Extreme seperation anxiety - Experiences??

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by Mum22GTTC, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Mum22GTTC

Mum22GTTC Well-Known Member

Hi girls :flower:

Has anyone had any experiences of a child with extreme seperation anxiety?

My LO (13months) has always been very clingy, but I sort of thought by this age things would have improved. He has to be in physical contact with either me or DH ALL DAY & NIGHT or he screams, a full on hysterical screaming fit until one of us picks him up, cuddles him, puts on our lap etc. He will not sleep without my boob, so sleeping/naptime is a nightmare. He will not go to anyone other than me or DH, he cries if anyone even looks at him, he's scared of the door bell or any other unexpected noise......

I just cannot take it anymore, I'm beginning to think something isn't right :cry: He's reached all of his milestones fine, it's just this need to be on me all day that's worrying me, and to be honest driving me insane as well as causing me & DH to argue due to the stress, not to mention my poor other children that don't get the attention they deserve.

Any advice please :cry:

2. XJessicaX

XJessicaX mum to two girls!

:hugs:
    I know very little about separation anxiety but know all children at one point go through a stage of it. Unsure when, and for how long and how to deal with it! so I will be watching for answers!

3. xcharx

xcharx Well-Known Member

:hugs: my friends daughter is sort of like this and she's 17 months old.. maybe speak to a HV? They'll know more about it x

4. Mum22GTTC

Mum22GTTC Well-Known Member

Do you mind me asking, as your friend been told this kind of behaviour is something to be concerned about?

I've going to HV next week, but I'm dreading it, as I know I will break down & cry (which is what I seem to do every time I talk to someone about it), don't want her dismissing my worries by thinking I can't cope/it's PND IYSWIM, because I'm fine in myself, I just don't know what to do to make my LO happy.

5. xcharx

xcharx Well-Known Member

My friend hasn't seen any health professionals about it because it doesn't bother her (I think it doesn't bother her because her little girl is clearly her favourite child)..,.but to me its distressing to watch her child cry if she goes out of the room. Does your LO walk?? Once her LO started walking it wasn't as bad because she could always walk to find her x