Expressing - increasing amount at each sitting?

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by Lu28, Aug 23, 2009.

1. Lu28

Lu28 Aisling's mammy

I've been pumping since Aisling was a few days old and used to get tonnes. Seems that once my supply regulated, the amount I could get when pumping dramatically decreased.

I pump a bit before the first two feeds of each day, deliberately only 30ml each side so that there's enough left for Aisling's feed. I'll feed her last at about 7pm and then pump between 10.30pm and 11pm every night. But even at this last session I'll only ever get 30ml each side.

I've seen lots of your advice that the longer you pump at the same time, the more you get and I only get the same amount - but I'm wondering if I've somehow managed to train my boobs only to ever give me 30ml a sitting because of the morning sessions? And what I might do to change this?

Aisling doesn't wake at the same time every morning so I can't do it before she wakes unless I'm up at 5am...

Thanks, I really want to build up my freezer stash again!

2. NIfirsttimer

NIfirsttimer Proud mum, new wife & WTT

it might help if you change the time of that last pumping session.. i find it get more earlier in the day, or during the night than i ever would in the evening.. you are tired, and probably less hydrated etc.. plus your body releases prolactin mostly during the night so in the evening you are well away from the previous nights release.. i probably get most at my 11am or 2pm pumps.. but it might be different for you, just fiddle about with your schedule a bit and see if it makes any difference

3. Lu28

Lu28 Aisling's mammy

I've been leaving it as late as possible before I go to bed so that I have time to get a bit more milk after the 8pm feed...

4. asacia

asacia Guest

Empty breasts fill faster, so perhaps you could do two shorter pumps - one after her 8pm feed, and then a little while later?

I would pump every hour quite often, and still get a worthwhile amount.

5. saraendepity

saraendepity Daisy's Mummy and TTC!

have you tried taking fenugreek to boost your supply???

feel like a bit of a fraud posting advice as i've only been bf'ing for like 9 weeks so feel free to tell me to buggr off!!!!!!!!!:hugs:

sara

xxxxxxxxx

6. Lu28

Lu28 Aisling's mammy

Doesn't matter how long you've been bfing for, any advice gratefully received! :D :hugs:

Tried fenugreek a while back and I think it triggered some horrendous IBS which I ended up on other medication for for about 2 weeks. I cried more with the IBS than when I was in labour! :dohh::blush: I might give blessed thistle a try...

7. saraendepity

saraendepity Daisy's Mummy and TTC!

not a good idea then !!! let us know how you get on with blessed thistle....hope it works for you!!!!!

sara

xxxxxxxxx

8. Mervs Mum

Mervs Mum Doula & Mum of 3!

Unfortunately you do reach a point where pumping seems to get less and this tends to coincide with your supply regulating to 'on demand' ie. you no longer fill and empty as you previously did. You produce as they feed.

I tried a few tricks and nothing seemed to help so I just stopped pumping. :?

9. Lu28

Lu28 Aisling's mammy

Hmm, this is what I'm afraid of. I did get another herbal supplement today, shatavari root which is meant to be good so I'll see how that goes. I may just have to get over my stubborness of not wanting to break my exclusive breastfeeding spell by giving formula if I want / need to go out without Aisling. That's the main reason I'm hoping to increase the amount I pump.

10. Lara+sam+bump

Lara+sam+bump Well-Known Member

I pump 3-4 times a day, only one breast at a time, I get 1-2 ounces at any given time. Im away for 4 days in September so need to pump 4 ounces a day, every day until I go away. Cant wait to not have to be pumping quite as much lol. Maybe try pumping for shorter periods more often. I only pump for 5-10 mins at a time and then sometimes once he is in bed, if I havent got much during the day il do a long session of 20-30 mins. xxx