facebook, facebook, facebook... :(

azure girl

Baking #3
Reaction score
So on Saturday we announced this baby on Facebook. Lots of great responses, BUT, my father-in-law and his sister ruined it! They started coming up with horrible names! My married name is Terry and they came up with 40-50 stupid names like mili terry, ceme terry, dysen terry. They kept posting them, so my first response was that it was a wonder his kids had normal names at all and we haven't discussed names yet. He continued posting what no doubt he thought were clever names and told me to just choose one already. My second response was that the joke was old and to please stop. What would you do? They started out sort of funny, but got less and less funny, actually angering me. I mean, this will be his first grandchild, one he really really wanted, and yet he does that? Then his daughter said, she still thought they were funny. I feel like he just made fun of my unborn baby...:nope:

I hate when people can't take a hint. They think something is so funny and in reality, its not. Just try and take it with a grain of salt of have your husband talk to him and tell him to stop...tell him its a baby and not a joke.

Hope this isn't a sign of things to come for you, my fil is an absolute moron, dreading seeing him/letting him see the new baby he was so inappropriate the first time x

This is just another reason why I know I shouldnt get an account.
Tell them to grow up and get a hobby xx

Id delete them off facebook or set your settings to restricted x

Fortunately, I haven't had to deal with family members or friends making snarky comments about our baby or my pregnancy. Everyone has been SUPER excited for my hubby and I, since we lost our first pregnancy in March of this year. I think that's probably the reason why everyone is SO nice (which is FINE with me-haha). I'm not really sure how I'd deal with the comments, but ignoring them and possibly playing along would be my options. Some people just have a twisted sense of humor and it's hard to understand their thought processes. I would definitely NOT announce any names to your FIL or to anyone, for that matter. I'm sure once he gets ahold of a name that you and your hubby DO love, he'll bash that one too, and then I'd REALLY be pissed off. Brush it off and try your best to pay attention to the positive comments! That baby in your belly is gunna be the sweetest and most LOVED thing ever! Don't let someone stupid ruin this experience for you and your hubby!! <3

My MIL does that too(but not on facebook but in RL), it's really p*ssing me off. I wish it was on facebook so I could easily delete it:haha:

It's just so weird because I make a random joke like: what is a pirate's favorite letter? Arrrr... Just for example, something silly and he rolls his eyes. Typically a joke has to have more meat and potatoes for him to find it amusing. I just don't get him. He is a doctor, so I wonder if he felt he was showing his genius to everyone. I finally had to explain how it made me feel, next stop will be deleting comments. I don't think he will ridicule the name we choose, but I really don't want to name one of our kids after him (something DH thinks he may want to do) after that stunt.

I'm so sorry you're going through this.

Yes, people think they're being funny. They know they have a huge audience because pregnancy announcements attract a lot of attention, so they just ham it up.

As I explained on another thread, I posted the sonogram pic from my avatar on FB, and some guy said, "Congratulations, you're having a lizard." When both DH and I said something along the lines of, "I know you're just trying to be funny, but for future reference, people don't like when you joke about the appearance of their unborn children," he just kept commenting away. Then he said I need to grow a sense of humor and un-friended me.

It's like they prioritize people thinking they're funny over maintaining positive relationships. Either way, people can be really insensitive about other people's pregnancies... especially on FB. (Nothing like announcing you're pregnant and then reading in your newsfeed, "OMG, why is EVERYONE getting pregnant?!" What are you supposed to do.. answer?)

The other thing that bothers me is when people try to make my pregnancy about them. My brother spoiled our gender announcement by announcing to FB that he was going to be an uncle to a little girl. My best friend keeps posting about her future god-daughter this and that... I get that they're excited, but I dunno... I feel like the big announcements should be left to me and DH.

Sorry, in a ranty mood today.

I would delete them, then when they ask explain that It was childish, and you guys will name your child what you want, not what they see fit.

Yes, exactly. I read part of that thread, I swear people are dumb! It gets tricky with FIL as severing all ties isn't an option. They live 12 hours by car away, so they aren't super close, but I still hear from them because of technology. I rarely post on facebook all because of crap like this, but wouldn't you know my luck? As for your baby, she looks adorable!

While I see the annoyance and the frustration considering you ask they stop.

I wouldn't make anything of it or look to far into it as things to come.

They are excited with the news and having a laugh. Perhaps not the laugh you would like. But I don't think its malicious.

I too would be annoyed, but the person I am would just ignore it and delete the post...moving on.

Yes jess, I did delete everything he and his sister posted, he can talk to DH about it if he wants an answer.

Yes jess, I did delete everything he and his sister posted, he can talk to DH about it if he wants an answer.

perfect! Totally agree...I don't do important in-law talks that should be done by my hubby.

i would be annoyed if this was on the actual announcement post!? totally innapropriate!

It was on the actual post. That just compounded the awkwardness as everyone above who commented can see this ongoing. I finally just deleted all things to do with names.

I would have probably joined in the joking about names, but that's just me.

I would be so mad! And probably go deleting all the comments and if they didn't take the hint they'd be deleted.
That said I got names I had picked out made fun of in person... in the end we chose one and didn't tell as soul! Because once the baby is born and you name it everyone just hasta enjoy it :thumbup: Will be doing the same this time not telling a name to ANYONE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->