Excuses for not drinking??

arual

Reaction score
:shrug:
I've got a few nights out planned but don't want to tell people I'm expecting yet as it's still so early. Any tips on reason for being on the OJ?

I say that I'm on antibiotics for a kidney or bladder infection, and then it excuses me for weeing all the time too! lol

unless ur doing rounds u cud just say ur drinking vodka orange or with lemonade instead.
you could say ur not feeling well so dont feel like getting drunk or ur on tablets for infection or something along those lines

Say you're hungover from the night befores antics! :)

1. You've given up alcohol for lent
2. You're on a diet
3. You're on antibiotics/allergy pills

I usually say I'm driving. Thats a good one. Otherwise, say antibiotics, or if your like me make an excuse and don't go out. xx

I've started saying that my LO is at mums (true anyway) and i have to pick him up really early. Its worked so far, which is great because no one beleived any of my excuses for not drinking the last time. I don't know what that says about me :haha:

i said i had a water infection, that i was on antibiotics but the main reason was alcohol was hard to flush out and would be painful to pass. no idea if this is true but it seemed to work. hating lying to my friends but they didnt care when they found out my reason x

I had started a detox in the new year and then I had a small op which meant painkillers so I was not drinking for another 2 weeks, then I found out I was preggers. I haven't really gone out with close girlfriends as I think they will guess and I just don't want to tell anyone until after my scan. But when me and OH go out he just buys my drink (a slimline tonic) and I skip rounds with the others so only he knows what I am having, so people aren't really asking me much anymore, I think everyone thought I was pregnant in January so its a bit ironic that I wasn't but now I am.

But basically I tend to drive or just avoid the question. Antibiotics and water infection is a good one if you can't think of a reason to drive.

OH thought of one for me as Ive already used the antibiotics excuse :/. He said to pretend Im drinking, like have coke and pretend ther is something in it, then your excuse for not getting drunk could be that you think they must have watered the vodka down. (They may not taste it if they are drinking anyway!) I think somebody else suggested this too! xx (Oh but maybe better with lemonade as there is caffeine in coke and you may want to limit that !) x

I poured grape juice in a wine bottle and drank grape juice one night with my MIL and DH. We were at our cottage and couldn't use the excuse of driving or what not. I have used the excuse that I was hungover from the night before, I was having Bloodwork done the next day and didn't want alochol in my system for it, I had a Wicked Headache, gave it up for lent (that is my excuse for coffee too).

I've had a few happy hours with work or business colleagues recently (and obviously I have no intention of informing work yet, I'm in a high pressure, competitive field and want to avoid being "the pregnant woman" as long as possible). These are the various things I've done:

1) Get there early, find female bartender or waitress to confide in, ask for sprites or ginger ales with lime in short glasses. This works well for happy hour tables served by wait staff and the same waitress will continue to bring you "another" the rest of the evening.

2) If you arrive with everyone else or can't get there early, ask to see a menu of the beverages if you get there late, then not be ready when everyone else orders and ask them to come back. Then, after waiter/waitress leaves, go up to bar or follow waiter and place your "ginger ale and lime" or "sprite and lime" beverage.

3) Have a drink buddy, aka someone who gets you 'drinks' from the bar so it's not suspicious with your group if you are always going up to the bar and ordering alone. This means you have to to tell someone, obviously, and they must have acting skills. My husband and my one work colleague who knows have both done well with this.

4) I was training for a half marathon (that I ran in Jan) before I got pregnant, and I had to stop a lot of the drinks anyway before running because it was too dehydrating before longer runs on Saturdays. Say you are training for a run or other athletic event and watching your beverages because it dehydrates you. May not work depending on circumstances.

I've never said the antiobiotics excuse -sorry, but it's too obvious, and will get people talking here. I'm already a prime "target" for the gossip (right point in career time-wise, married for over 5 years, right age, etc.) at the office.

P.S. I heard you aren't supposed to drink Tonic water because the quinine?

i would say ur jst getting over the flu or food poisoning and the thought of throwing up alcohol doesnt sound appealing... or if u work the next day say ur boss is on a firing spree and u have to be on ur game(if its a weekend say u have to get up early n meet MIL for coffee), or say u got a bet going with OH that u cant go out with out drinking if its a very normal thing for you and have OH play along

I wasn't aware about the Slimline tonic being unsafe to drink. I haven't seen it on the NHS exclusions. I have done a bit of googling and not seen anything which directs one way or another.

From what i can see the quinine content is much less than any prescibed medication so I think the couple of tonics I have had (not every week) should be okay.

But thanks for the heads up - I have just mailed schweppes for them to advise the level of quinine content - is it just slimline tonic water or soda water too?

i jsut say no thanks... whose gonna drive everyone home if i start too...
of course i've never been a big drinker and i stopped sstealing sips off hubby's beer too which didnt go un noticed... i just said i have to teach all week and cant feel like crap...or i tell them i'm having visitors at work from headquarters and have to be on my game.
they usually get bored at that point and stop pushing

As soon as I found out I'm pregnant I quit smoking, which I have done many times in the past just because, so now I just say I'm not drinking so I don't have cigarette cravings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->