Erythema nodosum - sore bumps on shin

Rachel_C

Reaction score
Just got back from a visit to my GP about some sore bumps on my shin. At first I thought I'd managed to bang into something but it's been nearly two months and they haven't gone so I thought it might be some kind of infection that needed sorting.

The doctor knew what it was straight away - erythema nodosum. It's some kind of inflammatory reaction. Apparently it can be caused by different things and sometimes they never even know the cause. One possibility is that being pregnant caused it. Normally they'd give me strong anti-inflammatories but it's not dangerous, just sore, so I've just been told to take paracetamol.

What is worrying me a bit is that one of the other possible causes is lymphoma, which is a kind of cancer of the lymphatic system. Lymphoma is pretty rare, but I had Hodgkin's Lymphoma two years ago. I've been all clear for ages now and my oncologist told me a few weeks ago to just enjoy a normal healthy pregnancy and forget cancer. I was doing, until this!

So I really hope (and 99% believe) that this is caused just by being pregnant and is nothing more sinister. Has anybody else on here ever had erythema nodosum? It's pretty rare but I think it would make me feel better if I knew somebody else had had it due to pregnancy!

Rach x

I cant help you here...sorry! But hopefully someone will be able to soon so you can put your mind at rest! I wouldnt worry too much...if they have said that pregnancy can cause, you're prob gonna find that its your pregnancy thats caused it! Im sure if your doctor had been concerned he would have ordered some tests instead of recommending paracetemol! Keep us updated and I hope you feel better soon! xxxxx
:hugs::hugs::hugs:

Yup, there are studies that the pregnancy hormones are linked to erythema nodosum. Birth control pills are another common cause if they can't find a true reason for them (like an infection,...). They do usually search for other causes first...but perhaps pregnancy is such a common trigger that they don't feel the need?
Shins are a very common location. Oh, putting your legs up will help reduce them more quickly, so does bandaging your legs (it'll likely still take weeks, though).

Just re-read your post. It's likely just the pregnancy, and nothing to worry about - but if lymphoma is another possible trigger... Why not inform your oncologist, just to be on the safe side?

Thank you both!

The GP said he would telephone my oncologist to ask his opinion and would call me if they decided I should be seen or have more tests etc. Unfortunately I missed a call from him so I'm now waiting till 5pm when surgery ends at the doctors so I can speak to him. Hopefully he's just ringing to let me know that he couldn't find my onc (not sure he actually works Fridays!) rather than anything more serious.

Thanks for the tips - I'm now sitting with my legs up and will send hubby out for bandages when he gets home!

Rach x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->