Extreme stress right after conception -- impact on baby?

cl86

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I just found out that I'm pregnant (currently 5 weeks). I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm having such mixed feelings. My husband and I had been trying for a baby for almost two years and were getting to the point of almost losing hope. It came as a total surprise that we got pregnancy this cycle after so many failed cycles and my continually declining health (thyroid getting worse, cycles getting longer, depression/anxiety getting worse). Although we did the deed this cycle, I really wasn't holding my breath that we'd get pregnant. But here we are.

I'm having mixed feelings instead of being overjoyed like I always expected I would be because I'm afraid that I've done grave harm to my pregnancy. I was under VERY EXTREME stress and eating poorly/skipping meals at the time of conception and continuing for a few days afterwards (not because I wanted to, but because of the stressful circumstances). The research I've done indicates that increased cortisol levels and malnutrition around that time can have a potentially huge impact on the long-term health of a baby. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware of this research until after I discovered I was pregnant, and I am hating myself for not responding to the stressful situation differently/better. I really wasn't expecting that I would be pregnant, and in any case, I didn't think skipping a few meals would be harmful prior to implantation (which was wrong). I was wondering if anyone here happened to suffer severe stress right after conception and how that ended up impacting the health of your child. Even if it ended up negatively impacting your pregnancy/child, I would appreciate hearing about it so I can be prepared. Thank you.

Personally I’d try not to research things too much.
It wasn’t at conception but in my first pregnancy, both my nans passed away three months apart. I was around 13 weeks then 27/28 ish the second time. Then I lost my pet and some other distant family members. I worried like you something would happen but nope, she was absolutely fine.

This time, I’m being taken to court by my ex and have known about it for the last 5 weeks. I’ll be 31 weeks when I have to go into court next Monday but she’s been fine too.

The best thing is to relax as best you can, as hard as it sounds I know. Take the time to treat yourself to a longer bath or have a nice meal, something different to let yourself chill.
Hopefully things start improving soon, congratulations on your first too :)

Emsabub, thank you for sharing your story and for your well wishes. I'm so sorry about what you went through during your first pregnancy and what you're now going through in your current one. I hope everything works out favorably in court and that you can relax for the remainder of your pregnancy.

I wish there were a magical bubble all pregnant women could live in to keep out all stress and negative energy for 9 months! Short of that, I will take your advice and try to relax as much as I can. Thank you again :)

I have been under extreme stress since my bfp. I'm now 12 weeks along and have the worse anxiety ever. Daily panic attacks. Dread surging through my body. Over active mind. Constantly thinking likes it's uncontrollable. Just awful xx

@sammie13s, I'm so sorry. That is awful. I am having a similar experience although not quite to the level of experiencing panic attacks. Are you by any chance seeing a therapist or counselor? I started seeing one a few months ago for infertility-related issues and now am continuing to see her for pregnancy-related anxiety. I have found it to be quite helpful. Perhaps it would be helpful to you, too.

When I found out I was pregnant with dd, I was in therapy for depression, anxiety and anorexia. I wasn't trying to get pregnant, so had no idea until I starting getting nausea. I was more than 20 lbs underweight. I think I cried almost every day of my pregnancy. DD is now 5 and has always been healthy. I don't think babies are as fragile as we might believe. I hope you can find some peace and are able to relax and enjoy this special time.

When I found out I was pregnant with dd, I was in therapy for depression, anxiety and anorexia. I wasn't trying to get pregnant, so had no idea until I starting getting nausea. I was more than 20 lbs underweight. I think I cried almost every day of my pregnancy. DD is now 5 and has always been healthy. I don't think babies are as fragile as we might believe. I hope you can find some peace and are able to relax and enjoy this special time.

@Scout, I'm sorry about what you went through and how difficult your pregnancy was, but I'm glad to know your 5-year old is healthy. Thank you for sharing your story -- it's very reassuring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->