Fasting whilst pregnant.

mummymia

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was just wondering if there is any other muslim mummies fasting and how are you finding it?

Ive kept all so far fingers crossed apart from a little bit of thirst ive been fine its also helped me quit smoking which is great cause ive been trying for ages.

How is everyone else keeping?

Im not a muslim mummy, just wanted to reply so you didnt feel like you was being ignored. Do you have morning sickness, as you must be so strong to be able to fast without eating, eating is "usually" the cure for me! How long do you have to fast for? Are you allowed to drink?

I thought that there was special dispensation for pregnant women/elderly/sick etc? I could fast right now because I am not hungry in the slightest!! But that's my MS! :lol:

well done on quitting smoking too! :D

x

Im not a muslim mummy, just wanted to reply so you didnt feel like you was being ignored. Do you have morning sickness, as you must be so strong to be able to fast without eating, eating is "usually" the cure for me! How long do you have to fast for? Are you allowed to drink?

Hi hun thanks,

Fingers crossed i dont really get MS we have to fast from 4am to 8pm, no eating or drinkin basically we are not allowed to swallow anything so it is pretty long but weyhey

Wow hun you have brilliant will power!

The quitting smoking is EXCELLENT! Well done hun! I wish I didn't eat so much as I am becoming the size of a small terraced house and I STILL feel sick! Nothing stops it!
xxx How many days does your fasting carry on for?

I thought that there was special dispensation for pregnant women/elderly/sick etc? I could fast right now because I am not hungry in the slightest!! But that's my MS! :lol:

well done on quitting smoking too! :D

x

Yes u r right pregnant women do not HAVE to fast if they dont feel up to it, however they must keep them afterwards..Darn fasting is very challenging lol. Yep its great that ive manged to quit smoking ive been trying for ages.:hugs:

Wow hun you have brilliant will power!

The quitting smoking is EXCELLENT! Well done hun! I wish I didn't eat so much as I am becoming the size of a small terraced house and I STILL feel sick! Nothing stops it!
xxx How many days does your fasting carry on for?

30 days 27 left! lol

Huh, that sounds rough. I'd never manage. Luckily, in Catholicism pregnant women are exempt from fasting days. As is anyone who might be at risk if they were to fast.

I am a Muslim mummy. Have three healthy children. Am pregnant again - very early stages (7 weeks). Fasted through two of my previous pregnancies (was too ill for one of them); and all went well with the two I fasted in.
I am fasting although the hours are painful...
Worried in the back of my mind about nutrition etc especially because of the importance of first trimester, but just read an article from British Medical Journal about how fasting does not affect final birth weight. (They studied over 4000 women) and in fact women who fasted for more than 20 days out of the 30 had the highest birth weights.
Good luck with the pregnancy and with the fasting...

I'm not Muslim, but I'm actually very glad someone posted a thread about this cause I was actually very curious about it! One of those weird, random thoughts I get... I don't mean to be offensive if I'm coming off that way, I'm just very curious about other cultures and religions and often wonder about things like this. :)

I was born, and grew up in a muslim country so understand to a degree. Good luck hun, and I hope Ramadan passes quickly for you.

Sorry i'm being thick, what did you mean you have to keep it afterwards? I too am curious... 4am - 8pm is an awfully long time, do your children do it aswell?

So you get to eat after 8pm then? I'd just sleep all day and stay awake all night eating till 4am. LOL.

I was also thinking about this on the bus this morning, I know Ramadan (sp) sorry if thats spelt wrong, has started, I think I'd suffer if I didnt eat regularly.

Fair play to for for still being able to do it, you must have a strong consitution. I find other religions fasinating :)

In Islam you do not fast if you are pregnant, sick, or breast feeding. There is a hadith that states this. You simply fast at a later time or feed a poor person. Good luck hun!

Sorry i'm being thick, what did you mean you have to keep it afterwards? I too am curious... 4am - 8pm is an awfully long time, do your children do it aswell?

I think she means you observe the fasting at a later date/time.

Hmm sorry but I feel that this is an uneccesary risk, especially as it's a choice not to fast if pregnant. My nutrition is top priority to me and my unborn baby. I am not Muslim but work in a school which is 90% Muslim so do have an understanding of this.

Hmm sorry but I feel that this is an uneccesary risk, especially as it's a choice not to fast if pregnant. My nutrition is top priority to me and my unborn baby. I am not Muslim but work in a school which is 90% Muslim so do have an understanding of this.

With the greatest of respect, working with any religion doesn't give you the appreciation that actually practising that religion can. She's probably eating better than I am outside of her fasting right now and you wouldnt judge me for not eating properly because I have raging morning sickness. :?

hey hun, keeping afterwards means when u feel better for eg after you've had the baby or if ur ill your illness has cured and no children do not have to fast it is only compulsory after puberty. Hope that makes sense.

Im not fasting today as didnt wake up to eat in the morning!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->