Failed ICSI - Where to go from here

Neener

Reaction score
Hi ladies - looking for advice and success stories. Below is our story. Any advice appreciated.

Me - 36 DH - 49 (low motility)
Jan 2015 - TTC naturally for 6 months then started having irregular cycles - never received a positive OPK
Saw RE checked hormone levels - ruled out PCOS although I do get cysts from time to time. Normal FSH and thyroid levels. First time AMH tested was .69 second test 1.92. Tested for low vitamin D after 4 month of supplements now at normal level. AFC = 8-9
June 2016 hysteroscopy to clear lining and check for fibroids - everything normal
July 2016 - failed IUI with clomid and trigger shot
Aug 2016 - failed IUI - no clomid but did use trigger
Nov 2016 - 1st failed IVF - 300 gonal f and 150 menopur for 13 days - 6 days of cetroide. 7 follicles - sizes: 2 @ 21, 16, 15, 2 @ 14, 12.5. E2 at 1440 day of trigger.
ER: 5 retrieved, only 1 mature, failed to fertilize with ICSI.

It seems like I had a slow response to stims and my eggs never reached full maturity despite being on high doses of stims. Has anyone experienced this? Did you try a different protocol with better results?

Thanks for reading.

Sorry it didn't work. Have you heard of imsi? That's what worked for us for hubbys dna framers sperm. Also I believe menapour is better than gonal f. Why were you on both?
I was on a high dose, 600 I think and only got 12.
Sorry I don't know what else to say it's hard when and embryo doesn't emplant but to not get that chance is really unfair. Sending you hugs x

Sorry it didn't work. Have you heard of imsi? That's what worked for us for hubbys dna framers sperm. Also I believe menapour is better than gonal f. Why were you on both?
I was on a high dose, 600 I think and only got 12.
Sorry I don't know what else to say it's hard when and embryo doesn't emplant but to not get that chance is really unfair. Sending you hugs x

Did your IMSI work first time? My OH has 52% fragmentation and have had 3 MMCs (and one DD before that). How bad is your OH's fragmentation?

Just read your signature. Wow congrats!!!

Yes first Imsi git twin girls who are nearly 2 and half and had a FET with one of my two frozen from that cycle a couple of weeks ago and currently 4 weeks and 2 days pg.

I can't remember exactly but something like 32% of his sperm had bad dna. Worth the test I think as it was about £500 maybe worth asking your doctor x

Yes first Imsi git twin girls who are nearly 2 and half and had a FET with one of my two frozen from that cycle a couple of weeks ago and currently 4 weeks and 2 days pg.

I can't remember exactly but something like 32% of his sperm had bad dna. Worth the test I think as it was about £500 maybe worth asking your doctor x

Congrats on your pregnancy!!!

My OH has had the DNA fragmentation test 3 times

First and second test - 44-%
Third test - after taking anti oxidants - 52%

I am considering ICSI with IMSI with CGH but as his fragmentation is bad worried it won't work :(

But they should be able to choose sperms with the right DNA to create a live birth. Thats what imsi is for I think. Honestly that was what worked for us obviously. Speak to them and see what they say. Where are you?

PHP:
But they should be able to choose sperms with the right DNA to create a live birth. Thats what imsi is for I think. Honestly that was what worked for us obviously. Speak to them and see what they say. Where are you?

I am in London. After the 3rd MMC paid for private tests at the Lister and also had tests on the NhS. We know for sure that two of the MMCs were due to chromosomal issues. First one we don't know.

I have slightly elevated Nk cells and a small septum. But they can't have caused the chromosome issues. DD was born after OH was off methotrexate (that's what he takes for a medical condition) for a year. He then took it for 3 more years and fragmentation of 52% basically makes him infertile (or in our case we conceive and miscarry).

Where did you have IMSI? Thing is if yours was 32% that's almost within range. We were told at a lister if get ours down to 25% likely to conceive and not have an MMC naturally.

Good luck with this pregnancy :)

With IMSI they can't test the actual DNA but can magnify the sperm thousands of times and select the one without visible defects. My OH has mild fragmentation to 30% of his sperm and 22% with severe fragmentation. Apparently the mild to severe ratio being high is the worst thing because the mildly fragmented fertilise the egg and lead to MCs. Don't know if IMSI would spot them.

I am at lister too!!! It's so good there. First 3 of my rounds were elsewhere and they were rubbish. Who is your consultant? Maybe ask about IMSI if I'm honest I've forgotten all the details about it as my imsi was over 3 years ago x

I recently had ICSI, I did 21 days down reg with bureselin then stunned with bureselin and menopur for 14 days. Had around 24 follies but they got 9 out , only six were mature enough. Each egg had a sperm inserted (ICSI) but none fertilised!

The clinic said both the egg and sperm were good so they don't know why it happened. We're due to try again on the new year. Won't be doing the down ref next time tho.

I'm gonna google imsi now as I don't know what that is.

It's so frustrating isn't it!!

For me IMSI is a winner. 4 rounds of icsi and 2 embies in each time and nothing not even a frostie. Then 1 imsi, twin girls and 2 frosties .....defrosted 1 and a perfect 100% survived 5bb frostie back in and currently 4 weeks and 2 days pg.

Essjay I'm sorry you didn't get to even gave a transfer. X

For me IMSI is a winner. 4 rounds of icsi and 2 embies in each time and nothing not even a frostie. Then 1 imsi, twin girls and 2 frosties .....defrosted 1 and a perfect 100% survived 5bb frostie back in and currently 4 weeks and 2 days pg.

Essjay I'm sorry you didn't get to even gave a transfer. X

What a coincidence! I had all my tests with Dr Yau Thum, who said that if fragmentation went under 30% we could try naturally. But of course if went from 44% to 52% instead with anti oxidants and with OH stopping his medication.

We have an appointment with an embryologist to discuss IMSI and don't have a consultant for it yet. Who did yours? I am guessing we would go back to Dr Thum for the IMSI - I am going to make an appointment today actually (although a bit worried it won't work with such high fragmentation).

So mine was a bit complicated as in I had an external consultant and collection and transfer at lister for my 4th and 5th round. When the 4th didn't work I met with Abdullah and he said do tests for dna frag and they said yes do imsi so then stayed with my external consultant and had 5th go which was imsi. Then on this go it was easy no meds and transfer with Dr thumb! Would you believe it. Only saw him for initial consultation then for FET he also do two friends of mine who also have twins lol. Small world. I actually live 1.5 hours away from the hospital so drive in x

Thanks for your responses, Ladies. I hadn't heard of IMSI before. I'll ask my Dr. about it next time I see her. I don't think DH has any fragmentation issues but not sure how detailed of an SA they did for him. All they told us was he had motility issues. As for the protocol, Dr. said that's the protocol they try with most women - a combo of menopur and gonal f. Said next time we are going to try a flare protocol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"