Family vegetarian meals

superfrizbee

Love my princess & prince
Reaction score
Hi,

In our house come dinner time we always have a meat or fish dish, however I want to start having at least one vegetarian meal a week. We cook from scratch and like food with a lot of flavour or interest (we tone down the kids' food a bit though). I already cook with lentils, beans, chickpeas etc depending on the meal I'm making, but I don't particularly want them as a staple.

What veggie meals does your family enjoy for dinner?

I was thinking falafel and hallumi burger but I'm not sure what the kids will make of it. They used to love falafel but not so much now. I just want to think of something we'll all enjoy that's more exciting than a margarita pizza!

Also quorn... I used to like it as a child but haven't tried it in a while. Are some types better than others? I.e. mince vs sausages?

Would they eat vegetable fajita? I have a terrible time in my house because I'm veggie but my husband and daughter are not. When I try to make veggie meals they complain because we all like different vegetables - it's so annoying. I saw a TV programme where they made a lentil bolognaise, but I've never cooked with lentils so I'm a bit scared. I shall follow this thread with interest!

I'm also a vegetarian but my husband and 3 year old are not so we have a lot of vegi meals. Things like vegi sausage casserole, vegi chilli, pasta bake, stuffed sweet potatoes.The beauty with these is you can add whatever veg you fancy,

im interested in other ideas though as im not very inventive and always stick to similar meals. I've never tried making vegi burgers from scratch but keep meaning to give it a go.

I usually do vegi meals maybe 5/7 days and then cook separate for the other days so my hubby and son have some meat then. Sometimes I will also do 2 slightly different versions. For example a casserole but 2 separate pans. so the veg and sauce is the same and you only need to add the sausages into each pan.

Another lone veggie in this house, although my hubby is pretty good at eating veggie meals, the kids however are hard work!

I make a veggie Bolognaise with veggies diced really small and red lentils.

Veg lasagne or canelloni

Jamie Oliver has a good veg chilli recipe with sweet potatoes in.

Veg korma (the only curry the kids will eat) with chickpeas

Pasta with a tomato sauce and peppers and olives.

Veg fried rice with egg or veg stir fry with noodles

Veg risotto

Greek platter - pitta, hummus, falafel, olives, cous cous, salad bits

Veggie nachos are a big hit with us -lots of different beans, onion, garlic, tomatoes, chilli (to taste) lots of chopped veg all cooked together, grill lightly salted tortilla chips till slightly toasted and then melt on some grated cheese. Top with the bean/veggie mix, tomato salsa, guacamole and sour cream (although I normally use natural yogurt), messy but fun to eat!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->