ER visit positive, not positive?

FutureBabyG

Reaction score
Went to ER for severe back to abdominal pain. Immediately they take urine sample. Followed by telling me they are going to get a CT to look for kidney stones. My LO is just over 3 months and ebf so no cycles have started. Then the md returns and says "congrats you are pregnant." Excuse me what? How? Yes it is a possibility. Then they cancel the CT due to the pregnancy. The MD then looks towards ectopic or miscarriage. They run a quantitative hcg and other labs. Hcg comes back <1. They redo my urine hcg with another lab person. Same result but darker. Redraw quantitative hcg results <1. ER MD states this has never happened and doesnt know how its possible. They have done other peoples urine same day... all negative. I came home and took and frer and i thought it was neg but within 3 min had a very very faint line. My husband can easily see the line.

I do have a kidney stone.

Has anyone else had this happen? What is going on?

Never had myself, but I've heard hcg takes longer to leave urine tha blood. Maybe a chemical??

That's what i asked the MD and apparently they all said unlikely. With my ds i never got my cycle back until he was 15 months and i decreased my pumping/ feeding to try to get a cycle to start trying again. We ended up getting pregnnt that cycle with dd. I am producing just as much bm and even more on some days. No cycle yet and not cutting back on pumping. Told dh that i will now test 10-12 days after every bd. He laughed but realized not a bad idea. Time to stock up on ic. POAS addict time :)

Oooo how bizarre I have read that it is possible for hcg not show in the blood in some cases maybe this is yours, can't wait to see your pics :) do you have one of the frer? Xx

How strange. I hope you get some answers soon :hugs:

If you Google it, it's possible to have negative betas but positive urine tests

Oooo how bizarre I have read that it is possible for hcg not show in the blood in some cases maybe this is yours, can't wait to see your pics :) do you have one of the frer? Xx

I am on my way home from MD appt but when i get home i can take a pic of the test. It didnt change from 2 min or 3 min mark until now.

For my previous pregnancies hcg always showed up when frer or ic had a line. Every pregnancy is different tho. I am really thinking miscarriage.

Sorry for the delay. Here is a pic of frer this am. Figured i would just do a fresh one. Easier to see pink line in person. B2b says files too big so hopefully it works.

Spoke to obgyn- their office wont do anything until medical records sends them er visit chart, but the md office is being butts and wont call to request files and medical records says md office has to call to have them faxed to them otherwise i have to drive over their to sign paper pick them up and fax them myself. Thats 2 hours of driving with 2 kiddos, plus it is lunch and naptime. Due to being in er my car is still at hospital and i dont have a ride to get to it until tonight after office closed. Ugh called md office at 930 am to tell them the medical office number and never heard bac so called at 1 and spoke with rn. She was irritated that i called back without medical records and that i was asking her to request them. It is her job, i am a nurse and i request records all the time for mds. Its super easy and take 5 min or less.

Since they arent responding called my previous fertility md and had a rough time even getting secretary to let me talk with rn (not even md). They wanted me to put in a request for old chart and wait 24-48 hours to just speak with rn. After begging they left me speak with the rn. She took my concerns called me back 10 min later, fertility md has never seen this. She saw my er chart and cant believe it. Wants me to come in to repeat betas tomorrow to be safe. I think my numbers will be at 0 but just want to be 100%. She was very nice.

All i want answered is, is there any explaination for positive urine negative blood test? Then if they have or havent heard of it any advice what i may need to be on the look out for? Cramping bleeding? Pain? Any info would be helpful... should i do my progesterone as precautionary since my body doesnt make enough?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180221-150835.jpg
    Screenshot_20180221-150835.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 109
Well i cant see anything on the photo niw that its uploaded. I may just be crazyn but then the lab is too.

If. Bloods are negative then you aren&#8217;t pregnant. It could be leftover hcg or maybe something in kidney stone triggers a positive urine test? Not sure but I would def relu on blood test X

If. Bloods are negative then you aren’t pregnant. It could be leftover hcg or maybe something in kidney stone triggers a positive urine test? Not sure but I would def relu on blood test X

Kidney stones do not produce or made up of hormones. Kidney stones are made up of minerals.

I havent just had 1 positive hcg i have had >5 on 3 different tests ran by 4 different people. I get that negative blood is negative fore pregnancy. I am a nurse so i do fully understand. Just feel like i need answers why blood is negative but pee continues to be positive. Just looking for anyone with similar situation and their outcome.

