Experience with Sertraline and PND

cautious...

Reaction score
Hi Ladies.

I posted in the breastfeeding section the other day about experience of Postnatal Depression and BF.

I have now seen my doctor and have been diagnosed with quite severe PND. The Dr has prescribe Sertraline. I am also having constant panic attacks and very negative thoughts. I was very wary of taking medication whilst breastfeeding but the Dr said it was safe.

Does anyone have any experience with Sertraline (or zoloft)? I really hope it kicks in soon.

Thanks everyone :flower

My sister was on Fluxotine (prozac- 25mg then 50mg) and then swapped to Sertraline (50mg then 100mg) and she was a lot better. But every medication works differently for different people- you can't expect miracles overnight but if in a few weeks you feel nothing is helping then you need to talk to your GP about trying another medication.

I am breastfeeding and on sertraline for severe ppd. It has helped me immensely. It took a couple weeks for it to start working and a few months plus counseling and getting help with the baby at night so I could sleep more for me to really feel more like myself again. I am feeling very good now and the medication definitely helped me. My son is growing well and seems to have suffered no harmful effects from the medication.

I felt so awful before, like I would never be myself again and I just wanted to die. I am pretty much back to normal now so there is hope for you I promise! You will recover but it is a long road so don't expect overnight results and don't rely solely on medication. Seek counseling, exercise (which I should do more of), and a way to sleep more. Big hugs to you, you will be an excellent mother and kick this pnd stuff in the butt! It's an illness, try to remember to separate yourself from the illness.

My breastfeeding consultant advised me that Sertraline was very, very safe whilst breastfeeding.

I feel soooo much better after I started taking it, and my SIL's best friend also had bad PND and benefitted immensely from taking Sertraline... in fact it was her, and not my GP that finally swung my decision to actually take the tablets rather than just have them sitting in the cupboard.

After chatting to my SIL's friend I realised I owed it to my LO, and also myself, to do whatever I could to help me to try to enjoy this precious time.

That, and making the agonising decision to switch fully to formula feeding.

Thank you for all the replies. It's reassuring to hear them all xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->