False Positive BPT?

TTC Wife

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum. :happydance::happydance:

So I got my last AF on 22nd October . I have had a 26 day cycle for about 15 years; with 14 day luteal phase. (The Only time i ever had a short cycle, I ovulated on Day 9, which was when i got pregnant with my DD. I got a positive test on a cheapie on CD 22).

So I ovulated on CD8 (29th october) this cycle; i wasn't temping. I just got tired of temping and just decided to observed my body (CP, EWCM+ test strips).
I started feeling wonky on Monday, like I was coming down with a flu.

Went to the doc. He ordered some tests and included a BPT. The test came back positive. I was quite surprised because I had AF less than 2 weeks ago.

So he ordered pelvic scan and transvaginal scan. Both scans came up empty. Nothing, nada, zilch. Also no tumors/mass anywhere.

Now, I'm very confused. Doc says to repeat scan in 2 weeks; he doesn't want to do a beta-hcg.

How am I to endure this extra 2 week wait.:cry::nope::wacko:

Please i need help! Anyone being in this situation before?

If you ovulated 4 days ago, it'd be super surprising to get a positive anything at this point. o_O And if you actually got pregnant last cycle and just thought you had a period, there would be something in your uterus by now. I think your doc is mistaken to not do a beta hcg because that would give some kind of idea how far along you actually are. (considering you typically can't see anything in the womb until hcg hits a certain point anyhow) That being said, a scan in 2 weeks will reveal the answer anyways.

If you're in the US I'd be questioning the wisdom of doing a scan over a beta test, because guess which one is more expensive? :wacko:

Hi. Thanks for your response.

I don't live in US. I have free healthcare (up to a certain limit).

The doc ordered the scans to eliminate ectopic pregnancy. He said when embryo grows in fallopian tube, it's not unusual to get a 'period'.
He also thinks my last AF wasn't an actual AF, but bleeding while pregnant.

Doctors could be so nonchalant. I'm screaming inside, but he's telling me to calm down, I'll know better in 2 weeks!! 2 whole weeks! sooo annoying.

I feel your pain! Waiting two weeks is so hard but especially when there is something going on other than the norm. I am currently waiting to get into my dr. and the soonest they can see me is two weeks from now. It's agonizing! I am 10 days late with 4 BFN and no sign of AF other than cramping that is super mild and keeps coming and going. I have no clue what's happening with my body and I just want to see the Dr. today! Hang in there.

As the first replier said, it's kind of weird because if you're only 4DPO then would you be getting positive bloods yet, don't know... But if last months "AF" was actually bleeding while pregnant, for sure you would've seen something on the scans by now. I would say going by the scans that that can't possibly have been bleeding during pregnancy and must've been AF, but that you possibly could be pregnant now due to the blood result?

Were you given any sort of beta numbers with the initial bpt? Or did he just tell you it was positive? I'd call and ask a few more questions just for your own piece of mind. If the numbers were high enough and your last period was bleeding while pregnant it very well could be ectopic. Definitely call and get more information on those blood results!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->