Experience with zofran? If I take it for just a few days will it be effective?

susannah14

Reaction score
Hi all, got a question about zofran. So I've got some nausea and vomiting...it's nowhere as bad as it could be and I am managing well with B6+unisom. Some days are great but some days I want to die, and car rides are BAD.

We are going on a road trip next week for a wedding. I do NOT want to feel sick or throw up in the car or at the wedding so I called my DR to get a script for zofran. If I only take it throughout my trip, will it be effective, or is it the type of thing that takes a few days or a week to build up to a level where it will work?

Also, as an aside, has anyone been warned about the cleft palate + cardiac abnormalities thing by their DR? Apparently the FDA has warned against the drug in pregnancy but it's based on this incredibly small study and I just don't know what to think. It will probably be fine since I'll be around 11-12 weeks when I start it, and will only take for 4-5 days? The risks will be small, right?

Thanks for replies and experiences!

Zofran works pretty much immediately esp if they give you the dissolvable tablets..

I had heard of the study too but my Dr didn't think the risk was high enough for me to not take it.

I also got very car sick in the beginning even when I was the one driving. If not for zofran, I'd not have made it thru.

I took it every day on a 2 week trip to Europe. I was either on a plane, train, or road trip each day and the motion from those tended to make me feel the worst. It was just as effective day 1 as it was at the end.

I didn't read anything about the study/FDA not recommending it until after I got back. My doctor had prescribed it, though, so she wasn't concerned and didn't give me any kind of warning about it.

I had to take it every day up until I gave birth due to severe HG, and my daughter is a perfectly healthy and thriving 10 month old :)

It does work more or less immediately, and I would take it every day you are away if you want to avoid being sick etc. The thing I found with it, is that it worked really well whilst I was taking it, and I felt more or less ok on it. My doctor used to make me take a break in between packs to see if I was over HG...nope, within 3 days I was back to square one. After 4 of these "breaks", he stopped doing that and just kept me on it until little miss made her appearance!

i have zofran (the kind that dissolves on the tongue) and it works pretty much immediately on me. i also have a pack of 30 from having acid reflux before pregnancy but those arent dissolvable and i dont dare take them while pregnant although i think they're the same thing, just one isnt dissolvable. i dont take it often though because it causes constipation and i already get that from being pregnant, and although it makes me feel wonderfully morning-sickness free for a few hours, i dont feel safe taking it ever yday so i only take it when i absolutely cant handle the sickness anymore... so far ive taken 4 of my 10 prescribed zofran tablets since being 8 wks + 6 days.

There really is no harm taking it every day. :flower:

I took the non dissolving tablets twice a day until I gave birth, and like I said my DD is perfectly healthy :)

I understand your scepticism and concern though, I was the same when I started taking them.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this, but thanks for all your replies, it really helped! We are leaving on our trip tomorrow morning and I plan to take zofran the entire time I'm gone. I have taken one here and there just when I feel my worst, and it really does help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->