Fake tan?!?

I wondered this as well, as I tend to use that slightly tinted "holiday skin" stuff.

I haven't found anything that says you shouldn't, but I'm going to keep an eye on this thread just in case....

I put some one the other day and didn't think anything off it and it's only when I read that you skin absorbs more stuff when pregnant I wondered.

I was going to ask this. I know I live in Florida but I HATE the beach. It breaks my skin out and makes it dry. I was hoping for a fake tan spray. ;)

I was wondering this also. I never wear fake tan but have a gala dinner next Friday and I didn't want to look like a ghost :) Its bad enough trying to hide my bump (/bloat) under my dress!

I found this on a web site called askbaby.com

*There are a huge variety of self tanning products available on the market ranging from those that provide instant colour to those that build colour gradually over several days. Although they are fantastic for giving you a bit of a 'glow' when you don't have the opportunity (or weather) to get a real tan, it can be difficult to know whether self tans are safe to use during pregnancy.

At a time when you become particularly conscious of the chemicals you are putting in and on your body, using a colour-altering substance can seem quite extreme. However, current NHS guidelines suggest that with sensible use the majority of self tanning products are safe to use throughout pregnancy and can in fact be a better alternative to spending time sunbathing or using a sun bed. However, as the widespread use of self tanning products is a relatively recent phenomenon there is no long term research into their actual effects during pregnancy.

It is thought that most self tans only penetrate your outermost layer of skin and so are not absorbed into your body - which is why the colour they produce fades after a couple of days. The active ingredient used to give you a darker colouring is called DHA (dihydroxyacetone) - it reacts with the dead skin cells on your body to produce a brown (or orange if you are unlucky!) pigment. Once these skin cells are shed, the colour is too.

However, one of the main risk factors with self tans (aside from streaking) is that they will cause an allergic reaction. This is a particular risk during pregnancy as your skin becomes a lot more sensitive to chemical substances because of all of the hormonal changes your body is going through. For this reason you should always do a patch test before covering your body.

If you are using a fake tan for the first time or are planning to have a spray tan in a salon, it is best to check with your doctor for current recommendations. Additionally, you should always check the packaging of the self tan product for any pregnancy related guidelines before you apply it - if you are unsure of its suitability contact the manufacturer.*

But then I found this just after on the NHS website ...

*Fake tanning lotions and sprays are a popular and safer alternative to spending time in the sun to get a tan.

The active ingredient in fake tan is Dihydroxyacetone (DHA). It is a non-toxic substance that reacts with cells in the outermost layer of the skin and produces a brown pigment (colour) called melanoidin. The outer skin cells are already dead, and are shed as the skin constantly renews itself. This is why fake tan needs to be regularly re-applied to maintain the colour. The DHA doesn't go beyond the outer layer of skin and therefore isn't absorbed into the body.

Although there are no known dangers of using tanning lotions, they can sometimes cause an allergic reaction. For this reason, it's advisable not to use fake tan during pregnancy, as changes in hormone levels can make the skin more sensitive than normal. If you do use fake tan, always test the product on a small area of skin first to see if you have a reaction.*

I dont know if those articles will help answer your worries tho!!

Personally I have been tanning during this pregnancy but i haven't used the sprays as they tend to get breathed in. I use st tropez or xen and they have bene fine. Baby is fine too :) x

i know im not very far on in my pregnancy, but ive also been using fake tan. its bad enough giving up alcohal never mind fake tan aswell :hissy: he he he

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->