failed glucose screening test.

AmandaBanana

Reaction score
What does this mean for me exactly?
I had my blood taken. Drank the drink. Had blood again at 1 hour. And blood taken again at 2 hours.

And I failed it.
I don't know what this means for me? Do I have diabetes? Will I?
I've never had an issue with sugar so I'm very confused. I don't even eat sweets!

Hi I am 33 weeks pregnant and presented sugar in my urine around 25 weeks. I sugar monitored for 2 weeks (which my hospital does after failing) and I had high readings a lot. It was after this 2 week testing that I was diagnosed with GD.

Most cases can be controlled by diet alone ... unfortunately not mine as it was my overnight before good rwading that were bad.

However it is now controlled and outta the pregnancy complications list I think it is the one that is easily managed.

Dw just cos you failed the first test doesn't mean u have it. It isn't always down to sugar consumption it can be carbs or it can just be the pregnancy hormone blocking it all working properly xx

It's likely you have gestational diabetes, which is just from pregnancy hormones. It's completely random and can affect any woman. Like previous poster said it can be controlled by switching your diet up.

Yep what other posters are saying, also you can have the perfect diet and be the "perfect" weight and still get GD...there's so many factors, age, race, family history...

I failed the 2 hour test as well, and they diagnosed me with the GD, but I also thought I was eating healthy. I learned that for instance pasta is a healthier choice than rice? So sometimes it's things like that, it took me a week to adjust to the diet, but now my levels are finally better. I am taking hormones in addition to already having them, plus I am over 30, and also have a family history, so odds were stacked against me. It might be the combo for you too. As others said it's usually controlled by diet, and goes away a few weeks after birth. The only real risk I can gather is a bigger baby, but I am also high risk for premature labor for other reasons, so am not too concerned. There are risks of me developing it as well, but I plan to breastfeed which helps with that, and I'll keep close to the diet. Good luck and there are a lot of threads about GD in the gestational complications forum if you want to find out more.

I fount out last week I have GD and they want me to control by fuet and ill be honest I'll end up on insulin x

I'm "insulin dependent" GD, due to the high amounts I have to inject daily. I've found it frustrating, but mine is not a typical case. It's usually well controlled with diet, but there is no way to prevent it from happening again. They'll monitor you more closely (for example, I went from regular OB checks on a normal schedule, to biophysical profiles every single week. skipped right over two week appointments), to make sure baby isn't getting overly large. A lot of GD cases do mean early induction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->