exercise?!? How much are we all gettin

bubbles_cymru

Reaction score
I used to be a manic gym bunny up until i got pregnant - I do bugger all now! I really should do some right?:wacko:

I'm getting NO exercise!! Just relaxing myself, will go for a walk a few times a week but just - i know its bad, but i can't be bothered.

ZERO, lol!

All i get it when i go out walking around shops, or doing housework and stuff, odd time on wii fit. I cant do as much as i did 5weeks ago, my pubic bone cant hack it :(

I used to be a gym addict too, but if im honest im doing very little now :/ I just dont have the energy and my body feels too heavy to be doing any workouts.
I do take a few gentle walks but thats about it .. hmph! ehe x

I walk to and from work, about 35 min each way and on some days much more. I love walking, but was wondering if it is enough at all?:shrug: Any advice??

I used to be a manic gym bunny up until i got pregnant - I do bugger all now! I really should do some right?:wacko:

Theoretically - assuming you are healthy and there is no medical reason not to - yes... If you did very regular exercise before beign pregnant, then that is what your body is used to and - in all honesty - maintaining exercise will keep your stronger for a more active birth and help you bounce back quicker (energy, weight and fitness) after the birth...

I still aim for 4 gym sessions a week (normally get in 4 - only 3 if I am very busy/tired) and one pre-natal yoga session (used to do regular pilates/yoga, but not really advised any more and the pilates was really knackering me out). I DID start reducing the intensity of my gym sessions as soon as I BFP'd. Two days before I BFP'd I went for a 4 mile run and felt like ABSOLUTE DEATH afterwards for a couple of days (I had a BFN that morning, but how I felt after the run kind of tipped me off :dohh: ). So that was a sign to watch the intensity of what I did - haven't been running/jogging since. Plus - until about 12 weeks pregnant - I felt more fatigued... so slowing things down was a way to cope. At 14/15 weeks one of the gym instructors redid my gym routine to be "pregnancy friendly". It is fine at the moment.

You would have to be careful starting again after doing nothing, but speak to one of your gym instructors and see what they suggest. The other alternatice is swimming - GREAT exercise during pregnnacy. You aren't looking for the same things, from exercise, in pregnancy as you were before: you are just trying to maintain some fitness/strength/health and help you bounce back a little easier after birth.

Pre-natal classes (with a good instructor) are a must... I wouldn't call it "exercise", but it is definitely "birth preparation" and it is great to meet other pregnant women and get experience/advice. Love it :thumbup:

Oh, and if you are inclined, get a swiss ball at home (being a gym bunny you might already have one). You want one so that, when you sit on it, your hips are a little higher than your knees. Great for justing sitting on (for your posture) and for bouncing on, rocking on, doing little circles on, figures of 8 etc... supposed to really promote a healthy back for you and a good birthing position for baby :thumbup:

QT

ohh I soo miss the gym I used to do aerobics or body pump every day - I was then swimming every day but the last two weeks havent done that either. I am soo tired still and just working wipes me out. We have three labs whom we walk for 45 mins a day and the walk is quite hilly so its not just a dawdle. I am going to try swimming again from monday so we will see. I also got the davina dvd which is good oh and I do three sets for 20 tricep dips a day lol I hate flabby upper arms lol

I walk to and from work, about 35 min each way and on some days much more. I love walking, but was wondering if it is enough at all?:shrug: Any advice??

Sounds good to me - especially if you are a brisk walker :thumbup:

pre-natal yoga is definitely my tip to anyone... honestly it isn't like exercise (it is relaxing and soothing), but will hopefully help with pregnancy health and with birth. I don't teach it or own shares in a company that does, but I just think it is excellent for pregnant women :thumbup:

Edited to add, you do need to do what is right for you... only you know your own body. I know when I am properly tired/fatigued and I don't push myself to do anything then - bad idea during pregnancy...