I am not looking to be pregnant right now since my dd is only 14 weeks but if i am it is a blessing i will gladly accept.

Could be a medication, if you're on any. I know some sleep medications, some anti-anxiety like Xanax or valium, and the anti-histamine promethazine can do it, as well as a few other medication classes.

For me, I can get a Pregnant 1-2 on a Clearblue with Weeks Estimator any morning after I use zolpidem for sleep. It's just how I metabolize it, and just how that test interprets it. Only that one brand picks it up, every other test comes up negative, and so does my bloodwork. Since I'm single by choice and not sexually active with a partner, unless I just did a round of IVF for surrogacy, there's no chance I'm pregnant, but I still get a positive on those things. It's so surreal.

That's all I can think of that you haven't already mentioned. It's a pretty rare thing, but...?

Chellesama- thank you. I didn't know that, but nope. I only take prenatal, folic acid, vitamin d and calcium which i have taken for years. No false positives before. Thank you for informing me of those though.

Chellesama, I use diazepam regularly for anxiety and I have researched this myself, there is only speculation that it could cause false positives but no proof that it does. I have tested this theory out myself since I take it daily, and I have only had positive tests when pregnant (aside from a couple of completely false positives but that was down to the tests being faulty), otherwise they're completely negative. I don't know about other anti-anxiety meds but diazepam doesn't cause false positives. I read some info a while ago, statistics of people who out of however many thousand or whatever had false positive pregnancy tests when taking diazepam, and there was like one person or something silly. But of course, a number of other things could have been at play, there wasn't anything to prove it was that and they can't really do a controlled study because it wouldn't be ethical. Not having a go, just putting it out there that the evidence is weak at best for this particular drug, and in my personal experience it doesn't do this.

OP, rarely people can see negative betas, positive hpts and be pregnant with a healthy pregnancy. I Googled it a lot but it really isn't likely. I found some women who had had children after positive hpts but negative betas, I don't know why that happened.
What's more likely is a chemical pregnancy imo. Since hCG appears in blood faster than urine but disappears out of blood faster and slower in urine, it's more likely that you're seeing the hormone in your urine still, after it's left your blood. This has happened to me before, despite my tests seemingly progressing, my beta returned <1 and soon after I had those results my tests started to fade. In fact, I was so confused by it that's precisely why I Googled it in the first place and found those few women who'd had positive hpts, negative betas but gone on to have a healthy child. Isn't impossible but it is unlikely

If. Bloods are negative then you aren&#8217;t pregnant. It could be leftover hcg or maybe something in kidney stone triggers a positive urine test? Not sure but I would def relu on blood test X

Kidney stones do not produce or made up of hormones. Kidney stones are made up of minerals.

I havent just had 1 positive hcg i have had >5 on 3 different tests ran by 4 different people. I get that negative blood is negative fore pregnancy. I am a nurse so i do fully understand. Just feel like i need answers why blood is negative but pee continues to be positive. Just looking for anyone with similar situation and their outcome.

I am not looking to be pregnant right now since my dd is only 14 weeks but if i am it is a blessing i will gladly accept.

Very strange since hcg first hits the blood and then lastly it shows up in Urine. Many HPT tests can be negative yet blood tests turn up positive which makes sense ( this was my case and that&#8217;s how I found out I was pregnant with my first ). No idea why you are getting false readings on HPT, the only logical explanation would infact have been some sort of chemical/ early miscarriage. What do the drs say?

If. Bloods are negative then you aren’t pregnant. It could be leftover hcg or maybe something in kidney stone triggers a positive urine test? Not sure but I would def relu on blood test X

Very strange since hcg first hits the blood and then lastly it shows up in Urine. Many HPT tests can be negative yet blood tests turn up positive which makes sense ( this was my case and that’s how I found out I was pregnant with my first ). No idea why you are getting false readings on HPT, the only logical explanation would infact have been some sort of chemical/ early miscarriage. What do the drs say?

Yes. This has always been the case with me. I have had many hpts show up positive, and have had two cycles where I had betas done which showed <1 followed by tests fading away. It's just a case of crap timing and seeing the tests show first but since it disappears out of blood faster than urine, it must already have been lost by the time the bloods were done. Most do their own tests at home first, here it isn't even routine to do betas

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->