Exposed to Fifth Disease :-(

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by benjwool, Apr 21, 2009.

1. benjwool

benjwool 3 Beautiul Blessings

We went to pick up our 15 month old son from daycare and were greeted by a sign on the door. It read "confirmed case of Fifth Disease". We didn't think much of it as we read up on it until we got to the part that explained the dangers of being exposed during the first 20 weeks of pregnancy. :dohh:

Has anyone else had this dilemma? I'm really paranoid and the midwife is saying that there would be a 10% chance of fetal demise or other sorts of complications.

Maybe most women would breathe a sigh of relief, but not one who miscarried at 17 weeks just 6 months ago. :cry: Oh, and there was a 10% chance of that happening as well!! :hissy:

I'm terribly worried that something may go wrong again, but I'm trying not to stress about it too much. I'm going for a blood test tomorrow, so I am a little worried.

Any advice or personal experiences with this would be greatly appreciated.

:hug:

2. benjwool

benjwool 3 Beautiul Blessings

Waiting for blood test results.......

3. tat

tat Expecting #3

I don't have any experience with it but wanted to let you know I hope everything turns out ok... Please keep us updated!!

4. wishing4bub#3

wishing4bub#3 Well-Known Member

i have my fingres crosed for you

5. ttcbabyno.1

ttcbabyno.1 Due Date 25th December

My understanding of 5th disease (slap cheek) is that is rare for adults to get (you may have had it as a child and not known and therefore have immunity). Although it is quite contagious through coughing/sneezing/kissing/close contact it's highly unlikely that you would contract it from the nursery yourself.... but i suppose more of a worry that your son could have caught it, and pass it on. The incubation period is 2 weeks i believe.

I would look at it rationally and it's very unlikely sweetie. (Although that doesn't stop you worrying about it!) I hope you get the all clear from your blood tests!

xx

6. Seraphim

Seraphim Amazing Baby Girl

I'd never heard of it :/

Echoing ttcbabyno.1.

Thinking of you, hope the results come in quick xx

7. princess_bump

princess_bump Happy Wife & Mumma!

big :hugs: hope all is ok x x