Failed 1 hour GTT, have to do 3 hour

Elsa50501

Mommy of 2!
Reaction score
I did my 1 hour test at 28 +1. Just got the call that it was 151 instead of under 130. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the fact that I had my test at 3:45 pm after eating a normal lunch at 11:45 followed by an apple around 1 pm.

I'm pretty thin, eat healthily, haven't gained much weight this pregnancy. Totally normal pregnancy other than group B positive.

Now I have to take a half day tomorrow from work (3 hours in the morning). to go do the fasting glucose at 8 am (no food after 10 pm and no breakfast and then return to work and teach for the afternoon. :dohh:

I can't help but feel that it's my own fault for trying to to have to come in late to work by doing the end of the day test (as it was the first full week of school last week and I didn't want to take time from the kiddos during the beginning of the year.

Oh well, here's hoping it goes well and no more monitoring needed.

I'm sorry you have to do the three hour test. I hope everything will come back fine and no further monitoring is needed :hugs:

Some women fail the one hour and pass the three hour, I doubt it's because of you eating an apple before. I have always taken the gtt in the afternoon. Even if you're small there's always that chance though, and likely you'll be just fine even if you don't pass the three hour.

Mostly the test is just to see how your body processes sugars, so if you're healthy and eating fine you might have to make some modifications and likely testing sugars after meals to make sure you're not spiking too high and finding out what triggers the spikes. There are lots of ladies on the forums who've gone through with GD who would be able to help you out better, though. GL on the next test, I'm sure baby will be fine in the end anyway though :)

That really stinks, I'm sorry you have to go in for the 3 hour. I think you're right about the timing of the test and having eaten a regular lunch and snack skewing the results and that it's unlikely you truly have GD. I hope the test isn't too much on you and that returning to school after won't be an issue.

Thanks everyone. I'm just so bummed, lol. I'm sure everything will be fine no matter what. I am really just hoping it's not truely GD because I really can't waste my sick time. Every sick hour I use is one less I have to take as maternity leave when DD comes

Good luck with your 3 hour test Elsa! It is true that many women who fail the 1 hour test will pass the 3 hour. I wasn’t one of the lucky ones, failed and was diagnosed with GD. I was really upset at first, but have been careful with my diet and monitoring my blood sugar for the last month and so far so good, no insulin required. I have’t had to take any sick time, just have biweekly appointments to check baby’s growth and review my blood sugar monitoring log. Like you said, it’s not the end of the world if you do have GD. But I hope you pass the 3 hour test with flying colours and don’t need to worry about it at all!

I failed my one hour with both pregnancies but passes the 3 hour ones. If I have another baby Im going to just request the three hour one because I think the one hour one is a waste of time TBH.

Thanks, I know it's going to be what it is. I had the 3hr HTT yesterday. I'm thin with lower(not low just low healthy ) blood pressure so they had to get creative by the 4th blood draw- I had one from my wrist -OUCH and one from the back of my hand that just dripped and dripped for 5 minutes until the tube was full. The lady said probably because I wasn't allowed to drink water for the test. Luckily the other two draws we're at least from my arm. They said NOT to drink water because it would mess up the test and not drink any during the test.

I was definitely feeling the effects of that by 11:30 when I had to guzzel a water bottle and eat as I drove back to work to teach the next 4 hours, haha.

Edit to include: I won't have the test results for a few days if I failed or until my next appointment if I passed.

That sounds rough!
Good luck with the results :)

FXd you passed! Sorry it was a rough day, glad it's behind you and you made it through

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->