Extremely worried about work, please help!

AP

Reaction score
It was only at the beginning of the month the staff were taken into a meeting and we were told if we didnt reach a target by the end of the month, we would be taken through disciplinary procedures.

Our targets rely on people paying debt, so there's only so much we can do as humans!

However I have had at leadt 1 day off each week for the last 3 weeks. This is due to midwife appointments and the fact i have a bugger of a UTI.

The day I had off for the UTI was last week - it was far too uncomfortable for me to even contemplate work. Luckily I had some amoxicillan still in the house from a UTI in first triemester, so i took those and rested. I do know that with me, stress makes it a lot worse.

Today I have been hit with it again. I only have 3 antibiotics left, and I know i need a course of them to take asap, as i know left untreated it can be a complication in pregnancy.

Work are getting grumpy and I have been told to get some evidence that I am seeing a doctor again - something which has never been asked before and I think they are beginning to see me as a liability.

I know that whether we hit this stupid target or not, we probably will go through disciplinary procedures anyway - they are just like that. I'm starting to feel a little unprotected and i cannot help that I am ill. I certainly do want to be in work and try my best, but I know baby and my health should come first - but it doesnt stop me worrying.

Where do i stand if I need to take time off ill in this case? Should I even care?!!:hissy:

Sounds like they just think you are using your pregnancy as an excuse to take time off imo. So if you get a doctors note it really shouldn't be an issue at all.

I make sure to get one each time i need to take time off because of any medical issues, specially those related to pregnancies.

Hi there.
First, make sure you DO get proof of doctor visits, work is entitled to see it and it will help you if anything goes wrong. All you need is an appointment card filled in by the surgery - perhaps next time you're there, you can get an appointment card filled for all the dates you've not been there and also a note to confirm you've been prone to UTIs. Next time you need any medication and time off, get it cleared by the GP rather than trying to self medicate, as they are unlikely to take your self medication as proof you were at the GP.

As for the target and disciplinary procedure - they cannot measure by a benchmark which means you are prejudiced during pregnancy. Therefore, if you need time off to see the MW and GP due to pregnancy, which you are entitled to take, they are not allowed to measure you by a bench mark which directly (OR indirectly) relates to how often or long you are there. They can monitor you by how successful you are when you ARE there, but not as an overall of all the hours you could have worked.

If you are feeling victimised because of your pregnancy, you should lodge a complaint with HR so they know you are not going to take this lying down - they may think you're not going to kick up a fuss so they're going to try to make life hard for you. Do NOT stand for it, stand up for your rights and make sure they know your rights as well.

If you are ill and need to take time off, get it cleared with the GP and take it -they cannot prejudice your position because of this.

Oh and keep a log - anything that happens that makes you feel victimised, write a diary of it - so the day, the time and the thing that happens. Also make sure you write it the same day as it happens. These things hold a lot of weight, esp if they are detailed and clearly made at the time of the event.

Good luck xx

Thank you, it is worrying as we dont have an HR department, it is the directors that have threatened the disciplinary procedures but I have heard whispers that they have ulterior motives. the staff are getting copies of their contracts and doing everything to protect themselves. The only people we can see, are the citizens advice and any unions.

I am putting my foot down though!

im sure they cant do this to you and you can't be penalised in any way for taking time off so that would include targets. you could try contacting ACAS (08457 47 47 47) they are a free government related advice service about employment and work rights and policies. Ive rang them before and they are really good. they will tell you exactly where you stand and how to get it sorted. good luck x

Hi

My work tried to discipline me last week for time I had taken off ill during my pregnancy for pregnancy related illness. (I have had 3 and 1/2 days off in 4 occasions) Which is against the sex discrimination laws, I went onto the direct gov website and printed off the relevant bits, I put maternity rights in the search box and it brought a lot of info and I highlighted the sentence, my manager left the room went to HR and then came back and said the meeting was a welfare meeting and not a disciplinary meeting.

I don't know if this helps, but because I stood up to them they had to take notice (plus I threatened to go my union if they insisted on continuing with the disciplinary process).

Sounds like all the good points have been covered.

I hope the advice helps and you can get this nipped in the bud.
Let us know how you get on xx

Hi there

I'm afraid I'm not much help with the work side of things, but may be with the UTI. The fact you have tablets left over leads me to think that you didn't finish an earlier course(s), which may be a reason why it keeps coming back. Even when you feel better after a couple of days you should still finish the course, as you feel better when the bugs have got below a critical level, but need the rest of the course to knock the last few on the head too otherwise they'll just start growing again when you stop the tablets. Your doc might also want to get your wee tested to check the antibiotic he's giving actually works against the bugs that are causing your infection.

Hope your UTI clears up soon and your work situation gets sorted.

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->