• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Failed the one hour gestational diabetes test :(

jennifer.lee

Reaction score
I'm so upset. I already have so many pregnancy complications, and I was really counting on catching a break with SOMETHING. They said my level was at 181, and it shouldn't be over 150. *sigh*

I'm taking the three hour test in the morning, so here's hoping for the best!

Do many people fail the one hour test yet not have gestational diabetes when the three hour results come in?

EDIT: Oh, and what's involved in the three hour test? Is it basically just like the first yet with three separate times of blood work?

I failed the one hour test, but passed the 3 hour with flying colors. Good luck! :)

Does anybody remember what their levels were? The nurse said it was supposed to be 150 and below, and mine was 180.

Does anybody remember what their levels were? The nurse said it was supposed to be 150 and below, and mine was 180.

I think mine was 147. The nurse at my OB office said anything 130 or above was a fail.

Did you eat before your test? I was told I could and I'm pretty sure that is why I failed. I fasted for 12 hours before the 3 hour test and was even told no water after midnight.

The 3 hour test sucked, I won't lie.. I drank the orange drink and then they gave me a timer and I had to go back for another blood draw on the hour for the next 3 hours..

I think mine was 147. The nurse at my OB office said anything 130 or above was a fail.

Did you eat before your test? I was told I could and I'm pretty sure that is why I failed. I fasted for 12 hours before the 3 hour test and was even told no water after midnight.

The 3 hour test sucked, I won't lie.. I drank the orange drink and then they gave me a timer and I had to go back for another blood draw on the hour for the next 3 hours..

Gosh, my 180 seems so high now. :(

No, I was told no food or drink after midnight, which is the same thing they told me with this test. I think I'll be okay with the test. It's the results I'm not looking forward to. I hope they tell me what they are before I leave tomorrow. I'm taking the test at my local hospital, and they have to send the results to my doctor. I'm hoping since this is the three hour test, though, they'll tell me there.

I failed the one hour with a 131, but passed the 3 hour with flying colors. I know there are a lot of women who fail the one hour and pass the three hour. The three hour test does suck- the fasting is what killed me- nothing to eat after dinner the night before and could not eat until after the end of the test (lunchtime).

Gosh, my 180 seems so high now. :(

Don't worry hun...it is above average but the numbers aren't tragic! I had the same during the 2 hour test and then took the 3 hour test and had 180 - 170 - and 70something...while I did fail the test my blood sugar is 100% in control through diet alone! I haven't had a reading above 100 since then :)

I'm sorry you're having a tough time with complications, but with monitoring and a few tweaks to your diet your numbers will go back to normal in a matter of days...they're not high enough to be considered "out of control" based on what my endocrinologist said. Not to mention that it could be a one time thing and there's a chance that you'll pass the three hour test :hugs:

I don't know how the tests are done there, but I got blood drawn 4 times during the three hour test...once to test my fasting levels and then once every hour.

I don't have anything to add about the test, as I think everyone else pretty much covered it but I wanted to let you know about my diabetes so you can have an extreme case to compare it to.. I'm don't just have GD, but diabetes (they still call it GD when you are pregnant, though) and at 10 weeks gestation my OB changed my diet because my BGL's were running between 250 - 300 on 1000mgs of metformin 2xdaily. In only 6 weeks I got my numbers down and they had to add insulin to get my fasting number down but after another 2 weeks my numbers were so low that I could almost come off the metformin just from changing my diet alone. I am now running between 70 - 120.

180 after drinking that SUPER SUGAR drink (fasting or not) is not very high at all even though it is a fail. I hope you pass but even if you do fail the 3 hour test you should have NO problem at all getting your BGL's down and keeping them there. You might only have to take out sugar and white bread/rice/pasta and adding whole grains. I imagine you will also be able to tolerate higher carb levels in your meals then some would. I can't go over 40g carbs in a single meal but you should have no problem getting more in then that and being just fine. Only time will tell though.

I know it seems like the end of the world when you are faced with this, and I'm not saying that it is easy, but it and the complications that go with GD will be completely manageable within a week or two if you do fail. You also have a huge support group on this forum of many with GD who can give you helpful tips if that time comes.

Either way, good luck.

I failed my three hour. First was 250 second was 235 and third hour was 97 but my fasting was 110. So now i am on two insulins. One at night and another i take at each meal. Its not nearly as bad as i thought it would be! Now that i am careful about when and how much i eat i can normally stay in good levels :) i am betting u pass tomorrow with flying colors!

Thanks for the kind words, everybody! I will come back tomorrow and reply in more detail, but I'm just feeling kind of bummed right now and think it might be time to just go to bed.

Thank you all for helping me, though! It means a lot to have your advice and support! I'll check in tomorrow and let you know how it goes!

Will be thinking of u.... I have to take my first test in three days and im sooooo nervous- im addicted to sugar and have been trying really hard- if i fail-- i dont know how i will manage. Know that u are not alone with this fear- it sucks :(

I hope it went well.
With my first I failed the 1 hour test but passed the 3

I got my results today!

It turns out all my worrying and stressing was for nothing! I passed the second test and don't have gestational diabetes! I'm so happy and excited!

I got my results today!

It turns out all my worrying and stressing was for nothing! I passed the second test and don't have gestational diabetes! I'm so happy and excited!

Yay! Congrats!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"