Failed first IVF....

BabyRed02

Reaction score
So I just found out today that my first IVF has failed. I am 28 years old and my husband is 37. I don't have kids and he has 2 but he has had a vasectomy about 10 years ago so IVF was the best route for us. I was originally scared about doing the IVF process and didn't want to initially but I went on and did it anyway. For the 9-10 days of injections and medication I didn't like but it started to get easier as the days went on. Towards the end of injections I started to bruise and become sore.

The egg retrieval went good they retrieved 12 eggs and 10 were mature. However, afterwards I was a wreck. I was so darn sore and hurting for 3 days. The first day any move hurt me. The second day I was sore and still bloated but it wasn't with ever movement just some. Well the next day after the retrieval they call me and tell me that only one was fertilized. 1 out of 10??? I was devastated and almost started crying when I spoke with the lady. I didn't know what went wrong. I asked the nurse why and she didn't know. So later on in the day I get another phone call from the nurse stating that my doctor wanted to give me the option of a fresh day 3 transfer. I asked what was the benefits and she said some embryos do better in the uterus. I asked her if this would be what's best and she said I don't know I can't say. So I said ok I will do it what do I need to do, this was a Saturday afternoon. They wanted me to start taking more injections and about 5 different medications. I was so close to saying never mind just forget it. But I didn't I went and got the stuff and started taking it that day. That progesterone in oil intramuscular injection had my booty bruised every day to the point where it hurt for me to sit down.

Well Monday gets here and I go in for my fresh transfer. My doctor does a trial run then the real thing. Everything with the transfer went well, no pain. Until 3 days later I start having a sharp pain in my stomach, really bad heart burns, shortness of breath, and cramps here and there. So I contacted my nurse and to see if this was normal. They wanted me to come in for an ultrasound. So I went in that day only to find out that my ovaries were the size of a fist when they should have been the size of a thumb. I was in pain for 3 additional days. Well of course I still had some days to wait for the HCG test. Well now that I have took that test and I had a negative number I don't know what to do. With so much pain and discomfort that I went through and no frozen embryos I don't want to do IVF again!

What should I do???

Ugh so hurt and disappointed and can't stop crying!!!

So sorry for your failed cycle!! I've been there several times. You really don't have many options at this point. Your husband could try for reversal surgery which is rarely successful after that many years and many still need ivf. But it's an option. Did your clinic do icsi? Have your doctor go through the cycle too to bottom. Other options include iui with donor sperm if you do not want to go through another ivf cycle. Discuss with your doctor and figure out what would work for you. Ivf is not an easy process!!

I'm so sorry. I just went through a failed IVF cycle as well and it is so tough. I agree you need answers on why they didn't fertilize. If you didn't do ICSI that sounds like the definite next step. Honestly it all depends on what you are willing to go through again.

I couldn't tell from your discriptions exactly but you might have had a mild case of OHSS which they could definetly try to prevent next time from stimulating you differently. So it could turn out completely differently. But I agree it all sucks. There's no way of knowing if the next time will work. You have to decide what's worse: not having a child or going through the process again with no guarantees and a possible chance at a baby. Or trying the reversal surgery for hubby. Only you and your husband can decide that.

I'm so sorry though. Hugs.

MoBaby,

You are right the reversal is very likely that it will happen. And yes we used ICSI. That's why I was so shocked. It's very depressing. I feel like I have been defeated! I have never felt this way before ever!

I'd be shocked to since you did ICSI. Have you had your follow up appointment yet. Mine isn't until this coming week but I have a ton of questions for my doctors. You definetly need to ask yours a ton more of what happened and why. They owe you answers.

BronteForever,

Yes we did ISCI this time around. And my doctor never said I had OHSS matter of fact he never even gave me an explanation of why I was getting those pains other than my ovaries being extra large smh. All he did was tell me to take Tylenol. At this point in time I'm not sure what is worse. With me not wanting to do it from the start, now it's even harder for me to want to do it again especially with all the negatives that I have experienced. I'm just so sad and don't know what to do and still wondering how this happened!

BronteForever,

I asked my doctor when it was time for my transfer and he had no answers for me!! I wanted to cuss him out right then and there! I haven't scheduled a sit down with the Doctor yet and not sure if I want to because he could barely give me answers before!

Well the size of your ovaries is standard from stimulation meds. Mine were the size of oranges at retrieval. What I read before some get to grapefruit size so we should consider ourselves slightly lucky. I had a bit of discomfort for sure. But the shortness of breath was what made me suggest it might have been OHSS for you. If you had it though it was super mild and you didn't really need anything for it. If it's more severe you'd notice because you'd have looked 9 months pregnant and had trouble breathing at all.

Unfortunately that's part of the IVF process for most. I know it sucks. Especially to have nothing to show for it. I had 9 fertilize and didn't even get to transfer 1. It sucks so much and is so frustrating.

I've been in shock as well. I keep telling myself the first one is usually just a test to see how everything goes but it is such an expensive and emotionally jarring test.

Oh and I cussed my doctors out all over my journal on here. Anger is phase 2 of the 5 stages of grief. I also think I will be there for awhile with you. You need a sit down with them. They owe you more answers.

Hi
Just to let you know your not alone, I have just had my first ivf with icsi and it failed why-they don't know. I have 1 frozen so will try that in September, but scared it will be the same result as this. I am 29 my HS 33 me low amh levels and him slow motility. I guess its a waiting game.

Good luck and don't give up im surely not.

Hi, ladies! I'm so sorry we all face failures :cry: We had 3 of them. 1 round clomid and 2 fresh cycles with own egg. That was heartbreak and miserable balancing between "what's going to happen next??" thoughts. Unfortunately no one knows what actually causes those failures. Though among the explanations are, poor quality of the embryo or genetic defects in the embryos. (Unfortunately, it cannot always be diagnosed). Or the presence of an unreceptive endometrium. It's far more important how our REs react on the results and what changes do make into treatment plans for further success. Wish all to come out of these issues as soon as possible :hugs:

I am sorry it didn't work. But unfortunately there are no clinics that have 100% success rates, the best in vitro clinics get approx. only 55%. Keep my fingers crossed for a positive outcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->