failed ist ivf cycle

Mrs T

Reaction score
Today was ment to be my egg transfer day but the only egg that fertilised didnt make it overnight. Am ok about it, I feel its better to know than have a long 2ww of hope with only failure at the end of it!
Does anyone know if I'll be able to start ivf again on my next cycle? I was just on folical stimulation drugs for this cycle, maybe the dr will advise a stronger or different couse of drugs next time. I've to see my dr tomorrow to discuss whats next.
I want to keep going till I get my :bfp:

I don't know what to say but I didn't want to read and run. Lots of :hug:

I'm sorry to hear your bad news. :hug:

My FS told me that I had to let my ovaries recover for at least 3 menstrual cycles before being able to try again, as they've taken quite a battering from hormones and then the actual physical follicle aspiration is quite hard on the ovaries too. I don't know if that advice changes due to number of eggs collected or not.

Good luck for your doctor's appointment tomorrow ...

:hug:

I'm sorry to hear your bad news. :hug:

My FS told me that I had to let my ovaries recover for at least 3 menstrual cycles before being able to try again, as they've taken quite a battering from hormones and then the actual physical follicle aspiration is quite hard on the ovaries too. I don't know if that advice changes due to number of eggs collected or not.

Good luck for your doctor's appointment tomorrow ...

thank you.
I never thought about my ovaries healing after the aspiration, I was just thinking it would be ok to jump right into a 2nd cycle because I wasnt on down regulation drugs. I guess I need to talk to my DR..... wish I counld find out today!
you has such a good knowlege of all this.... thank you

Aww, just wanted to send you :hug:

Let us know how your apt goes tomorrow.

Hope you can try again soon! :hugs:

I'm sorry, Sweetie.

Whether your doctor will let you jump into another cycle right away will depend on how your doctor feels about this as well as if the doctor feels your body could take it again. Your body goes through a lot more than you feel.

In my case, my doctor let me start another cycle right away. I let he know I had the momentum behind me and didn't want to lose it. I was on 10IU of Lupron for ten days, followed by 5IU of Lupron, 75IU of Menopur, and between 75 and 150IU of Follistim (how much depended on the day), until I had the trigger shot of HCG. The first time around I was on 125IU of Follistim the entire time, and the HCG was 5,000IU. The second time the Follistim changed and the HCG was 10,000. The benefit to the second cycle is we learned how my specific body responded to the drugs in the end, and we got 25 eggs!! It was hard, and OMG I was SORE after the second retrieval, far worse than the second.

If you have the momentum behind you and your body can take it, your doctor might let you. Don't be surprised or feel put off if you're told to wait a couple months though. Really, many doctors absolutely won't do back-to-back cycles under any circumstances. If your doctor won't, DON'T change doctors. This one knows your body now.

Awww so sorry Mrs T! :hugs:

Here's to your second cycle, whenever you are allowed to give it another try, may this next one be the lucky one!!

I'm so sorry hun :cry: I can't imagine the disapointment of not being able to have a go at transfer.

What protocol were you on last time? You could ask about a flare or antagonist cycle which are REALLY quick cycles...only about 2 weeks from 1st jab to transfer and you generally get better quality eggs and these cycles are often used on poor responders.

Most clinics require a months break in-between stims to give your body and mind a break.

Take care and be kind to yourself :hugs:

I'm sorry, Sweetie.

Whether your doctor will let you jump into another cycle right away will depend on how your doctor feels about this as well as if the doctor feels your body could take it again. Your body goes through a lot more than you feel.

In my case, my doctor let me start another cycle right away. I let he know I had the momentum behind me and didn't want to lose it. I was on 10IU of Lupron for ten days, followed by 5IU of Lupron, 75IU of Menopur, and between 75 and 150IU of Follistim (how much depended on the day), until I had the trigger shot of HCG. The first time around I was on 125IU of Follistim the entire time, and the HCG was 5,000IU. The second time the Follistim changed and the HCG was 10,000. The benefit to the second cycle is we learned how my specific body responded to the drugs in the end, and we got 25 eggs!! It was hard, and OMG I was SORE after the second retrieval, far worse than the second.

If you have the momentum behind you and your body can take it, your doctor might let you. Don't be surprised or feel put off if you're told to wait a couple months though. Really, many doctors absolutely won't do back-to-back cycles under any circumstances. If your doctor won't, DON'T change doctors. This one knows your body now.

Thank you for your ivf experence, I take it that yor 2nd time around worked???
I have a huge amount of momentum, just want to keep going. We live overseas and I've come to London just for the ivf, I'd feel deflatted flying back empty handed ( or should I say empty uterus!!).
I'll find out today, thanks again

I'm so sorry hun :cry: I can't imagine the disapointment of not being able to have a go at transfer.

What protocol were you on last time? You could ask about a flare or antagonist cycle which are REALLY quick cycles...only about 2 weeks from 1st jab to transfer and you generally get better quality eggs and these cycles are often used on poor responders.

Most clinics require a months break in-between stims to give your body and mind a break.

Take care and be kind to yourself :hugs:

I was on folical stimulation drugs from cd3 untill cd 11, so I wasnt on drugs all that long. Well I guess I'll have to wait and find out what my dr has to say today. Thanks for the advise.

I think they like you to rest for awhile, as FJL said. I think some say to give your body a chance to rest for a cycle, then you can continue. It's different if you have frozies, I think. You just have to go through the whole collection again.

They say that if a first cycle fails then they are better prepared for the second. Not exactly a consolation, I know, but at least you are on the right track, now.

My first ivf cycle was cancelled the day before retrieval due to low response. My doctor said I can start again in a week when I get my next period, but I might wait another month. My body can't take this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->