QT

Its about all I can do to walk to the station and back for work at the moment - damn SPD makes me walk at a snails pace and I cant burn anything off and I can literally feel my butt and thighs getting squishier! :growlmad: Also getting sciatica down my right leg now - :growlmad: again!

I realised I was doing nothing other than walking around shops etc so started going swimming. It's supposed to be the best thing to do when pregnant because you're "weightless" in the water so shouldn't put too much pressure on your body. Only thing is, I only own bikinis so am going with the bump on full display, sure I must just look fat to the untrained eye, I don't care but I bet they are thinking "I wouldn't be wearing a bikini if I had a belly like that" - lol

I've been trying to go 2 or 3 times a week but if I wake up and don't feel like it, I don't go, as QT says, no point pushing yourself too hard.

I had still been riding my horse quite regularly (3-4 times a week) up until now but i have decided to give it up now as its not so comfortable or enjoyable anymore, but i still muck out daily and do a yoga class for pregnant women once a week - thats about it really - havent been to gym since feeling really rough with morning sickness

I'm doing quite well but not as well as I'm aiming for! :blush: Thing is, last two days I've panned a walk (yesterday) in the morning and the gym (this morning) but I keep waking up in the middle of the night for 2 or more hours and so when my alarm wakes up I set it an hour forward and THEN get out of bed. :sleep:

So Yeah, not as much as I should. Need to be more organised that's all.

I really think walking regularly is the best exercise from what I've heard. People who keep walking a lot seem to have a shorter labour (okay so I'm only judging on about a dozen peeps, but that's quite a few!!!) and I've heard hill walking :shock: is supposed to be REALLY good for labour. Thinking of a weekend away in the peak district in a few weeks if all goes well! :)

I used to run everyday but the minute I found out I was pregnant I stopped, I tried starting on the treadmill power walking but I am SO unfit now its unbelievable :lol:

I want to try and do a few miles walking on the treadmill everyday for the next 3 months but I'm just lazy lazy lazy now, I am actually looking at my treadmill right now :rofl:

I wak to work and back every day (roughly a 5 mile round trip) but apart from that I don't do anything.

I realised I was doing nothing other than walking around shops etc so started going swimming. It's supposed to be the best thing to do when pregnant because you're "weightless" in the water so shouldn't put too much pressure on your body. Only thing is, I only own bikinis so am going with the bump on full display, sure I must just look fat to the untrained eye, I don't care but I bet they are thinking "I wouldn't be wearing a bikini if I had a belly like that" - lol

I've been trying to go 2 or 3 times a week but if I wake up and don't feel like it, I don't go, as QT says, no point pushing yourself too hard.

I've cut right back on exercise since being pregnant, ms just didn't allow it the first 15wks but since thats gone in the last few weeks I've been going to an aquanatal swimming class once a week & just normal swimming once/twice a week- also wearing bikini still- LOL (know what u mean jaydee!) last week i was showering before going in pool n looking down at little bump thinking wow, i look like a wee fatty now better get a swimming cossie!hehe, and this older lady said 'oh i remem when i was nice & slim like u', i looked at her in disbelief before saying i was just thinking that i'm getting a belly- told her i was pregnant- 'oooooh she said, staring hard at belly 'thats lovely' and before i knew it her friend and daughter were gathered round with ooohs and ahhhhs and asking when i was due etc! :laugh2: besides that, i count shopping as exercise2! hahaha off to do some now :happydance:

I've just looked at pregnancy exercise DVDs on amazon - does that count as exercise??! :rofl:

I go for some neighborhood walks and do lots of mall walking, does that count? I do have a prenatal exercise DVD, but I've only done it a couple times. I can't say I really enjoy it.

I walk about a mile or two 5 to 6 days a week. Thats only because my dog would go nuts!!

Any walking counts... :thumbup:.

Ideally 30+ minutes of walking a day (could be two lots of 15 minutes), maybe 4/5+ times a week ideally. The brisker the better - good to get your heart rate up, but you shouldn't be panting (should be able to hold a conversation whilst walking).

QT

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->