Erm, advice on flats please :(

Sarah-Jane

Mummy to 3 boys :)
Reaction score
Hi, not been on for a while... had abit of trouble going on.
Me and my boyfriend are OK now, just wanting everything to work out.
I've been arguing alot again recently with my mum and I really don't think it's good for me or my baby. She's been texting so much abuse to my boyfriend about how he's going to make a crap dad as he's gone to Uni instead of getting a full time job to provide for our baby (we spoke about the situation and we knew we'd make it work and we are doing)... he's had to get her number blocked by his network provider she's been that bad!
I just don't want my baby growing up in the same atmosphere as I have done and end up like me (complete lack of confidence, nothing but bad memories from my childhood and no family to be able to talk to). All I've grown up knowing is arguments between my parents, my mum drinking herself into an early grave and complete hell if I'm honest.
Me and my boyfriend are working so hard right now and saving every penny to provide for our baby and money wise we're doing fine, but we haven't got enough or earning enough to afford a flat too. My boyfriend is living at Uni 4 days a week and it's not possible for me to move there. We've been trying so hard to stay off benefits but I need to give my baby a home, I need to know we've got somewhere where my baby can enjoy his/her childhood and live in a happy atmosphere.
As we don't have enough for a flat (we've got money saved for baby and still saving) we were wondering how we go ahead with a council flat? I'll be there on my own during the week with the little one and my boyfriend will be stopping with us at weekends. I just don't know how to go about it. I just need to get out of this house as soon as possible to sort myself out and provide the life for my baby that I never experienced.
Sorry for the waffle but all advice would be great, thanks
xxx S.J xxx

You can go to your local council and apply as homeless babe, but most of the time they will just offer you a hostel until they can get you place,which can be anywhere around a year.

You could ask your council for a local list of private renting landlords that accept local housing allowance, which is where the council pay your rent and council tax benefits as well.

I would go down your local citzen advice. U maybe better off getting somewhere private that will have housing benefit as u ahave a pick of the area u want as the council will just allocate u one in any area available and the problem with this is that if u dont like the area if u turn it down the 3 rd they dont offer again!
your job centre will also help. However u could just google the housing benefit number and get a form sent to u. hope this helps x

So if I chose to private rent (say I see a flat I like in a nice area for £60-£70 a week) I'll be able to get help from the council to pay that as well as bills? x

There is also normally local schemes that will pay your bond and first months rent

You could try and mother and baby unit, there not that bad the one near me allows partners to stay aswell

good luck
xx

You'd be best getting in touch with your council and finding out what they will offer as services vary depending on where you live. The amount of help councils offer doesn't seem to be the same nationally unfortunately xx

Ask the council , Or search the net hun for Local housing associations :) . You will get a property quicker through a houseing assosciation then the council , Again you will get help from the council on the rent/council tax . And again like the council charge no bonds etc.
Or look for a Private landlord who accepts dss (rent benefit) , And then apply for a community care grant , A Loan not needed to pay back to help with Bonds/Rent in advance.
Good luck hope u make a lovely little home for you all . xxxx .

Does anyone know any good websites to check anything like that. I live in Manchester x

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=m...s=org.mozilla:en-GB:official&client=firefox-a
https://www.manchesterhomefinder.org/Info/1bhfhsgreg.shtm

Hope they help . xx .

Every county is completley different, Some of the larger towns/cities put you on a council flat list and when ones free then you get it.
Others(such as north devon) dont have a council flat list and pretty bloody useless! Iv already asked about it as I will need somewhere to live and this is what happens, They put a young pregnant person(me) in a homeless hostel with a load of other homeless people, but thats only temporary,for a few months at the most and then after that they ship me off to a B&B in the most scummiest town,where I can stay untill baby is born, after that the im prety much fucked(excuse language). I think its discusting that they will expect to me to do this, and even if I do stay there during my pregnancy, what am I supposed to do when my baby is born?! The council is a load of bollox in my opinion.
If I were you I would go and speak to your local citizens advice bureau, They deal with housing issues and should be able to give you some guidance, whether its helpful or not but thats what their there for
Good Luck
X

Sorry I don't have any advice about flats, I'm from Canada and I'm sure everything is different here.. But I did want to say that it's a good idea to get your own place if you can, because your situation doesnt sound that great at home, and I honestly think you will find a way if you stay determined. I moved out of home when I was sixteen, and I was going to school and working part time and even though my living situation wasn't always perfect, and it was a struggle to keep up with bills, I did it, and I'm sure you can too.. Although I didn't have a baby to worry about. I hope everything works out for you :D

:hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"