• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Failed my 1 hour glucose test :(

nsmomtobe

Reaction score
Hello!! Today I took my 1 hour glucose test and by the time I got home they called to say my levels came back high and I would have to take a 2 hour test on Friday. My question is, do you think what I ate prior to my test today affected it, I had a clementine and a banana..as well as a large tea with milk and sweetener. Lastnight I also didn't have supper I actually had a bowl of frozen yogurt :(

Lots of people fail the one hour test, and then pass the two hour test. I failed my one hour test, and then passed the two hour one with flying colors. So, at this point, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Yes, there's a chance you'll fail the second test but - don't worry about it unless you know you have to!

It could be.. I think the next test (the 2 hour one) is a fasting glucose screen, so this will help you see if it was partially due to what you ate. I have mine next week! I go to nursing school and today at the hospital they were giving free glucose finger pricks to see what your sugar level was.. I had just eaten 5 cookies lol my level was only 132, so it wasn't too bad, we will see next week though!

I did not know they did a 1 hour one ive always had 2 hour ones :)

I failed my 1hr one (needed 7.9, got 8.0!) but went on to have all results in 2hr fasting test come back normal. I hadn't eaten anything for about 4hrs before my 1hr test (except a slice of cheese) so don't know what happened there. My doc tells me that they are now removing the 1hr test and all pregnant women are going to have to do the fasting 2hr test because the 1hr is just not very accurate.

Try not to worry. I failed the 1 hour and passed the 2 hour. I didn't find it fun at all though. I seriously thought I was going to be sick and they wouldn't let me outside to get some fresh air. I didn't know what to do with myself - I kept standing up, then sitting down. Luckily it passed. The thought of being sick and having to do it again another day was not fun!

I'm sure you'll be OK.

When I saw the consultant this week I was talking about the GTT. In the UK people generally have a fasting 3 hour test where you drink the sugary drink and then get bloods tested at 1 hour, 2 hour and 3 hour intervals (I believe). Where I live in the UK we have to eat a certain amount of carbs (i.e. a lice of bread, an apple, a yoghurt and a pear) and then have bloods taken 2 hours later. I asked him why I didn't have to do the 3 hour one as surely that is more accurate and I keep being asked if I've taken it as I have some GD markers in my symptoms. He actually said they only ever really look at the 2 hour result as that is the most accurate, so I wouldn't worry too much about the 1 hour test just yet. xx

I failed the one hour and passed the 2 hr. I've also heard the one hour isn't very accurate, I wish they would just skip it then and save us the worry. And drinking that glucola, that stuff is nast!

I have my 1hr test at Noon and am somewhat expecting to fail... EVERYONE I know has failed the 1hr test.... about half have gone on to pass the extended one and about half ended up with GD.

But it's weird that I don't know anyone that passed the first time and that includes several young, healthy women.

I ate an egg and cheese sandwich about 2 hrs before my 1 hr test and passed easily. I think the fat and protein helped stabilize the blood sugars.

I called back today and asked what my score was, and was told it was 7.8 - is that really high????

I called back today and asked what my score was, and was told it was 7.8 - is that really high????

Don't think that's high at all. In fact, if you were here, you probably would have passed. My doc said I needed 7.9 or below - I had 8.0!!

I think I was high 7's my first test and 'failed' I had OJ, 2 peaches, yougurt and granola bar all before! Plus the drink they give you....for the 2hr one I did I had to 'fast' and I passed with 'flying colors'! So try not to stress. I think that everyone should 'fast' before doing the 1hr test as clearly what you eat before hand does affect it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"