Failed Newborn Screening

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by MrsKeene, Apr 11, 2009.

1. MrsKeene

MrsKeene Mama To Princess & Prince

My son failed his newborn screening and is having to have his blood tests repeated. He is a whole month old and I was just notifed! He goes for an appt on Tuesday to have his blood work redone. I am extremely upset because no one can tell me what it is he tested positive for and I won't know until the results from this coming up tuesday come back. All I have been told is that he failed the screening test and needs re-testing. I've read up on the diseases that it screens for and the thought of him having one is terrifying! The nurse did tell me that they can test positive at birth but after re-testing can be fine. Has anybody else had their little one fail the first newborn screening but pass the re-testing? I can do nothing but worry about my sweet little son now:cry:, he seems perfectly happy and healthy. He sleeps, eats, poops, rarely crys, he is the perfect baby. I am hoping and praying its nothing and he passes these new tests. Just wondering if anyone else has gone through this?

2. caggimedicine

caggimedicine Mummy to Harry

I'm sorry I can't help/give any advice. I know it's almost impossible to do, but try not to worry TOO much and just wait to see what happens on Tuesday. Your son is obviously a happy healthy little boy - just concentrate on that fact for now. Good luck and let us know how you get on on Tuesday. I hope someone else on here can help. xx

3. clairebear

clairebear Mummy to 2 handsome boys.

have no advie hun but wanted to give u :hug: x

4. xXDonnaXx

xXDonnaXx Well-Known Member

I don't have any advice.

Try not too worry hun. :hugs: x x x

5. bex

bex Our little princess

Is it the heel prick test? I'm sure that rafwife's litlte girl Niamh failed hers at first but when she was retested she was fine. PM her hun, she wouldn't mind you asking and am sure she would be more than happy to help if she can. Good luck x

6. MrsKeene

MrsKeene Mama To Princess & Prince

Yeah it was his heel prick test when he was first born, i'll pm her and ask. Thank you so much for all the well wishes!

7. x-li-x

x-li-x Me & Hubby + 3 :)

i have no advice but just want to say hope all is well sure everything will be fine try not to worry xx

8. mandy81

mandy81 Well-Known Member

Hope everything is ok hun. :hugs: