Nice to see you here, have not seen you since the overdue thread! I had an episiotomy too and mine is still sore but getting better, I have been told to take salt baths every day and that really has helped. I tod my MW today that it was still sore and she seemed to think it was normal and not to worry. I am sorry to hear yours got infected :(
How are you coping with being a mummy? I love my little girl so much already but am finding the tiredness, breast feeding etc a strugggle. Hope you are OK.
x

Hi!!! I ended up with an episiotomy and 3rd degree tear too (must be something about us over-duers!) and although i havent got an infection (poor you eternal must be sore) i'm still so uncomfy and like you wondering when it will get better. i have an additional and embarrasing problem in that i can't seem to control my number 2's :blush: i tore thru my bum and completely destroyed my sphincter so had it all sewn back up (and i swear it feels like its in a different place) so im hoping its just a matter of time before i can control it again? are you guys on anti biotics? i came home with a bag full of tablets but this is perhaps cos i ff?

Hey Eternal,

Nice to see you here, have not seen you since the overdue thread! I had an episiotomy too and mine is still sore but getting better, I have been told to take salt baths every day and that really has helped. I tod my MW today that it was still sore and she seemed to think it was normal and not to worry. I am sorry to hear yours got infected :(
How are you coping with being a mummy? I love my little girl so much already but am finding the tiredness, breast feeding etc a strugggle. Hope you are OK.
x

yeah its so great being a mummy, i love him so much! I am not BF, found it so hard with the pain and not being able to sit etc, plus cant with the anti-biotics now however its brilliant being able to share the load with hubby!

Its so great not being pregnant though isnt it! i actually get more sleep now! lol!

Hi!!! I ended up with an episiotomy and 3rd degree tear too (must be something about us over-duers!) and although i havent got an infection (poor you eternal must be sore) i'm still so uncomfy and like you wondering when it will get better. i have an additional and embarrasing problem in that i can't seem to control my number 2's :blush: i tore thru my bum and completely destroyed my sphincter so had it all sewn back up (and i swear it feels like its in a different place) so im hoping its just a matter of time before i can control it again? are you guys on anti biotics? i came home with a bag full of tablets but this is perhaps cos i ff?

Ouch you poor thing! I came out of hospital less than 24 hours after he was born so wasnt infected then, i got no advice or was told anything about my espisotomy!

You sound a lot worse than me, mine was just a second degree cut. Doctor told me i couldnt BF while taking anti-biotics, but dont think he knew much about dealing with women after childbirth cos MW said he could have given me anti-biotics that i could have taken. But to be honest i really found it so hard and esp cos i couldnt sit properly i was so glad to have to go onto formula!

Hope your all healing up well ladies! x x x

Also, put some lavender oil as well as salt in your bath as it helps with healing!

Oh you poor girls, it's horrible init!

I had an episiotomy which has re-opened (incompetent registrar stitched too loosely) and is now an open wound. It's extremely uncomfortable (had baby 18 days ago) and I imagine it will be for a good while yet. As the others have said, salt baths and lavender oil; keep the area clean and dry (use a hair dryer on a cool setting if patting dry with a towel is too painful); change your pads regularly and whenever you're sitting or lying down, keep your legs together to promote healing.

Hope it heals soon...

Els x

Poor us, no one tells us about this before hand lol! whats most horrible is that cos no one see its no one assumes that you are still in pain lol, from day 1 i juts got up and did stuff, and apart from my husband everyone thinks i am fine cos i really dont like to complain.

Hubby goes back to work tomorrow for 9 days straight and i am dreading it cos i am in agony, not just my episotomy but my back and stomach ar killing me, i actually feel like i felt a few days after giving birth :S

I had a second degree tear and an episiotomy. All was going fine with it, week 3 got an infection, now I still can't do a number 2 without it tearing :blush: am still on antibiotics and will have to carry on for a while. No sign of it healing, if it doesn't by my 6 week check have to go every day to get them packed.

There's not much you can do, I have salt baths with lavender and tea tree every night. Doctor has just said all I can do is keep on antobiotics, keep with the baths and change my pads regularly.

I had a second degree tear and an episiotomy. All was going fine with it, week 3 got an infection, now I still can't do a number 2 without it tearing :blush: am still on antibiotics and will have to carry on for a while. No sign of it healing, if it doesn't by my 6 week check have to go every day to get them packed.

There's not much you can do, I have salt baths with lavender and tea tree every night. Doctor has just said all I can do is keep on antobiotics, keep with the baths and change my pads regularly.

awww hun thats terrible, you poor thing, i hope it starts to get better for you soon!!!

hey girls, im joining the club. had an epesiotomy on mon, so far i think its healing ok but is very sore and bruised.
started on the salt baths today now im home but all the shops are sold out of salt here cos of the snow. :dohh:

hey girls, im joining the club. had an epesiotomy on mon, so far i think its healing ok but is very sore and bruised.
started on the salt baths today now im home but all the shops are sold out of salt here cos of the snow. :dohh:

yeah ... its crazy isnt it, can u get hold of some lavender?

I popped a couple of stitches from my episiotomy, and that was pretty painful, can only imagine what the infection is like - ouchie! Hope you've got antibiotics for it.

I found that the stitches that stayed intact were feeling a lot better after a week or so, but with the popped ones the whole area took 2-3 weeks to feel pretty much healed. My scar is still a little tender from time to time though, and other mums I know say they occasionally get a little pain some months down the line. Why don't they tell you this before you get pregnant?!

They say not to use salt in baths now, as it makes your skin really dry. Lavender oil is best. Also my mw gave me some great tips for keeping the area clean, especially if like me your stitches interfered with wiping (sorry tmi), and I also got diarrhoea from the antibiotics, which didn't help! After using the loo, rinse yourself under the shower and dry yourself with a hairdryer. Keeping it clean and dry will help avoid further infection and promote healing.

By the way if you are on antibiotics and get diarrhoea, try taking them just before a meal with an entire glass of water - it worked for me.

Another tip to aid healing- pop some pads in the freezer for a few mins, put some witch hazel on them and wear in your knickers for relief x

Another tip to aid healing- pop some pads in the freezer for a few mins, put some witch hazel on them and wear in your knickers for relief x

I tried this this afternoon, it was the nicest feeling. I can't believe my doctor didn't tell me about putting one in the freezer, its just lovely!

You all have my sympathy! I felt better after 7 weeks (had some open stitches and infection - got antibiotics at 6 weeks).
It is so painful, and the worst thing was not knowing when it would stop, but honestly once you notice a slight improvement, it very quickly heals up.
Lavender baths were great, as was lying on my side with cushions between my legs!

I tried this this afternoon, it was the nicest feeling. I can't believe my doctor didn't tell me about putting one in the freezer, its just lovely!

I have to give credit to my mw for that one! But yeah, it really does soothe, glad you found it helpful

I took Arnica and found it helped reduce the soreness. Have to say I wasn't prepared for how sore my bits would be!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->