evening primrose oil?

expecting76

Reaction score
i posted about this on the main third trimester forum but got no response. i'm wondering if anybody on here has experience or advice about taking epo the last few weeks of pregnancy to help soften the cervix. i've read about it on the internet but have no personal knowledge of how effective it may or may not be.

I'm afraid I can't help with your actual question, but I am going to start taking it this week, just need to buy some more as I can't find my pre-pregnancy stash. I can however say I really believe they helped us to fall pregnant, so I'm giving them go. A few other women on here might be able to shine more light on it, but to be honest its hard to say for sure! Women will probably differ in opinions as we'll all have different experiences and put them down to different things we've done or taken :)

I took it last time and inserted it - not sure if it made any difference? :shrug:
This time I"m using Starflower oil as it contains more of the active ingredient than EPO, and also going to insert from round about now.

I used EPO last time and will again this time. I had great results. I took one pill a day orally at 36 weeks. Then one pill a day vaginally starting at 38 weeks. (It just dissolves up there). Also, I had a vaginal exam in the office at 38 weeks and my doc put the oil directly on my cervix. I delivered DD at 39.1 weeks, but was already 3-4cm and 100% effaced before ever starting labor! :) (I also used raspberry leaf tea starting at 32 weeks).

You could also try having sex every day!! :winkwink:

Semen contains prostaglandins which help the cervix thin and soften, and being intimate stimulates your production of oxytocin too.

When women are induced prostaglandins are usually inserted into the vagina to 'ripen' the cervix first, making it more favourable to dilation.

Have fun!

I used it my last two and it definitely helped.
EPO & RLT

Neither will actually induce labor. While some lay midwives will argue that statement about the Evening Primrose, which is the reason it is not recommended until 36 weeks or "full term", almost all sources with experience agree that it does nothing that the body was not ready to do on its own. I will repeat this at the end of this section, to make sure you understand this, as there is a lot of confusion and misconception surrounding these two substances.

Evening primrose oil is an excellent source of prostaglandins, which we already determined readies your cervix for labor. It can be taken orally as soon as 34 weeks, and can be applied directly to the cervix at full term (36 weeks). The general recommendation is two 500mg capsules per day until week 38, at which time you increase to 3-4 per day. The entire capsule can be inserted vaginally (inserted just before bed, it will dissolve before the first time you wake to use the bathroom), or you can use the oil on your fingers for your perineal massage, then also rub on your cervix (assuming you can reach it). Applying directly to the cervix is optimal, but the beneficial ingredients are absorbed through the external skin or the stomach also.

Red raspberry leaf tea is a uterine tonic used by Native Americans for thousands of years. It tones your uterus by helping to "focus" your Braxton Hicks contractions. Think of its job as helping your uterus do more effective exercising while you are pregnant. It does not "cause" contractions and can be safely used throughout pregnancy. It is contraindicated for those having complications "just in case", however, by most doctors who do not understand its use. Many women safely use it from the moment they learn they are pregnant at six weeks until months after delivery. (It helps to tone the uterus after delivery as well, shrinking it back to size more quickly and reducing bleeding.)

Again, neither of these actually causes labor to start!

With ds2 I started using EPO 2 weeks before my due date. I took one orally and one vaginally before going to bed (otherwise it's messy lol) and my cervix ripened and softened really really well. Mixing that will the super walks I did and birth ball bouncing ds2 came right on his due date! I'll definitely be using it again this time :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->